Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Backpack / bag / sleeve for your Mac Notebook? *Look here*

Backpack / bag / sleeve for your Mac Notebook? *Look here* (Page 22)
MacChicaroo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2008, 06:15 PM

How did you engrave the apple logo on like that?

I bought this one for my air and I love it. Nice and slim but has ample protection.
SFBags - WaterField Designs - MacBook Air Sleeve - Macbook Air Case - Laptop Sleeve - Computer Sleeve - Notebook Sleeve - Laptop Case - MacBook Sleeve - PC Sleeve - DVD Player Case

shawnh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 25, 2008, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by MacChicaroo View Post
How did you engrave the apple logo on like that?

I bought this one for my air and I love it. Nice and slim but has ample protection.
SFBags - WaterField Designs - MacBook Air Sleeve - Macbook Air Case - Laptop Sleeve - Computer Sleeve - Notebook Sleeve - Laptop Case - MacBook Sleeve - PC Sleeve - DVD Player Case
Its one of those stickers apple includes with all their stuff.

rambo47
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2008, 10:39 PM

For the well-heeled among MacBook Air owners, check out the Hermes Yohji Bag.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 28, 2008, 01:08 PM

Do full-sized Apple stores carry Macbook bags? I would like to get a look at any bag I would buy.

Does anyone have a Marware Sportfolio Deluxe? How much actual protection does it offer?

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 28, 2008, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Do full-sized Apple stores carry Macbook bags? I would like to get a look at any bag I would buy.

Does anyone have a Marware Sportfolio Deluxe? How much actual protection does it offer?
Yes .. they do carry them. I bought one there. (By Incase)

I do not know of the bag that you speak so I can't help you there.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

plasticmoz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 1, 2008, 11:27 AM

After having used the Booq Vyper Exo for a while with my new Penryn 15" MBP I have to say it's the best laptop bag I've owned. You can fit a ton of stuff in there, and it's compact and super sturdy. Excellent bag. You can pick it up for $166 from eBay (an actual dealer, brand new) with shipping included.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2008, 04:37 PM

I had missed the Booq bag. It's nice. There is even a review on MacNN on it. I'm going to order one when I free some cash.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2008, 06:21 AM

Lots of free cash. I wanted a Booq badly, but didn't want to spend that much on it.

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 2, 2008, 10:42 PM

I picked up this CaseLogic messenger bag a couple weeks ago, and I couldn't be happier with the style/price/functionality combo it gives me. Highly recommended, especially for MacBook owners.

CaseLogic Messenger Bag

the geek source
Twitter: @thegeeksource

bishopazrael
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 6, 2008, 12:31 PM

Does anyone here have an Oalkey sandbag? The original version, not the new ones. I've been looking at buying one, but right now funds are low so I've been putting it off for a while.
Backups are like guns and condoms. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

hacktic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 19, 2008, 10:09 AM

i'm using bagjack x headporter

G4Man
May 21, 2008, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by hacktic View Post
i'm using bagjack x headporter
just what i need, where can i find one?

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2008, 11:49 AM

Berlin ?

adachis
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2008, 10:15 PM

I've gone through so many laptop bags, never quite being satisfied, that I decided to make my own. I didn't get very far, mainly because of time, but then I saw a post in the Modern Materialist (it's a nerve.com blog) about DDIY (Don't Do It Yourself). There's a feature on etsy.com called Alchemy where you can basically ask for whatever you want and how much you're willing to pay and a bunch of people will bid for the opportunity to make it. I designed a bag that fit all the things I like to carry in individual pockets, then a middle sleeve for a magazine, papers, etc., and then another sleeve in the back for my MacBook Air (with or without a sleeve). A woman named Kathryn, who has a company called Zakiyaa, made the bag for me and suggested some good changes that made the bag a lot better. She also put my logo on it, which is kind of neat. So, I ended up with exactly the bag I wanted for less money than some of the other bags I've purchased (namely Booq). It's also a vegan-friendly bag. I'm not a vegan, but that makes this option good for vegans. Kathryn did a really great job and I wanted to help get her more business and that's why I'm posting about it. I also feel like other people would benefit as well. If you'd like to take a look at the bag she made for me, I posted some pictures on flickr (and will probably post some more soon):

Zakiyaa Custom Bag - a set on Flickr

- Adam

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2008, 11:41 AM

I have gone through Booq (zip broke), KTM (pocket stitching came loose on 2 bags and I lost USB keys out of the holes :/ ), and a few others, all with issues.

These days I stick with 2 brands only... Timbuk2, and Crumpler. Had 3+ of each bag, and no problems at all.

macairy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2008, 02:13 AM

Just got myself a crazy thin mac air ,bought a mini sleepingbag for air and macbook from Furryrobo looks cool.

mbookb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2008, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by harbinger75 View Post
I picked up this CaseLogic messenger bag a couple weeks ago, and I couldn't be happier with the style/price/functionality combo it gives me. Highly recommended, especially for MacBook owners.

