Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > New 27" iMac - small fonts on screen: NEED A FIX

New 27" iMac - small fonts on screen: NEED A FIX
Eden Aurora
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 27, 2014, 10:06 PM

Just purchased a new 27" iMac. Love the machine except for the fact that in Safari all my webpages load tiny.
Can't read a damn thing without zooming in. But Safari doesn't remember the zoom, so i have to do it each time i visit the page.

At first i thought i would just lower the resolution from 2560x1440 to 2048x1152. While that blows things up bigger, it just makes things fuzzier. So no dice.

Then i came across a thread talking about an Extension named Zoom By Site version 1.6 that works with Safari 7.

It seems to do the trick. I haven't logged that many hours with it, but at first glance it will fix the issue.

Just in time too. I was just about to throw this new iMac out the window, or worse....switch to Google's Chrome web browser (which i've read online does have the ability to remember the zoom size).

APPLE, LOVE YOU. BUT YOU DON'T DO EVERYTHING GREAT. PLEASE FIX THIS SO WE DON'T HAVE TO RELY ON 3RD PARTY EXTENSIONS.
I eat turtle soup for breakfast

P
Jan 28, 2014, 04:22 AM

Apple's fix is retina with free zooming - which the iMacs don't have yet. Can't you zoom all text in System Preferences, though?
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2014, 04:29 AM

As for Safari: Magic Trackpad.

pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 28, 2014, 09:00 AM

AllPagesZoom is a free Safari extension that, IMNHO, works great. Zoom amount is adjustable from 50% to 400%. Also, a site may be blacklisted so that the specific site does not zoom.

See: Side Tree Software - Safari Extensions
( Last edited by pendragon; Jan 28, 2014 at 09:26 AM. )
Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.10.3), iPhone 5 (iOS 8.3)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

Forum Links
Forum Rules