Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > pepsi itunes commercial now on appleinsider

pepsi itunes commercial now on appleinsider
hardcat1970
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 28, 2004, 06:28 PM

they are streaming it right now.

rtsp://streaming.appleinsider.com/ai/pepsi_superbowl_ad_stream1.mov

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 28, 2004, 06:35 PM

I thought the ads would be... I don't know... cool. But they really don't say anything about Apple, or that it's legal, etc. etc. (I guess they do say legal), but flashing iTunes.com isn't going to bring many people in!

[evil laugh] ...all the more iTunes music for me... [/evil laugh]

ankle_brains
Forum Regular
Jan 28, 2004, 06:39 PM

(delete)

hardcat1970  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 28, 2004, 06:40 PM

It happens so quick, i don't know how to react. But i agree with you, it doesn't related to apple except the imac.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jan 28, 2004, 06:43 PM

Originally posted by ankle_brains:
(delete MacNN member)

EmAn
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 28, 2004, 06:48 PM

Originally posted by hardcat1970:
It happens so quick, i don't know how to react. But i agree with you, it doesn't related to apple except the imac.
Maybe because it's a Pepsi commercial?

dillerX
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2004, 06:50 PM

Originally posted by EmAn:
Maybe because it's a Pepsi commercial?
exactly.

PEPSI is paying the $. They want you to buy a PEPSI to get the free song, not just go to itunes.com and star buying music.
I tried to sig-spam the forums.
ADVANTAGE Motorsports Marketing, Inc. • speedXdesign, Inc.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jan 28, 2004, 06:51 PM

453: Not Enough Bandwith

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2004, 07:03 PM

Originally posted by dillerX:
exactly.

PEPSI is paying the $. They want you to buy a PEPSI to get the free song, not just go to itunes.com and star buying music.
Yep. Pepsi is the one gambling on this whole deal. Apple isn't really spending any real cash. Pepsi paid Apple a certain amount to get 100 million song credits... and then it's Pepsi's job to sell enough bottles to make up for the cost, and then some. Apple gets virtually free PR, and draws in many many more people into the store than they would without the deal.

Therefor, the commercial(s) will be more Pepsi branded than Apple branded. It sucks, but that's the way it be.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2004, 08:22 PM

.... and, the first Pepsi/"I fought the law" spoof ad is up !! (Warning: explicit language)

http://homepage.mac.com/chrisdieugen...Theater10.html

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2004, 08:27 PM

Did anyone capture it? I'll host it if they did.

ryju
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2004, 08:35 PM

Originally posted by - - e r i k - -:
453: Not Enough Bandwith
Looks like it's just you and me cowboy.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2004, 08:41 PM

Originally posted by Krusty:
.... and, the first Pepsi/"I fought the law" spoof ad is up !! (Warning: explicit language)

thats some funny ****

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2004, 03:18 AM

Wow, that ad is so "teen beat".

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 29, 2004, 07:39 AM

That spoof was super stupid.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 29, 2004, 07:52 AM

Originally posted by Krusty:

That sucked.

A lot.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 29, 2004, 09:30 AM

I wouldn't say that it sucked, but rather it could have been a whole lot better. They are giving away 100 million songs with the coolest legal music site in the world...

You would have though from the expressions on their faces that they were giving away free encyclopedias.

John C. Smith
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 29, 2004, 09:36 AM

It could just be that all of us are out of touch with what today's teenager thinks is cool. Who knows, maybe the ad will go over well.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2004, 11:31 AM

I'm not an American football fan. never watched a superbowl and prolly never will. But a LOT of ppl actually do watch this event

Judging the commercial, as a commercial:
it's the best pepsi comercial ive ever seen. it seemed a LOT like a coke commercial... like the colors, music,etc. But it was a good commercial. Getting those sued actually involved was a great idea cause you know the crowd can identify with them

so what about Apple ?
i like the strategy.... buy more pepsi. get free songs ONLY through iTunes. so win song, download iTunes and download music. After seeing how easy it is... keep using iTunes to download music... Then.... buy an iPod...and then more Macs.

This seemed preety well orchistrated.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 29, 2004, 11:36 AM

Apple is going to make a killing from this.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2004, 11:45 AM

I think it would've been a better commercial if it weren't all kids. There were some grownups tagged by the RIAA I think�hell, even a grandma in her 70s, right?
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2004, 11:51 AM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
You would have though from the expressions on their faces that they were giving away free encyclopedias.

They look happy
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2004, 12:56 PM

Been talking over the ad with a colleague and I had a few more thoughts.

- The "steady shot of young person looking into the camera" thing is old hat. Looks like it was shot for an ad for Sylvan Learning Centers or some bedwetting control product.

- I'm not sure if the "joke" really works. You think at first it's going to be a hard-hitting "issue" spot about youth out of control but then, ha ha, it's just Pepsi and Apple. It doesn't really hit you for a laugh, more a roll-you-eyes sort of thing.

- As I said, I think it would've been better if there were some adults in the mix. Not everyone busted by the RIAA is a kid, and I'm sensitive to spots that seem to be saying a particular thing is aimed at young people when it isn't necessarily so. I always think some middle-aged guy will assume the giveaway songs are all loud noisy rock bands and not realize you download all kinds of stuff from iTunes.
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2004, 01:32 PM

First of all, for the "It doesn't highlight Apple" group, it's a Pepsi ad so deal with it.

However, as a Pepsi ad, it's merely OK. It certainly doesn't jump out and grab you. But it does seem to target its intended group. But get rid of that giggle at the end already. It's irritatingly fake.

As for that parody, I only watched half, but half was enough. It is exceptionally stupid.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2004, 01:50 PM

BTW, I was under the impression that the ad would be with Pink and other singers. Are they showing more than one ad at that event?
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2004, 02:06 PM

heres a good quicktime version of the commercial. the sad thing is the girl talking is really bad, and that was the BEST take! If your talking to 1 billion people or more, try harder!
http://blog.yourmaclife.com/pepsilaw.mov

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2004, 08:25 PM

Originally posted by SeSawaya:
heres a good quicktime version of the commercial. the sad thing is the girl talking is really bad, and that was the BEST take! If your talking to 1 billion people or more, try harder!
http://blog.yourmaclife.com/pepsilaw.mov
kind of cool but yes its kind of hard to understand that girl talking.

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

clod
Senior User
Jan 29, 2004, 09:07 PM

That ad is mediocre. They could have done so much better. That said, both Pepsi and Apple will do very well off of this promotion.

hardcat1970  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 29, 2004, 10:54 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
I wouldn't say that it sucked, but rather it could have been a whole lot better. They are giving away 100 million songs with the coolest legal music site in the world...

I totally agree with you. Instead of bringing fun, joy and exciting with free itunes giveaway, they chose to mention the previous illegal downloading teenagers, sort of a black comedy thing. I don't know if it will work but it could have been better when it leaves the revenge of the nerd kind of mood.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Feb 1, 2004, 08:33 PM

I found it interesting that the AppleInsider.com ad had a green screen in this section of the ad...

It obviously wasn't that way during the SB...

Forum Links
Forum Rules