CaseLogic Messenger Bag

I think I'm getting that one, probably in gray or black

fareal
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2008, 10:08 AM

I bought this semi-hard sleeve for my new MacBook
Infocase Endo Sleeve for MacBook

I bought it from Buy.com since they offer free shipping.

This sleeve fits perfectly into my backpack that I used to use for my PC Notebook. It fits into the padded sleeve built into the backpack. So I actually have double protection for the MacBook.. an outer soft padding from the backpack sleeve and the Infocase Endo Sleeve's semi-hard sleeve.

I say semi-hard instead of hard because the sleeve is not completely stiff, but it does offer great protection.

It is pretty, but I primarily use it inside my backpack anyway, and it does its job.

maclover192
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2008, 01:56 PM

Here is another macbook cover line out of the US:
http://www.isisdei.com
I like the memory foam better than the neoprene cases.

daveyboi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2008, 07:13 PM

saw it online and have been waiting to get it and when it did, i bought it
incase 13'' macbook case in white!!!

meerteen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 20, 2008, 06:38 PM

Celly Smart 15" Laptop Bag from at Paces Cases

Currently using it for my 13" macbook. I like the fact that I have enough space to put 2 or 3 books and the power cords.

Padding: Average to Very good. Not as thick as the 15" STM Medium Alley, but protected well enough.
Pocket Space: Loads of pockets space in the front/interior/back. Pocket for ipod with hole.
Nice sturdy shoulder strap; Well made.

senseigmg
Forum Regular
Jul 27, 2008, 10:20 PM

I just got the Shinza Zeroshock III and I absolutely love it. I used a Booq Vyper with my 12" powerbook, which was nice, but not nearly as padded as the Shinza. It also got to my house in about a week.
Blackbook 2.4ghz/250gb/2gb

bandshook
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 28, 2008, 06:53 PM

Has anyone seen a silicone form-fitting softcase sold by US retailers?

I found what looks like the perfect softcase:
http://www.tradekey.com/product_view...ack=kss_ptitle

Problem is it's sold by a Chinese exporter and you need to buy a minumum quantity of 1,000.

Anything like it available here in the states?

newmacbookowner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 3, 2008, 10:59 PM

Does anyone have a suggestion for a bag/backpack that would be good to carry textbooks and a 15 inch macbook?

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 4, 2008, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by newmacbookowner View Post
Does anyone have a suggestion for a bag/backpack that would be good to carry textbooks and a 15 inch macbook?
I like my North Face pack, a Yavapai. Lots of book space, lots of space for pens and pencils and such, and a very nicely padded space for the computer. My 15" MBP rides inside its Incase sleeve all the time, and that goes right into the computer space.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

quattrokid73
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 8, 2008, 05:31 PM

I just got a Booq Python XM and I can honestly say there is no better backpack for my needs. Looks killer, excellent space and organization, and it's made well. $200 is very steep, but after being dissatisfied with Timbuk2, Chrome, inCase, Crumpler, and Maxpedition, I'm happy to have a good one. I will definitly get a messenger bag again in the future, but backpacks seem to be the way to go for hauling a heavy laptop.
MBP 2.4, 2gb, 8600GT, 120gb 7200rpm; white iPhone 3G

kenna
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2008, 05:06 PM

Booq Mamba Backpack

LArobe Black & White for MacBook

Just bought these hopefully arrive within 2 weeks
MacBook Pro 17" 2.2 GHz quad-core, 2x4GB 1333MHz RAM, 750GB Hard Drive, Intel HD Graphics 3000,
AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 1GB GDDR5, Mid 2011

MacBook Air 13" 1.7 GHz dual-core Intel i5, 4GB RAM, 128GB Flash Storage, Intel HD Graphics 3000, Mid 2011
iPhone 4 32 GB, Mid 2010

Bags
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2008, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by The Placid Casual View Post
I have gone through Booq (zip broke), KTM (pocket stitching came loose on 2 bags and I lost USB keys out of the holes :/ ), and a few others, all with issues.

These days I stick with 2 brands only... Timbuk2, and Crumpler. Had 3+ of each bag, and no problems at all.
Did you ever check out the warranty on those bags that broke? Just about all laptop bag manufacturers offer some type of warranty. Some manufacturers (Briggs-Riley comes to mind) seem to offer a really great warranty that covers just about anything that could go wrong for a long time.

If you have any warranty stories; good or bad - please tell me about that. I'm [email protected]. We'll be publishing a bag warranty page this fall that will describe the warranties offered by the companies whose bags we review.

