Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iTunes WiFi Music Store...Via Edge?

iTunes WiFi Music Store...Via Edge?
sph
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 6, 2007, 09:01 PM

In yesterdays announcement about the iTunes WiFi music store, there was no mention of whether the mobile version of iTunes would also be accessible via AT&T's Edge network. I think the concept of purchasing songs wirelessley is awesome, but having to be within range of WiFi doesn't make it very useful.

Does anyone know if the service will be available via Edge? I don't think it should matter how you connect....

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2007, 09:03 PM

I haven't heard one way or the other... I think that's something we are gonna have to wait and see when it comes out.

Theoretically it should be no problem, just slower, but knowing Jobs he probably wants only wifi so it doesn't take 10 min to download a song. Who knows though.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2007, 09:07 PM

SJobs seems to think there's wifi everywhere, so I doubt it.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 6, 2007, 09:38 PM

Well, it is called the iTunes WiFi Music Store...

My attempts to stream music over EDGE makes me believe that purchasing and previewing songs without wifi would be frustrating.

sph  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 6, 2007, 09:50 PM

yeah thats a good point. Edge is really slow, but it also makes you wonder once again why they chose to go with AT&T's Edge network when they knew things like wireless iTunes was coming down the pike.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2007, 10:32 PM

I can pull 215kbps over EDGE on T-mobile... not sure how AT&T's network is (but I can guess ), but that's only 2.5 minutes to download a song. So it's not totally unreasonable, but I don't think it will work. Jobs is too insistent about wifi.

Raining Down in Texas
Forum Regular
Sep 6, 2007, 10:40 PM

I'd like to have the ability to search for music while on EDGE, and mark it for download when I'm at my computer or in Wifi range. Even better would be a widget that tells you what song is playing on a radio station with a link to the song in iTunes store.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2007, 10:44 PM

I think the only reason you won't be able to do it over edge is because AT&T would want a cut of the money.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 7, 2007, 01:54 AM

Frankly I don't want it available on EDGE. Not only would it be slow, it would increase EDGE traffic, thereby slowing down other traffic. I'm sure they'll allow it when the iPhone (2.0?) gets 3G.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Sep 7, 2007, 02:21 AM

I would have wanted it available on EDGE before AT&T switched to simplified bills. My mom and I were hoping for a box, but all we got was a larger envelope. But now that they've switched to simplified bills and we've switched to e-billing, I don't care. I have the patience to download over EDGE (I have never turned on the wi-fi on my iPhone, actually), but I'm not going to use the Wi-Fi store that much.
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules