Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Video iPod

Video iPod (Page 2)
ApeInTheShell
Senior User
Oct 10, 2005, 10:05 PM

it's a tablet pc

ITGuru
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2005, 10:41 PM

Based on today's engineering principles you are correct. However, nanotechnology doesn't use today's engineering principles. Part of the magic of nanotechnology is that we don't see horrific inefficiencies in the AC-DC conversion. Nano-tubes allow the charge to occur without the catalytic reaction. One of the things that will make it cheaper and faster is the technology is easily portable. The automobile industry will absorb the big dollars spent on R&D and the technological adaptations can be easily ported to other industries. Toshiba has been working on a battery stable enough for production in the automobile industry since 1995. They and a Chinese company have developed such a battery. The Chinese simply cannot afford to mobilize a billion people using petroleum or even an efficient derivative. They must have a useable alternative before this mobilization is possible and they are not sitting on their Laurels. This is not a pipe dream. Batteries are about to get a whole lot better and a whole lot more powerful. Think about it, the first cell phones used "bricks" that took forever to charge. Today my Blackberry can fully charge in about 2 hours and last for several days while never being turned off. This is more than a nominal improvement in efficiency. Why isn't anyone questioning the third iteration of technology that we have today? Easy. It already exists. Fourth generation devices are going to be somewhat revolutionary. We are going to be able to charge batteries in a tenth of the time without the terrific heat transfer that you suggest must occur. I for one think it is about time for a paradigm shift. What you describe in the AC/DC conversion just doesn't have to happen anymore. Nanotechnology is not new and one of the other really cool things about it is that it is inexpensive to mass produce once the design is finished. Synthetic nano-crystals can achieve over 90 percent efficiency. The reason you aren't hearing big things about them is that few people have figured real world uses for them. That is about to change, significantly.

ITGuru
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2005, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by wilsonng
Even if this were to happen, this nanotechnology may still be too expensive to be used in a consumer product. Alot of our technological advances comes from military R&D. It takes years for it to enter the mass market. GPS was mostly used in military application first before it become cost-economical to be used in the civilian world. Same with laser technology.

Heck, only recently flash memory has become affordable enough to slip into the ipod nano but still not as cost-economical as a Microdrive.
I agreee that the initial introduction of certain military funded technologies were hard to justify in the civilian sector. Mostly because a private version of everything had to be reinvented, designed and implemented. The company that makes the heads up display is already mass producing. They are not selling classified technology so there is no readaptation period and the HDMI link is being widely used by the US military in stunning audio/visual field training equipment today. A DVD can "upload" hours of training exercises into a virtual environment with the help of a field tested chemically safe guess what... Hi-tech battery. I can't think of a better way to readapt this technology. Can you? You are right. The initial high end player may be upwards of a thousand dollars but think of what you are getting for that price.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 10, 2005, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by ITGuru
Based on today's engineering principles you are correct. However, nanotechnology doesn't use today's engineering principles. Part of the magic of nanotechnology is that we don't see horrific inefficiencies in the AC-DC conversion. Nano-tubes allow the charge to occur without the catalytic reaction. One of the things that will make it cheaper and faster is the technology is easily portable. The automobile industry will absorb the big dollars spent on R&D and the technological adaptations can be easily ported to other industries. Toshiba has been working on a battery stable enough for production in the automobile industry since 1995. They and a Chinese company have developed such a battery. The Chinese simply cannot afford to mobilize a billion people using petroleum or even an efficient derivative. They must have a useable alternative before this mobilization is possible and they are not sitting on their Laurels. This is not a pipe dream. Batteries are about to get a whole lot better and a whole lot more powerful. Think about it, the first cell phones used "bricks" that took forever to charge. Today my Blackberry can fully charge in about 2 hours and last for several days while never being turned off. This is more than a nominal improvement in efficiency. Why isn't anyone questioning the third iteration of technology that we have today? Easy. It already exists. Fourth generation devices are going to be somewhat revolutionary. We are going to be able to charge batteries in a tenth of the time without the terrific heat transfer that you suggest must occur. I for one think it is about time for a paradigm shift. What you describe in the AC/DC conversion just doesn't have to happen anymore. Nanotechnology is not new and one of the other really cool things about it is that it is inexpensive to mass produce once the design is finished. Synthetic nano-crystals can achieve over 90 percent efficiency. The reason you aren't hearing big things about them is that few people have figured real world uses for them. That is about to change, significantly.

