Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Halo: Reach

View Poll Results: Are you buying it?
Poll Options:
Well, yeah! 7 votes (38.89%)
Probably. It's not at the top of my list though. 2 votes (11.11%)
Nope. I hate Halo. 6 votes (33.33%)
I'm holding off; I don't know if I'm interested anymore 3 votes (16.67%)
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll
Halo: Reach (Page 5)
Thread Tools
sek929
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 14, 2010, 04:11 PM
 
Be on around 10, expect lots of n00b questions.
     
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 14, 2010, 04:11 PM
 
Looks like it shipped around 3.30. Barring any problems with FedEx's time machine it should get here some time yesterday.
     
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 14, 2010, 04:28 PM
 
Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Be on around 10, expect lots of n00b questions.
Its a plan.

---

PSA: Free Halo: Reach Xbox Dashboard theme available | Joystiq

Good.
     
Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Charlotte, NC
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 14, 2010, 04:35 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post

Good enough, Bogues?
Perfect!!! Thanks, I'll rock that for a long time. Once I get home I'll switch it up

Still no Reach according to the gf, starting to get worried...
     
Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 14, 2010, 04:43 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
There's something I suggested during the days of Halo 3.
Yeah, it actually said "Suggested by DakarZero - 12/03/07" in small print right below the fun fact. Not.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!
     
Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 14, 2010, 04:46 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Best I can tell, sek, we ordered roughly an hour or so too late for it to arrive today. Not that it wasn't obvious already.
Boo! Don't make me start the campaign without you.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!
     
mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Standing on the shoulders of giants
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 14, 2010, 05:33 PM
 
As someone who didn't get into Halo3, and Black Ops still months away, I need some reviews before deciding on getting this. It would be useful if the Halo fanboys who played lots of MW2 could do a comparison for me. Please ?
     
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 14, 2010, 05:50 PM
 
Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
As someone who didn't get into Halo3, and Black Ops still months away, I need some reviews before deciding on getting this. It would be useful if the Halo fanboys who played lots of MW2 could do a comparison for me. Please ?
Perhaps you shouldn't start threads like this and then come crawling back to us for advice.
     
sek929
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 14, 2010, 05:55 PM
 
I plan on doing an entire Halo retrospective once I get enough time in on Reach. ODST will be absent, however.
     
sek929
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 14, 2010, 06:31 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Looks like it shipped around 3.30. Barring any problems with FedEx's time machine it should get here some time yesterday.
Same for me, left Nashua NH at 3:30, estimated delivery tomorrow.

Though Nashua is only like 3 hours from here, meaning it should arrive.................................now!
     
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 14, 2010, 06:53 PM
 
So, I guess the last question left before everyone mugs this thread with impressions:
Will this thread surpass the Legendary, Games Lounge christening, Hallowed, Scrumtrulescent Dakar's Halo 3 Thread?
     
sek929
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 14, 2010, 06:56 PM
 
I don't think so, I'm sure it'll be on pace to match the fury of the H3 thread, but I see Black Ops release at the death knell for the Reach thread.
     
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 14, 2010, 06:58 PM
 
I don't think so either. Better question, perhaps: Will it beat the MW2 thread?
     
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 14, 2010, 07:22 PM
 
Look out, sek, we're getting refunded out 99¢ for Reach shipping late.
     
Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 14, 2010, 07:28 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
So, I guess the last question left before everyone mugs this thread with impressions:
Will this thread surpass the Legendary, Games Lounge christening, Hallowed, Scrumtrulescent Dakar's Halo 3 Thread?
Yes. I would love to see Jawbone's thread surpass yours. I will spread my thoughts over multiple posts if I have to.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!
     
Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 14, 2010, 07:29 PM
 
You know what I'm saying?

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!
     
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 14, 2010, 07:32 PM
 
stogie, why don't you love me anymore?
     
Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Louisiana
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 14, 2010, 08:35 PM
 
I was just able to spend my first hour in multiplayer before heading back to work. A few quick impressions:
  • This game is definitely faster. The sprint button changes the pacing up by itself, but the game is livened up a little for sure.
  • Jumping isn't as floaty. It's still unrealistic, but nothing like Halos of the past.
  • One map (can't quite remember the name) was absolutely massive.
  • The armor upgrades are going to be cool for folks with collection disorders.
  • I've been killed and killed others with nearly every weapon I've seen. The weapon balance doesn't feel as off (but it definitely still exists)
  • This game is prettier. Lots.
  • The melee button has been switched to RB. I did not know this, and my first death was caused by it.

I'm very, very happy with it so far.
( Last edited by Jawbone54; Sep 15, 2010 at 04:38 PM. )
     
Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Louisiana
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 14, 2010, 08:37 PM
 
Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Yes. I would love to see Jawbone's thread surpass yours. I will spread my thoughts over multiple posts if I have to.
Attaboy.
     
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 14, 2010, 09:19 PM
 
Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
  • The melee button has been switched to RB. I did not know this, and my first death was caused by it.
  • Apparently, you can only carry one type of grenade at a time, and it depends on your load-out.
Oh jesus christ, this better be changeable.