BreadRecipe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2008, 07:19 PM

Anyone know of a good bag that will fit a 17" MBP and a 17" Alienware nice and snugly. I found a fantastic bag for the Alienware (as it dual boots) but I don't think it will fit a MBP with the neoprene sleeve. https://shop.canonical.com/product_i...roducts_id=123
/sudo apt-get upgrade checking account balance <enter>...?

www.Failblog.org

kenna
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 20, 2008, 07:15 PM

Original Post

Just received my Mamba Pack and LArobe cases for my MacBook.

I'm extremely impressed with Booq's Mamba Pack, for me - a University Student on the move wanting maximum protection with vast storage in a compact case - I believe I have made the right choice.

Not only are the compartments spacious, the laptop holder is exceptional....

Fits 13 inch to 17 inch MacBook's. With the LArobe case my MacBook slots in perfectly; doubling the safety of my Mac.

A free pencil case and nerdy keyring added to the satisfaction of this product and I especially like that the zip is hidden by the material on the bag to increase the efficiency of the waterproof coating.

Overall First impressions

The LArobe case is highly recommended via the apple store and I am impressed by the protection this case offers. It has a compact profile and made of a spongy material that returns to its former form after being held. The Zip comfortably fits around the outside of the case leaving little room for potential damage spots.

Whilst being a great alternative to a backpack, I would still recommend an investment to both products as combined I believe they are a fantastic duo.

Overall first impressions:
MacBook Pro 17" 2.2 GHz quad-core, 2x4GB 1333MHz RAM, 750GB Hard Drive, Intel HD Graphics 3000,
AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 1GB GDDR5, Mid 2011

MacBook Air 13" 1.7 GHz dual-core Intel i5, 4GB RAM, 128GB Flash Storage, Intel HD Graphics 3000, Mid 2011
iPhone 4 32 GB, Mid 2010

Rumor
Aug 27, 2008, 04:40 PM

I have a 15" MBP, ride my bike around often, and am in need of two things:

A case that is padded very well, that will fit inside:

A backpack that is somewhat padded, but has enough room to hold my power adapter, mouse, text books, and beer.

Any suggestions?
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

furio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2008, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
I have a 15" MBP, ride my bike around often, and am in need of two things:

A case that is padded very well, that will fit inside:

A backpack that is somewhat padded, but has enough room to hold my power adapter, mouse, text books, and beer.

Any suggestions?
Check out Axio Hardsleeves:
http://www.axio-usa.com/hardsleeves.html

A bit pricey, but it provides a lot of protection. I've used it for over a year and it's kept my MBP in great shape. No dents or anything.

You'll have to get a bigger bag/backpack than ones made for the the 15" as the case adds a bit of size to it.
TypeFish.com
My current iPhone typing speed: ~30wpm

uprisingpure
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2008, 09:48 PM

Has anyone bought the Incase Nylon Messenger Bag? I was looking at this to use like a backpack replacement but wasn't sure if it would be large enough. The bag looks really cool though.

http://www.goincase.com/products/det...er-bag-cl55039

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 21, 2008, 09:08 AM

I don't have one, but it looks big enough, depending on what you're carrying along with the computer that is. As for "backpack replacement," that depends on how you travel and where you travel. I couldn't get along without a backpack-style backpack—a messenger bag just wouldn't cut it for the kind of stuff I do.

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2008, 05:11 PM

The new MacBook Pros are a bit larger (almost an inch wider, I think). Any suggestions on cases/bags/sleeves that will work for the new wider size?

Edit: Nevermind, I was comparing to my powerbook G4 which is about 3/4 inch narrower, but the new MPB is only 1/4 inch wider than the old one.

ImpulseResponse

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 21, 2008, 08:38 PM

You'll also find that with the new MBPs being noticeably thinner, that most sleeves for the old ones will fit fine. I'm certain my Incase sleeve will fit any 15" MBP, original form factor or new.

43skidoo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2008, 04:48 PM

See, this is yet another reason why I love Macs. The accessories are absolutely to die for.

"Suppose he's got a pointed stick?"

r2g2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2008, 01:49 PM

Never heard of them before... They have some neat stuff - I emailed them a few days ago if they support the new Macbook aluminum and they actually do (they said that they are updating their site) - Pretty cool fabrics and their wallets are nice too IMHO - http://www.simonandcleo.com

ilovemymac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2008, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by r2g2 View Post
Never heard of them before... They have some neat stuff - I emailed them a few days ago if they support the new Macbook aluminum and they actually do (they said that they are updating their site) - Pretty cool fabrics and their wallets are nice too IMHO - http://www.simonandcleo.com
their designs seem like a ripe off of

fabrixcases.com
foofshop.com

The stitchings doesnt look very straight to me thou. anyone has one of them and got a review of their products ?

r2g2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2008, 08:03 PM

Not yet - but will order soon. with this logic Fabrixsleeves looks like a rip off of Foof and vice versa as well. just like dell's are a rip off of hp etc. I have 2 foof sleeves and they are awesome - i didnt see the same sleeves on these sites that are identical. All of them offer open sided sleeves with interesting fabrics.

asyrum
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 27, 2008, 05:47 PM

1... if you put your 15'' MBP into a sleeve, does it still fit into the messenger bags that say they fit they 15'' or does it have to be out of a sleeve? it's hard to know the fit shopping online.