If I'm reading this right, you're suggesting that nanotech batteries would be AC instead of DC (that's the only way to avoid the loss), and I don't see how that's even remotely possible (or a good idea).
Much of the battery life improvement in cellphones has come from making the phones draw less power, not making the batteries better (although that has also happened).

ITGuru
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2005, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by mduell
If I'm reading this right, you're suggesting that nanotech batteries would be AC instead of DC (that's the only way to avoid the loss), and I don't see how that's even remotely possible (or a good idea).
Much of the battery life improvement in cellphones has come from making the phones draw less power, not making the batteries better (although that has also happened).

I am not suggesting that the batteries would be AC. I am simply suggesting the AC/DC conversion will be significantly different than you are used to. You are right. They have improved them quite a bit.

Riddle me this. Why is Intel debuting a new chip for personal electronic devices when they have no personal electronic devices to announce themselves?

templetalker
Forum Regular
Oct 10, 2005, 11:13 PM

Dude apple is not some kind of Demi-god, I may not know much but why would they be the ONE to do this? You think the Powerbook and the iPod are revolutionary? I agree, but Apple is not the only company capable of producing such technology first. In fact they've been just like the Japanese, taking ideas from the best and implementing them all in one. Not to mention have you been to Japan lately? The iPod was a whisper there until recentley and I know for a fact that there technology institutes and overall aesthetic ROCKS America's socks off.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 10, 2005, 11:59 PM

Riddle me this. Why is Intel debuting a new chip for personal electronic devices when they have no personal electronic devices to announce themselves?
My Palm uses an Intel processor.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

ITGuru
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2005, 12:07 AM

Then why in the world did Sony pull its MP3 player from the market? Did it have too much or too little Japanese technology? I have been very explicit in my diatribe to not give Apple too much credit for anything. I gave them credit for USB and FireWire and now I will add that they codeveloped one of those technologies and implemented them both before anyone else. Sony had iLink. Why didn't they incorporate it in to some whiz-bang gadget? Because they lack what Apple has had all along... Vision. You are correct. Apple will not invent anything. They will merely incorporate a few existing technologies into something small and elegant, again! You are also correct to say that Apple merely looks at existing technologies and puts their own signature on it. It really is too bad that HP, with its 40 Billion dollars didn't invent the iPod. I guess they were waiting for Microsoft to come out with something that would have killed Apple once and for all. Guess what? They are still waiting. In the mean time, while Microsoft comes up with an answer to the iPod, Apple is going to come up with another revolutionary spin on a common theme, again! Oh, and Apple will use Intel's new personal digital entertainment chips. They have copyright infringement protection built in to them. I guess Intel is going to announce any day now the Intel personal digital entertainment gadget that incorporates really cool technology and then they are going to announce the Intel digital entertainment website that contains absolutely nothing because they haven't even been able to reach an agreement with a single soul that would be willing to provide content. You are right again about the iPod not being very popular in Japan. Do you know why? Japan doesn't have copyright laws and they certainly don't adhere to the ones we have here. The reason that people in Japan are warming up to the iPod is that the "try before you buy" philosophy makes sense and Japanese bands are only releasing their music on, you guessed it. iTunes Japan. Its kind of like Madonna said... I was sick of not being able to listen to my own music on my iPod. I personally think it takes genius to make end roads in a country where everything electronic is fair game. I have to be fair and answer your question. Why indeed would Apple be the ONE to do this. For the same reason that they were the ONE to introduce USB, SCSI, FireWire, SATA, and a solid GUI Unix environment as standard equipment. Because they have an uncanny knack at building a better mousetrap.