Its sad enough that even bungie won't give people fully customizable controls.
     
sek929
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 14, 2010, 09:50 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Look out, sek, we're getting refunded out 99¢ for Reach shipping late.
     
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 14, 2010, 11:58 PM
 
lulz
     
mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Standing on the shoulders of giants
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 15, 2010, 04:50 AM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Perhaps you shouldn't start threads like this and then come crawling back to us for advice.
Hardly crawling. And you must admit that you were as hooked on MW2 as I was.

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I plan on doing an entire Halo retrospective once I get enough time in on Reach. ODST will be absent, however.
Thankyou Sir.

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I was just able to spend my first hour in multiplayer before heading back to work. A few quick impressions:
  • This game is definitely faster. The sprint button changes the pacing up by itself, but the game is livened up a little for sure.
  • Jumping isn't as floaty. It's still unrealistic, but nothing like Halos of the past.
  • One map (can't quite remember the name) was absolutely massive.
  • The armor upgrades are going to be cool for folks with collection disorders.
  • I've been killed and killed with nearly every weapon I've seen. The weapon balance doesn't feel as off (but it definitely still exists)
  • This game is prettier. Lots.
  • The melee button has been switched to RB. I did not know this, and my first death was caused by it.
  • Apparently, you can only carry one type of grenade at a time, and it depends on your load-out.

I'm very, very happy with it so far.
I shall take this into consideration. Since Dakar hates me so much, Sek's review will probably be the deciding factor.

I think that the bunny hopping was what turned me off of Halo3. You used to get it alot in CoD2 but they changed the dynamics for CoD4 and MW2.

EDIT : A 20 days played on MW2 friend has said that its like Halo3.5. I think that I shall leave you guys to your game and your thread, unless a personal test convinces me otherwise.
( Last edited by mattyb; Sep 15, 2010 at 04:57 AM. )
     
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 15, 2010, 09:12 AM
 
It's worth noting that Jawbone never played 3. From the videos I've seen, the jumping remains unchanged. Technically, dealing with jetpacks now, it's worse.
     
Leonard
Professional Poster
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 15, 2010, 09:53 AM
 
I got my pre-order copy yesterday. I stopped in after work to pick it up. Interesting Armor setup - heck you get some sort of in-game customization points just for starting the game up. I also saw there were some challenges - not sure how many, it looked like there were only 5, but maybe I missed a few by not scrolling or maybe the challenges are added to, as you play, similar to MW2.

I think I'll give it a try today, after I get my 3 unlockable content codes punched in. I'll probably give firefight a try to refresh my memory on the game control scheme.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro
     
sek929
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 15, 2010, 10:14 AM
 
The game is en route to my house, probably get some mid-afternoon playing in.
     
Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Louisiana
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 15, 2010, 10:15 AM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
It's worth noting that Jawbone never played 3.
Yep. I only played about two days of multiplayer.

It feels less floaty to me, but you guys who played a ton of Halo 3 will be able to tell best.

From the videos I've seen, the jumping remains unchanged. Technically, dealing with jetpacks now, it's worse.
The jet packs and other load-outs aren't always available (I've only played with them twice), but they definitely are a little annoying to deal with.

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
I got my pre-order copy yesterday. I stopped in after work to pick it up. Interesting Armor setup - heck you get some sort of in-game customization points just for starting the game up. I also saw there were some challenges - not sure how many, it looked like there were only 5, but maybe I missed a few by not scrolling or maybe the challenges are added to, as you play, similar to MW2.

I think I'll give it a try today, after I get my 3 unlockable content codes punched in. I'll probably give firefight a try to refresh my memory on the game control scheme.
I'm pretty sure the challenges will be updated. Not entirely sure yet.
     
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 15, 2010, 10:16 AM
 
I just realized... what does bungie have against keeping track of your w/l record?
     
KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Nor Cal
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 15, 2010, 11:13 AM
 
Not sure if it really matters having a w/l stat with team based games. You can have a lot of wins but not do jack shit. However, I don't see why they can't do it for slayer or any other lone wolf game
     
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 15, 2010, 11:16 AM
 
Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
Not sure if it really matters having a w/l stat with team based games.
Dude, if we're not playing to win, what's the ****ing point? And really, even if it is pointless (god knows people are argue k/d is a worthless measure) that doesn't explain why it's absent.

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
You can have a lot of wins but not do jack shit.
Law of averages.
     
Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Louisiana
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 15, 2010, 11:19 AM
 
Yeah, it matters. It makes absolutely zero sense for Bungie to leave it out.
     
KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Nor Cal
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 15, 2010, 11:20 AM
 
So Stogie, myself and another friend played the first 5 missions on legendary campaign last night. A few things I wanted to touch up on...

- Some of the elites are ridiculously tough! They roll out of the way constantly, their deadly accurate and they'll melee your ass if up close.

- The handling of vehicles is different and takes getting used to. Can't put it down. It just feels more slippy.

- The musical score f'n awesome! Very dramatic and really helps capture the story.

