Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > how long have you gone without food/water?

how long have you gone without food/water?
ankle_brains
Forum Regular
Mar 10, 2004, 10:01 PM

how long have you gone without any food and/or water? why?

i've gone 2 days while camping in colorado one time.

what about you?

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2004, 10:04 PM

Originally posted by ankle_brains:

what about you?
Without food and sleep for 16 days. I could have gone longer, but the doctor's oppinion differed....

zachs
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2004, 10:08 PM

Like 2 days, when I was really sick and couldn't keep anything down.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2004, 10:31 PM

The only time is when I'm sick. I prefer to just sleep and not be bothered.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Tulkas
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 10, 2004, 10:34 PM

A couple hours maybe??? The maximum would be one day but I doubt more than 12 hours, and I probably wasn't able to eat even if I wanted to.

Those cows won't know what hit 'em. They won't know what hit them even after it hits them, because they're cows.

zachs
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2004, 10:36 PM

Originally posted by wdlove:
I prefer to just sleep and not be bothered.
I do that even when I'm not sick.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 11, 2004, 01:46 AM

28 hrs
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

Blue Flame
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 11, 2004, 02:11 AM

about 2 days for food, never intentionally deprived myself of fluids...

f1000
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2004, 02:54 AM

Originally posted by ghost_flash:
Without food and sleep for 16 days. I could have gone longer, but the doctor's oppinion differed....
What a whopper. After a week of true sleep deprivation, you would not be able to stay awake through self-control any more than you could suffocate yourself by holding your own breath. It would take an external stimulus to keep you awake (like electric shock), and you would die before your 16 days were up. Don't tell me you were in one of Saddam's death camps...

Personally, I've deprived myself of REM sleep for a little over 3 days at least once or twice when I was in my late teens.

I've also gone for seven days straight without any solid foods (but lots of fluids) when I was in my early 20's. Not a good idea unless you enjoy dry heaving upon drinking water. I could definitely have gone longer, but I was not testing myself to the limits. Muslims may fast for a month during Ramadan, but they only fast during daylight hours. That's child's play.

I don't know how long I've gone without both food and water. Probably only for a few hours. Two days in the wilderness without water (not even rain) would be uncomfortable to say the least. Urine would probably start to look like tasty OJ, or even V8.
( Last edited by f1000; Mar 11, 2004 at 03:03 AM. )

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2004, 02:59 AM

Without food, 5 days. But I had drinks (well, Coke...). Why? Because my mom was out of town for those 5 days and I was too lazy to walk up the stairs to the kitchen and make food. This was back in high school and during a break.

I've also gone without food and sleep for 4 days. At the end of the four days I drove four hours to a party, drank tremendous amounts of alcohol (as in more than any other three people there combined), didn't get drunk at all (presumably because my metabolism had pretty much stopped), and then drove 4 hours back immediately after the drinking because I wasn't drunk. Fortunately I didn't fall asleep while driving, or suddenly get hit by massive intoxication. Oddly, I don't think I ever suffered any negative results at all from all that abuse. (And yes, this is a completely true story. And no, I wouldn't even want to consider trying to do it again.)

f1000
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2004, 03:16 AM

Originally posted by nonhuman:
Without food, 5 days. But I had drinks (well, Coke...). Why? Because my mom was out of town for those 5 days and I was too lazy to walk up the stairs to the kitchen and make food. This was back in high school and during a break.

I've also gone without food and sleep for 4 days. At the end of the four days I drove four hours to a party, drank tremendous amounts of alcohol (as in more than any other three people there combined), didn't get drunk at all (presumably because my metabolism had pretty much stopped), and then drove 4 hours back immediately after the drinking because I wasn't drunk. Fortunately I didn't fall asleep while driving, or suddenly get hit by massive intoxication. Oddly, I don't think I ever suffered any negative results at all from all that abuse. (And yes, this is a completely true story. And no, I wouldn't even want to consider trying to do it again.)
After four days of sleep deprivation, how could you tell that you weren't drunk? Studies have shown that being sleep deprived is no different from being drunk. Furthermore, all those cars that you saw swerving off the highway were NOT on the wrong side of the road.

And isn't high school too late to still be breastfeeding? I must admit, though, Coke does make a good meal...

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2004, 03:20 AM

Originally posted by f1000:
After four days of sleep deprivation, how could you tell that you weren't drunk? Studies have shown that being sleep deprived is no different from being drunk. Furthermore, all those cars that you saw swerving off the highway were NOT on the wrong side of the road.

And isn't high school too late to still be breastfeeding? I must admit, though, Coke does make a good meal...
Well, I didn't feel drunk. When I'm drunk I can feel it. When I'm sleep deprived I go through periods of exhaustion and alertness, and during the periods of alertness I didn't feel drunk at all. There were no other cars on the road, and my driving was just fine.

Yes, high school is too late to be breastfeeding, which is why I stopped many many years ago. The real issue was with the walking up a flight and a half of stairs to get to the food, not putting the food in the microwave.

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2004, 04:11 AM

I'm going to say 3 1/2 days. I was stuck on a island.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2004, 07:34 AM

Originally posted by ankle_brains:

what about you?
4 days no food.
Was drinking though.

Thailand, did something silly.

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2004, 09:14 AM

What can I say, but I did not sleep for 16 days consecutive. No outside stimulus.

I will write about the experience some day.
( Last edited by ghost_flash; Mar 11, 2004 at 11:27 AM. )

The Ginger Rat
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 11, 2004, 09:35 AM

2-3 days, can't remember for sure. I was in a major funk after my dog died.

Forum Links
Forum Rules