I am going to ask for posts pertaining to the ease of use and ease of programming of the modern VCR. Let's see. The VCR was introduced around 1978. It has been around for almost 30 years and nine out of ten people have a constant reminder of what is like to be a part of the technologically challenged. It comes in the form of a blinking 12:00 on the LED/LCD screen. If this is the best that the Japanese can do to develop ease of use, then I say we forgo Japanese influence on the new Apple Device and bring back the glowing click-wheel. It rocks.

ITGuru
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2005, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by mduell
I think you're a little overoptimistic about nanotech in batteries.

A typical laptop sucks down 15-20W; for 14 hours thats about 245Whr. To charge that in 10 minutes you'd need a charger to provide 1470W DC. Assuming an average AC-DC conversion efficiency you're looking at 2250W, or 18.8A at 120V. The outlets in most peoples houses are only rated at 15A, so we'll all need special outlets to charge our laptops. And in those 10 minutes, the battery charger would get hot enough to cook some eggs on.

The car battery example is even more bogus.
Reference this link, if nothing else it will enlighten you. The article is dated August 2004.

http://www.azonano.com/details.asp?ArticleID=656

I didn't write it, I merely referenced it.

templetalker
Forum Regular
Oct 11, 2005, 01:49 AM

Very nice post I agree, and a lot of this knowledge you're dropping is out of my range of information. I was enlightended in fact to information about firewire and usb. The Japanese iTunes store bit, well lets just say you're talking to somebody who happens to be connected with independent lables like Pizza of Death records Japan, and Ki/oon Japan, and Especial records and many others, and that person hasn't witnessed the kind of results you're talking about, could you share a link in Japanese or English? Thanks

[QUOTE=ITGuru]Then why in the world did Sony pull its MP3 player from the market? Did it have too much or too little Japanese technology? I have been very explicit in my diatribe to not give Apple too much credit for anything. I gave them credit for USB and FireWire and now I will add that they codeveloped one of those technologies and implemented them both before anyone else. Sony had iLink. Why didn't they incorporate it in to some whiz-bang gadget? Because they lack what Apple has had all along... Vision. You are correct. Apple will not invent anything. They will merely incorporate a few existing technologies into something small and elegant, again!

ITGuru
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2005, 02:56 AM

[QUOTE=templetalker]Very nice post I agree, and a lot of this knowledge you're dropping is out of my range of information. I was enlightended in fact to information about firewire and usb. The Japanese iTunes store bit, well lets just say you're talking to somebody who happens to be connected with independent lables like Pizza of Death records Japan, and Ki/oon Japan, and Especial records and many others, and that person hasn't witnessed the kind of results you're talking about, could you share a link in Japanese or English? Thanks

Then why in the world did Sony pull its MP3 player from the market? Did it have too much or too little Japanese technology? I have been very explicit in my diatribe to not give Apple too much credit for anything. I gave them credit for USB and FireWire and now I will add that they codeveloped one of those technologies and implemented them both before anyone else. Sony had iLink. Why didn't they incorporate it in to some whiz-bang gadget? Because they lack what Apple has had all along... Vision. You are correct. Apple will not invent anything. They will merely incorporate a few existing technologies into something small and elegant, again!

ITGuru
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2005, 02:57 AM

Forgive me for not knowing exactly what you are looking for. Please be more specific in your request. What links would you like to see?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 11, 2005, 03:04 AM

Reference this link, if nothing else it will enlighten you. The article is dated August 2004.

http://www.azonano.com/details.asp?ArticleID=656

I didn't write it, I merely referenced it.
Prototype batteries using nanoparticles have also been developed that offer 10x the charge and discharge rate (with 100x having been suggested as possible at times) of conventional rechargeable batteries.

The prototypes aren't even close to what you were claiming.