- The outer space level is a nice change of pace and surprisingly controls quite well.

I must have died like 200 times last night during the campaign. How the hell are you going to beat it on legendary solo?
     
KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Nor Cal
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 15, 2010, 11:22 AM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Dude, if we're not playing to win, what's the ****ing point? And really, even if it is pointless (god knows people are argue k/d is a worthless measure) that doesn't explain why it's absent.
You want me to write to Bungie and get an answer?
     
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 15, 2010, 11:23 AM
 
Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
- The handling of vehicles is different and takes getting used to. Can't put it down. It just feels more slippy.
Interesting.

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
I must have died like 200 times last night during the campaign. How the hell are you going to beat it on legendary solo?
Ha, I saw that this morning. Dick Move!
     
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 15, 2010, 11:24 AM
 
Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
You want me to write to Bungie and get an answer?
Do you need to write bungie for them to give you your opinion?
     
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 15, 2010, 11:29 AM
 
Install the game, kiddos:

Halo: Reach load comparison, Installed vs Not installed - National video game | Examiner.com
Installed: Initial Load Screen to the appearance of Microsoft Game Studios Logo: 10.3 seconds.
Not Installed: Initial Load Screen to the appearance of Microsoft Game Studios Logo: 12.0 seconds.

Installed: Opening Mission: 8.1 seconds.
Not Installed: Opening Mission: 21.4 seconds.

Installed: Firefight: 21.6 seconds.
Not Installed: Firefight: 45.1 seconds.

Installed: Custom Game Load: 9.7 seconds.
Not Installed: Custom Game Load: 28.7 seconds.
     
sek929
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 15, 2010, 11:39 AM
 
Seeing as I only have 1.4GB available that ain't gonna happen.
     
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 15, 2010, 11:43 AM
 
That's fine, you should just never host.
     
Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Louisiana
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 15, 2010, 11:46 AM
 
Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
I must have died like 200 times last night during the campaign. How the hell are you going to beat it on legendary solo?
Some of the reviews mentioned that the difficulty ramps up when you add players. It's not supposed to be any more difficult when playing alone.
     
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 15, 2010, 11:48 AM
 
If that's true, well played. Also, Borderlands!
     
Leonard
Professional Poster
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 15, 2010, 11:49 AM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I just realized... what does bungie have against keeping track of your w/l record?
Not sure what you mean? I was checking out the Halo:Reach profile of one of you (I think it was Kevin Bogues) on the web site and it showed his wins and losses. He played 4 games of firefight and it seemed to say he won them all, if I read the stats right. Not sure what that stat means on firefight.

My Halo:Reach profile is blank because I haven't played it yet, I just wanted to check it, waypoint, and the website out yesterday and get the icon on my games list. I wanted to work on some Crackdown 2 stuff.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro
     
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 15, 2010, 11:54 AM
 
I think I see what you're referring to. It gives you games played and wins. That's probably an improvement over 3's stats, but the lack of a simplified w/l ratio (if not record) in career stats (sortable by game type) is troubling.
     
Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Charlotte, NC
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 15, 2010, 11:56 AM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
If that's true, well played. Also, Borderlands!
It is true, and it's a serious jump, they don't just add enemies, it's a pretty good system, also about challenges , there are daily and weekly challenges to complete for credits, completed a challenge this morning that required 7 close quarter kills in a single match, and If I remember correctly the weekly challenge is to complete 9 campaign missions on heroic, seems the challenges will be with multi/campaign/firefight. Nice touch
     
Leonard
Professional Poster
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 15, 2010, 11:56 AM
 
Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Some of the reviews mentioned that the difficulty ramps up when you add players. It's not supposed to be any more difficult when playing alone.
I noticed they changed the achievements for playing on legendary. You get one achievement for playing it on legendary, you get another achievement if you play it SOLO on legendary. I assume you get both for playing it SOLO on legendary.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro
     
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 15, 2010, 11:58 AM
 
I think the addition of daily and weekly challenges is great. However I was looking over the credit system and its not very appealing.
     
Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Charlotte, NC
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 15, 2010, 12:05 PM
 
I started my campaign on heroic, I think my legendary playthrough is a long way off
     
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 15, 2010, 12:06 PM
 
Yeah, I'd like to know the levels before I start dealing with crazy difficulty.
     
Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Charlotte, NC
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 15, 2010, 12:13 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Yeah, I'd like to know the levels before I start dealing with crazy difficulty.
The little of the first level I played I noticed an improvement in the AI even on heroic.

Speaking of controls, I switched my melée back to B and moved reload to the RB, I could not stand the RB melée and utilizing X for grenade switch Is much more convient (need those stickies)
     
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 15, 2010, 12:19 PM
 
Originally Posted by Kevin Bogues View Post
Speaking of controls, I switched my melée back to B and moved reload to the RB, I could not stand the RB melée and utilizing X for grenade switch Is much more convient (need those stickies)
Good to know. I found it hard to believe bungie would eliminate the option.
     
sek929
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 15, 2010, 01:46 PM
 
Just arrived.
     
 
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:21 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,