2... if you put a hard case on your laptop, does it still then fit in the sleeve?

3... is getting a hard case to resist scratches, a sleeve to resist water, and a messenger bag overkill? =P ...i dont know!?

4... do the waterproof neoprene sleeves resist water to the point that you could spill a whole drink on them or go out in the rain with just the sleeve and not have to worry?

this is the first laptop ive ever had... sorry for all of the Qs.

asyrum
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 27, 2008, 05:51 PM

oh yea...

geared towards artists, deviantART released a limited quantity of messenger bags this week, too. the one called "graphic artist bag" is the laptop one.

http://prints.deviantart.com/darelat...ection=7378522

r2g2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 27, 2008, 07:23 PM

1... if you put your 15'' MBP into a sleeve, does it still fit into the messenger bags that say they fit they 15'' or does it have to be out of a sleeve? it's hard to know the fit shopping online.

r2g2: In most cases yes - usually there is room. Some bags may be fitted only to fit the notebook only but its pretty rare.

2... if you put a hard case on your laptop, does it still then fit in the sleeve?

r2g2: Nope - usually sleeves are made to fit the laptop right down to the T. If you buy universal sleeves, then you may have a chance.

3... is getting a hard case to resist scratches, a sleeve to resist water, and a messenger bag overkill? =P ...i dont know!?

r2g2: Lol - In my opinion, the hardcase really ruins the look of the beautiful mac casing. I personally use the sleeve to resist scratches / impacts and then place the laptop with the sleeve in my leather messenger bag. Question for you - why do you need water resistance - are you planning on using your laptop in a wet environment?

4... do the waterproof neoprene sleeves resist water to the point that you could spill a whole drink on them or go out in the rain with just the sleeve and not have to worry?

r2g2: Don't know - never used neoprene sleeves - im not a big fan of how they look / feel.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 27, 2008, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by asyrum View Post
Overkill? WAY overkill. It's not made of egg shells and tissue paper you know. I've kept my original version MBP looking really good by just keeping it in an Incase sleeve. It's not heavy, and it's nice and cushy.

I don't have any problem with rain. But I'd still avoid having "whole drinks" spilled anywhere near my computer. Considering the sketchy kinds of lunches and meetings I've had at school, that shouldn't be difficult to manage. So rain? That should be fine. (Keep the computer under your umbrella with you as much as possible because the outer part of the neoprene can get soaked and it gets heavy then.) A venté half-decaf moca frapuchino with whip? No.

Take a deep breath. Like I said, it's not made of eggshells and tissue paper. Keeping it from getting banged up is more a matter of paying attention than anything else. It'll be fine.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2008, 02:38 PM

Just picked up an STM Cargo for the new MacBook.... looks awesome. I didnt want the usual black backpack/messenger and the leather ones were a little expensive. I also didnt want something that *looked* like a laptop bag. And it comes with a sleeve included.

Got it from eBags via Amazon for USD$99.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

Cheers
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Dec 2, 2008 at 02:22 AM. )

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 12, 2008, 12:12 PM

Received my Mamba pack on Tuesday and it is very nice. A little pricey, but holds all my work gear and is fairly compact. My macbook fits snug and the numerous pockets are great for organizing my junk.

If I had to point out a negative, I would say the shoulder strap seems a little...slick? I normally throw one strap over my shoulder and there is no fabric that catches my coat/shirt. Tightening the strap helped a lot, but it still doesn't seem to grab as much as I would like.
Joe

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Dec 13, 2008, 03:28 PM

just got a booq sleeve for my alu macbook; fits like a glove, stylish, sits comfortably in my backpack...
and good price! (my GF, with her 12" powerbook, is jealous)...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 26, 2008, 09:01 AM

I have the laptop sleeve wide 15.4" from BuiltNY and the new MBP seems a bit bigger than ideal for it… Would the Second Skin available on the Apple Store (online store) be a better fit for it?

BuiltNY sleeve…

Second Skin sleeve…

kylef
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 26, 2008, 09:20 AM

My LArobe case is absolutely fantastic. Very durable but light. Using it with my 13" unibody MacBook - recommended.

macairy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2009, 04:06 AM

something real cool..are you one of them..haha
http://www.flickr.com/photos/furryrobo/3178493572/

Forum Links
Forum Rules