Because they sell a few million chips a year for PDAs (Dell, HPQ, Palm, et al).

eddiecatflap
Baninated
Oct 11, 2005, 09:43 AM

a little bird told me it's coming out wednesday , will be the full width of an ipod . no scrollwheel . the display is touch sensitive a la nintendo ds

I WAS the One
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 11, 2005, 09:54 AM

When do we care more on nanowhatever than brand new Apple toys??? Jess
Enjoy My Mac Comic @ BLAST COMICS

ITGuru
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2005, 02:19 PM

[QUOTE=templetalker]Very nice post I agree, and a lot of this knowledge you're dropping is out of my range of information. I was enlightended in fact to information about firewire and usb. The Japanese iTunes store bit, well lets just say you're talking to somebody who happens to be connected with independent lables like Pizza of Death records Japan, and Ki/oon Japan, and Especial records and many others, and that person hasn't witnessed the kind of results you're talking about, could you share a link in Japanese or English? Thanks

I should clarify that Apple iTunes Japan is offering exclusive content on its store in Japan. This blurb is from the iTunes Japan site.

“iTunes has become Japan’s number one online music store in just four days,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “iTunes has sold twice as many songs in just four days as all the other online music services in Japan sell in one month.”

The iTunes Music Store in Japan gives music fans the same innovative features, breakthrough pricing, seamless integration with iPod® and groundbreaking personal use rights that have made iTunes the number one online music service in the world, with over 500 million songs purchased and downloaded. The iTunes Music Store in Japan features local favorites including iTunes Originals from globe and Ulfuls, exclusives from Def Tech, Crazy Ken Band, Chara, Little Creatures, Chie Ayado and The Complete B’z digital box set. Other iTunes exclusives include music from international artists such as U2, Jack Johnson and Björk, and over 10,000 audiobooks, including works by Japanese authors.

With iTunes 4.9, listeners have everything they need to discover, subscribe, manage and listen to Podcasts built right in. The iTunes Music Store in Japan includes a wide variety of Japanese-language Podcasts, such as InterFM, Radio SOTOKOTO and Radio Nikkei.

I didn't mean to insinuate that they had a lock on distribution in Japan.

lunaticbunny
Forum Regular
Oct 12, 2005, 12:34 AM

If the iPod video does prove true tomorrow, is the current iPod screen capable of playing smooth video with good resolution?

How will they decode the video? And what video formats would they support?

I'm just hoping for even better battery life, smaller design and higher resolution.
17" PowerBook 1.33GHz
1GB Ram

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 12, 2005, 02:28 AM

While I can't share his optimism without seeing actual proof for sale, I really enjoy ITGuru's posts.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

macwayne
Forum Regular
Oct 12, 2005, 08:09 AM

I think this ipod will play your home movies, syncing with iMovie through the firewire interface. I also think we'll see a bigger screen (for better visuals) with a smaller click wheel (which has already been proven with the nano to work quite well), This will get people used to the idea of sharing their home movies, it's very consumer oriented and of course the method will be transparent and seamless to the end user. This will be the Christmas of personal home movies on your ipod! Commercial movies? I would be surprised if that happens today, maybe later next year....

ccrider
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 12, 2005, 03:18 PM

No firewire support on video ipod- only USB2

USB through Dock connector; composite video (with AV cable, sold separately) and audio through headphone jack or line out on the iPod Universal Dock (sold separately)

lame...

There's a new universal dock as well:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...nMore=MA045G/A

Uses a remote to control iPod and also has video out for the video ipod

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 12, 2005, 03:31 PM

There's no support for an in-line wired remote control like previous models had. It may sounds stupid, but that's the thing that's stopping me from pulling the trigger and ordering one. I use my remote a lot. I hate having to take the iPod out of my pocket, turn off hold, turn hold back on and put it back in my pocket when all I wanted to do was turn the volume down a notch or pause playback for a second.

Also, I'm disappointed that it's not widescreen. Other than that, though, very nice looking.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 12, 2005, 03:32 PM

Double post. Thank you crappy forum software!

freudling
Banned
Oct 12, 2005, 04:01 PM

It looks cool. However, nice PDAs are cool, which sport a better, bigger screen and loads more functionality. Also, I hope flash memory hits hard, because there is already a 16 mb chip floating around. That would up the bar - PDA's would be more competitive. I thought Apple might make it a widescreen, but no go.

bombadil
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2005, 04:46 PM

Can you store movies on it at any resolution you want for external use? And if you can will higher resolution videos play at a lower resolution when playing them on the ipod screen itself?

If the answer to these questions is "yes" i'll buy one, otherwise I'll keep waiting.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 12, 2005, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by bombadil
Can you store movies on it at any resolution you want for external use? And if you can will higher resolution videos play at a lower resolution when playing them on the ipod screen itself?

If the answer to these questions is "yes" i'll buy one, otherwise I'll keep waiting.
I don't think so, no.

I WAS the One
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 12, 2005, 05:22 PM

Let's get REAL people...
The AV500 its the intelligent way to go.

the New iPod is not better than the AV500, and the only thing I like about the ViPod is that Apple made it. but... well, I will be teaching my Mac how to play with the brand new Archos AV500, today I realized that. I was hoping that Apple bring something real good, better than the AV500.
Sorry Steve, the ViPod need to grow. not buying now. maybe the next generation.

NO WAY JOSE....

bombadil
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2005, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Icruise
I don't think so, no.
Its probably not be for me then, though it looks pretty cool. I'm sure it will sell extremely well.

I WAS the One
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 12, 2005, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by bombadil
Its probably not be for me then, though it looks pretty cool. I'm sure it will sell extremely well.
go for the AV500, its the intelligent way to go.

badtz
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2005, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by I WAS the One
go for the AV500, its the intelligent way to go.
You do realize that's a dedicated video playing device right?

the iPod is a MUSIC device that now has limited VIDEO playback (which will be fine for most).

Also, I'm sure developers will start to make apps that will re-encode your videos to the iPod resolution for users.

Also, the AV500 doesn't decode H.264.

I WAS the One
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 12, 2005, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by badtz
You do realize that's a dedicated video playing device right?

the iPod is a MUSIC device that now has limited VIDEO playback (which will be fine for most).

Also, I'm sure developers will start to make apps that will re-encode your videos to the iPod resolution for users.

Also, the AV500 doesn't decode H.264.
hey! it plays Mp3s at 192kpbs high quality, almost equal to .m4p or ACC, I went to sharper image at a mall near home and hear it with and without headphones, and believe me, it sounds GREAT! and I mean, GREAT! I understand you will justify and defend the iPod, I love Macs to and so Apple, but being real is buying the AV and not the iPod, if you want the Best in all the features! sorry.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 12, 2005, 05:47 PM

I think we will see something that is a rival for the archos device in the future (i.e. a dedicated video playing device). You're right that this is a music player that can also play some video. Not the other way around. It'll probably have to wait until Apple gets support for downloading entire movies, for example.

BTW I'm sure the archos device sounds fine when it plays music, but it's no iPod.

badtz
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2005, 05:53 PM

hey! it plays Mp3s at 192kpbs high quality, almost equal to .m4p or ACC, I went to sharper image at a mall near home and hear it with and without headphones, and believe me, it sounds GREAT! and I mean, GREAT! I understand you will justify and defend the iPod, I love Macs to and so Apple, but being real is buying the AV and not the iPod, if you want the Best in all the features! sorry.
I definitely don't doubt that the AV500 plays great, I'm pretty sure it does.

All I'm saying is that it's targeted at a different audience.

It's bigger. Not music centric. etc. etc.

teney7
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 12, 2005, 06:07 PM

I like the video iPod and I want to get one... I see that it comes with a case, though, I wonder if it is just the standard black belt clip case that they have used for a while now

lamewing
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 12, 2005, 06:14 PM

I am interested in the VideoPod, but I still have reservations about how Apple is going to strong-arm the way it is used? I guess I have two questions:

1. Can I transfer my files from my Tivo to my PC (yes) and then to the VideoPod? I am sure there will be waaay to much proprietary nonsense on both sides for something like this to work.

2. Can I rip my DVDs to the video iPod and watch them between classes? I would be pleased with a nice AnimePod. Before anyone freaks and screams...pirate...be aware that MS and Intel are looking to make the new HD DVD (versus BluRay DVD) capable of downloading the video from the DVD's to a PVP. I would hope that Apple plans on doing the same thing. I really don't wish to play the oh, I have my movies, anime, etc. on DVD, UMD and now downloadable content versus just letting me rip my vids to the device for use around town.

I can already do all of this with my Cowon X5L (push a couple of buttons and whamo), but the new iPod definately has a nicer screen. It would be eaiser on my old eyes.

Has anyone seen info on what limitations Apple is going to put on the iPod regarding video? Are we going to have to buy and download all the content? Thanks

IFLY2HIGH
Senior User
Oct 12, 2005, 06:15 PM

Converting my existing FCP movies to iPod format is slick and simple with Quicktime Pro Export feature. Takes a 175 meg full blown FCP video to a iPod compatable movie to 4.1 megs, pretty damn good, and I can't tell the difference in quality but it's just a smaller framed up movie. Can't wait to load up the new pod when I get it and give it a whirl...
- Eric

I WAS the One
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 12, 2005, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Icruise
I'm sure the archos device sounds fine when it plays music, but it's no iPod.
Believe me, you can't tell the difference, it's almost equal. you will need electronic devices to know the exact difference.

I WAS the One
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 12, 2005, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by lamewing
1. Can I transfer my files from my Tivo to my PC (yes) and then to the VideoPod?
You Can with the AV500

2. Can I rip my DVDs to the video iPod and watch them between classes?
You Can with the AV500

Has anyone seen info on what limitations Apple is going to put on the iPod regarding video? Are we going to have to buy and download all the content? Thanks
With the AV500 you don't even have the macrovision copy protection from the DVDs!

badtz
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2005, 06:38 PM

Regarding DVD ripping, I highly doubt that any major manufacturer will have software that is bundled in, that will let you rip a commercial DVD straight to whatever format it uses.

This will circumvent CSS, and they wouldn't want to upset them.

What I will bet though, is that within the next short months, some developers will develop software that will let you re-encode any of your videos (divx/xvid/mp4/h.264/etc) into an "iPod friendly" format.

For now, you could rip your own DVD (strip protection), downsize it yourself, and place it on the iPod if you want to watch a DVD on the iPod

viruscool
Forum Regular
Oct 12, 2005, 07:02 PM

I agree with the rest, the AV500 is a better video playback system, but it's deffinately aimed a different audience, I believe that Apple will bring out an iPod Video sometime next year to compete in that market, once they have full movie downloads sorted. The iPod is just a better system for a lot of people, more music centric, people who only really want to watch small movies every now and then, thats the way I see it.
So there is no need to turn this thread into a pro AV500, now is there?
(The dark lord has risen again......Beware)

wilsonng
Senior User
Oct 12, 2005, 07:08 PM

so what happened to the remote connector? I was looking at Apple's iPod page. I looked at the top-down profile and saw it had a headphone port and hold switch but no remote connector.

I guess this makes my AirClick remote obsolete?

Well, I guess the iPod's halo effect will take hold over me.

My 2 year old PowerBook only has USB 1.1. I'm gonna have to get a Mac Mini now just to get USB 2.0 so that I can download stuff on to the new iPod which only has USB connections.

I WAS the One
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 12, 2005, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by viruscool
I agree with the rest, the AV500 is a better video playback system, but it's deffinately aimed a different audience, I believe that Apple will bring out an iPod Video sometime next year to compete in that market, once they have full movie downloads sorted. The iPod is just a better system for a lot of people, more music centric, people who only really want to watch small movies every now and then, thats the way I see it.
So there is no need to turn this thread into a pro AV500, now is there?
it wasn't my intention. I just wanted to point out that with the AV500 you get more for your money, thats all... iPod is iPod no matter how you see it. and hey! is Apple branded!

(but I'm stuck with the AV, sorry)

I WAS the One
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 12, 2005, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by badtz
Regarding DVD ripping, I highly doubt that any major manufacturer will have software that is bundled in, that will let you rip a commercial DVD straight to whatever format it uses.
trust me. NO MICROVISION protection. thats awsome! you can check it out yourself!

freudling
Banned
Oct 12, 2005, 07:19 PM

AV500 comparison:

Namely, you can't. While I am leaning toward a PDA - higher end - no way does anything out there sync like an iPod. That is what makes it really good and makes me still ponder what to do. If you are a bit older like me, you probably don't have the time to play with ripping DVD's and convert them to a format for playback on a little device for viewing. Even if you do, the syncability of the iPod saves a lot of time.

My Sony Clie was great, but trying to sync video/music was horrid. Even though it would show up as a drive on my Mac (in iTunes too), I had to drag songs over physically, then make my playlists manually on the device. I don't have time to do that with 1000 songs, let alone 200. As well, the video required tweaking out settings and converting files to the right format, which takes oodles of time I don't have.

The iPod - just sync it with iTunes: instant playlists, podcasts (both audio and video), etc.

I can just imagine what the AV500 would require regarding syncing...

Plus, most PDA's, aside from our little AV500 comparison, are dog slow. The iPod also sports great features like world clocks, ical and address book, to name a few. All that syncing with a few clicks. If anybody, like me, has "struggled" with their PDA's via Hotsync Manager, they will run toward an iPod.

I WAS the One
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 12, 2005, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by freudling
AV500 comparison:

Namely, you can't. While I am leaning toward a PDA - higher end - no way does anything out there sync like an iPod. That is what makes it really good and makes me still ponder what to do. If you are a bit older like me, you probably don't have the time to play with ripping DVD's and convert them to a format for playback on a little device for viewing. Even if you do, the syncability of the iPod saves a lot of time.

My Sony Clie was great, but trying to sync video/music was horrid. Even though it would show up as a drive on my Mac (in iTunes too), I had to drag songs over physically, then make my playlists manually on the device. I don't have time to do that with 1000 songs, let alone 200. As well, the video required tweaking out settings and converting files to the right format, which takes oodles of time I don't have.

The iPod - just sync it with iTunes: instant playlists, podcasts (both audio and video), etc.

I can just imagine what the AV500 would require regarding syncing...

Plus, most PDA's, aside from our little AV500 comparison, are dog slow. The iPod also sports great features like world clocks, ical and address book, to name a few. All that syncing with a few clicks. If anybody, like me, has "struggled" with their PDA's via Hotsync Manager, they will run toward an iPod.
This will be my last post about the AV500:
1) it comes with an iTunes plug in for the music, it transfer all your library, the way you have it organized on your Mac. (sorry no ACCs just Mp3s)

2) you record your movies real time, like using a VCR. no need to ripping whatever you mean.

3) it hold files like a back up disk

4) it work like a TIVO itself, just select the channel, select time, it will record it for you. AS SIMPLE AS THAT.

no nerd skills, just play, stop, rec... the usual.

simple, better and useful.

just go ahead and read it yourself. I do not work with Archos.com, I'm just buying a product that I think is better than the iPod, and I am recomend it to everyone I know that doesn't know about it. go spend your money the way you liked, I love Apple, I repeat, I'm just been real.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 12, 2005, 08:01 PM

Believe me, you can't tell the difference, it's almost equal. you will need electronic devices to know the exact difference.
You're missing my point. The Archos is much bigger and lacks the scroll wheel and iTunes integration of the iPod. I'm sure it's great for its intended purpose, but it's not really a realistic iPod replacement for most people.

Daveecee
Forum Regular
Oct 12, 2005, 09:11 PM

1) it comes with an iTunes plug in for the music, it transfer all your library, the way you have it organized on your Mac. (sorry no ACCs just Mp3s)
All my music is AAC format, and I'm not taking the time to convert it back

wilsonng
Senior User
Oct 12, 2005, 09:47 PM

Well, as much as I'd love an iPod video, I'm keeping my first generation PowerBook 12" to watch my QuickTime movies.

When I saw the Apple home page, I was thrilled. After settling down and catching my breath, I had to take a realistic look at my budget. - iPod Video $300, new Mac Mini with USB 2.0 $600. I'm gonna have to wait. Nonetheless, this is the first time I've had the iPod halo happen occur to me. It gives me a strong urge to upgrade.

Watching on a 2.5" screen is not my idea of fun. It's nice for music videos and video podcasts but I think I still prefer the combination of my PB 12", QuickTime Player, and VLC to play my movies. I'm guaranteed to play any kind of video without transcoding to 320x240.

It's a nice gadget and I definitely wouldn't refuse it if my wife read my mind and bought one for me for Christmas.

Honey, are you read this post?
( Last edited by wilsonng; Oct 12, 2005 at 09:54 PM. )

Senbei
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2005, 11:26 PM

You are right again about the iPod not being very popular in Japan. Do you know why? Japan doesn't have copyright laws and they certainly don't adhere to the ones we have here.
They do have copyright laws which in essense is at times more restrictive especially in the area of fair use. Extensions to the law can also be found in broadcast television where it varies even amongst the different broadcasters. Rather than rehash what has already been covered better elsewhere:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_copyright_law

http://www.cric.or.jp/cric_e/index.html contains most of the details which are glossed over by the wiki.

Additionally for music, there is JASRAC which is akin to ASCAP. JASRAC oversees the licensing component which also includes provisioning fees for music CD rentals, background music, ringtones, and karaoke.

Some portions of the wiki entry are outdated like for copy protection. Sony Music Entertainment Japan did implement LabelGate (LGCD) around 2003 and "upgraded" it to LGCD2 sometime in 2004 but ended up stopping it earlier this year. Part of the technology still lives on in their online music component, Mora.

Also, one of the main factors for the iPod taking off slower in Japan had really little to do with the copyright issue or "trying before buying" as it has to do with purchasing options and form factor preferences. The music rental market has been popular for a long time with the majority of these rental shops having an yearly JASRAC license (so from an industry perspective, there is no loss if people buy CD's or rent just as there won't be a loss for any online sales since there is also a specific JASRAC provisioning article covering that). There is also a healthy used CD market where the turnaround time for a new release being on the used shelf is rather quick (and where it can be a substantial bargain off the artificially created price floor of their domestic market). If you looked at the time when mp3 trading over p2p's was popular in the west, most of what the Japanese were sharing were the large promotional videos associated with a single. mp3's were not necessarily in fashion on Japanese filesharing in the earlier days because of the alternative means of accessing music and as such, the need for mp3 music players was not necessarily a high demand item.

The MiniDisc form factor was also very popular and continued to be with the NetMD. Another aspect was the fact that many younger people used their keitai (mobile phone) for entertainment doing either regular voice messaging or quite a bit of text messaging. If they wanted music, they would hang out with friends at a karaoke room as opposed to listening to music on tinny sounding ear buds. And there are some karaoke rooms that have connectors you can plug into for recording which is what many did with their MD's. And since many sleep on the train, there was very little need for having another portable music player.

The Japanese consumer market however digs trendiness and given how the iPod has become in-vogue, it is no surprise that this aspect is one of the key variables that will drive purchasing decisions for the product. However, until Sony Music Entertainment Japan(the parent label) jumps on board, that leaves out a large portion of the music market in Japan (look at how many sub labels they have: Antinos Records Inc., Epic Records (Japan), gr8! records, Ki/oon Records, Loopa, SME Records, SMEJ Associated Records, Sony Techno S3). The only reason some SMEJ artists are making their own deals with Apple Japan is because the labels there are more of a distribution and support mechanism as opposed to rightsholders (see Japanese copyright laws regarding author's rights for example). However, only a relatively small number are doing any sort of negotiation at the moment as many are just going to take a wait and see attitude rather than rocking the boat at this moment (which as part of Japanese business, is particularly a big faux pas). SMEJ in the meantime is in a quandry as it invested heavily in LabelGate technology and would sorely hate to have that all wasted by having to dump Mora which as mentioned, reuses portions of it.

stwain2003
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 13, 2005, 12:01 AM

Will You Shut Up About The Av500!!!!!!!!! Jeez. Read Your Own Signature And Get That We Don't Care!!!!
8GB iPhone
Coming Soon: Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz

Rob van dam
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 13, 2005, 12:34 AM

Does anyone know why the 60gb ipod has more battery life than 30 gb ipod? I thought it would be the other way around with the 30gb having more battery life due to smaller size.Also am i the only who was hoping for 80gb.
Apple an innovator in a world of Immitators.
And thats the bottom line!!!!!!!!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules