Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New IMac Intel...Steve's Number On Me.

New IMac Intel...Steve's Number On Me.
dejablue
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2006, 08:01 PM

having just purchased a new imac 2.1 two months ago, and having been a mac user since the se-30 days, i feel like steve has just done a number on me. anyone having the same feelings? i'm not having a good evening, knowing that my new $2,000.00 purchase from steve is now worth probably no more than $1,200....this sucks.

davidflas
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2006, 08:07 PM

I know what you mean, I've had my iMac 1.9 for less than a week.. I knew that new ones might come out, but bought anyway thinking that they wouldn't be available for weeks... Now I feel dumb...... I really needed a computer right away,,, but I still feel like a dope for not waiting one week
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

baw
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2006, 08:18 PM

At least your iMac isn't running on a laptop processor.

cejones
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2006, 08:35 PM

If you really have been using mac's since the SE/30 days, didn't you know that MacWorld was at the beginning of Jan?

Don't blame Apple for releasing new macs every year at the same time.

It's your own fault for not waiting.

Try to sell your system on ebay to some other Homer.

DrWoo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2006, 08:54 PM

Yeah I hear you but it's not like he purchased a new imac and 2 months they come out with a newer imac that's about 15 to 20 percent faster, but instead they come out with a imac that's 200 to 300 percent faster. So I understand his frustration.
My Ramblings:
http://karagitz.blogspot.com

jaydon34
Senior User
Jan 10, 2006, 08:54 PM

lol
myflickr : mytwitter : twentyonethirty
17" Macbook Pro 2.6Ghz 4gb 200GB HD: 8gb Iphone 3g: Hp Mini 1000 Netbook

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2006, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by baw
At least your iMac isn't running on a laptop processor.
Riiiiiight. I, for one, would NEVER stand for running an iMac on a laptop processor, ESPECIALLY one that's 200-300 percent faster than the desktop processor it replaces.

You couldn't pay me to get one of those Intel laptop processors instead of my iMac G4...hey...wait a minute...

osxrules
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 10, 2006, 10:00 PM

I'm surprised they are still selling the powerpcs at around the same price with such a performance gap.

This is one reason I went for a Mini because I have a decent machine but the most I will ever lose on it is a couple of hundred pounds.

I hope the Intel Minis aren't too expensive because I'd love one with a 128MB video card and G5 whipping performance.

It must suck to be just one week out on such a deal. Still, if you sell it now while the news is still hot then you just might be able to get enough money back to buy an Intel.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2006, 10:21 PM

I know what you mean, I've had my iMac 1.9 for less than a week.. I knew that new ones might come out, but bought anyway thinking that they wouldn't be available for weeks... Now I feel dumb...... I really needed a computer right away,,, but I still feel like a dope for not waiting one week
Return it, pay the 10% restocking fee, and exchange it for a new one, if you really want it.
Linkinus is king.

gunga
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2006, 10:54 PM

I purchased a 2,1GHz G5 iMac back in November. I'm surprised Apple chose this model to intro the Intel processors, mainly due to the proximity of this 'Upgrade' to the iMac, to the last one in October.

That said, my iMac was an exceptional computer yesterday and it continues to be now, despite the announcement. I have only just purchased it, so have no intention of selling. Everything still works and software will continue to be deeloped. So there's a new, faster iMac out there; there's also a quad G5 with dual 30" Cinema Displays and maxed-out with 16GB RAM. I haven't got one of those either

However, if you've had your machine for less than 14 days, I guess you've got a decision to make.

Personally, I'm going to use my iMac to embrace all the new features of iLife '06 and .Mac. The new .Mac site is very pretty, don't you think.....

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2006, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by gunga
I purchased a 2,1GHz G5 iMac back in November. I'm surprised Apple chose this model to intro the Intel processors, mainly due to the proximity of this 'Upgrade' to the iMac, to the last one in October.

That said, my iMac was an exceptional computer yesterday and it continues to be now, despite the announcement. I have only just purchased it, so have no intention of selling. Everything still works and software will continue to be deeloped. So there's a new, faster iMac out there; there's also a quad G5 with dual 30" Cinema Displays and maxed-out with 16GB RAM. I haven't got one of those either

However, if you've had your machine for less than 14 days, I guess you've got a decision to make.

Personally, I'm going to use my iMac to embrace all the new features of iLife '06 and .Mac. The new .Mac site is very pretty, don't you think.....
I wasn't too surprised, it makes sense. Back in November, some analyst that follows apple said he expected new powerbooks and imacs in January.

With as fast as the new processors are, it was the common sense choice. You don't want to put new processors in low margin products that would be faster than your high margin ones. The iMac was the only single core G5 left, so they could either put in dual core G5s or dual core intels. Dual core G5s would be a waste of effort; not to mention slower and hotter. The one uncertainty was always the performance of the Yonah. Now that we know it's superfast and efficient, it's a no-brainer in hindsight.

I'd expect single core Yonahs in the ibooks and mac mini in a few months, with a new powermac at or just after WWDC on a different chip.

dejablue  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2006, 11:07 PM

cejones....nice response. wanna buy mine....rookie?

Thade
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 10, 2006, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by DrWoo
Yeah I hear you but it's not like he purchased a new imac and 2 months they come out with a newer imac that's about 15 to 20 percent faster, but instead they come out with a imac that's 200 to 300 percent faster. So I understand his frustration.
Apple could have easily solved this problem by making it a lot slower but NOOOOOOOO

Jake_11
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2006, 11:24 PM

I have one of the original G5 iMacs, and love it. I was really hoping for the iBook to be one of the first ones to use the new intel processors as I need an inexpensive laptop to replace my Windows one. I plan on keeping my iMac for a while yet.

The Ancient One
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 10, 2006, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by dejablue
having just purchased a new imac 2.1 two months ago, and having been a mac user since the se-30 days, i feel like steve has just done a number on me. anyone having the same feelings? i'm not having a good evening, knowing that my new $2,000.00 purchase from steve is now worth probably no more than $1,200....this sucks.
Well, you do have something that none of the new iMac purchasers will get for a while - third-party applications software that runs natively (since you're a long-time Mac user, you must have quite a lot). I don't expect things will be perfect for the first wave of Intel iMac users for a few months. It may be that the machine you purchased could be a better deal for you for most of this year. When I switch to Intel Macs, I'm going to have to upgrade Office and FileMaker Pro for openers.
The first commandment of ALL religions is to provide a comfortable living for the priesthood.

madmanXwater
Jan 10, 2006, 11:57 PM

I feel you pain but I also understand that sometimes progress hurts some people. Don't blame this on Steve; I think Apple does a pretty good job of supporting customers. Look at what happened in the TV industry in the last six months. Ever since the Intel announcement was made, the writing has been on the wall for all PowerPC products. I was ready to buy a Dual 2Ghz G5 this week but now with the new iMacs out, I'm not sure I should. Even the new Quad that I got last week at work will be replaced this year by an Intel version, not 2007 like was thought before. That's just the computer industry.

Mike
17" MacBook Pro Core Duo 1GB/120Mb

iDave
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2006, 12:04 AM

Wait timeout is there a 30-day rule for them.....???

riverfreak
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 11, 2006, 12:10 AM

Sorry, that does suck. But computers aren't investments, they are commodities.

I have a collection of computers that once cost thousands of dollars each (much more expensive than current machines factoring in inflation). None of them are worth more than a couple of hundred bucks now.

:dragonflypro:
Senior User
Jan 11, 2006, 12:46 AM

When Steve said the transition wad coming, did you not believe it?

T

new_apple
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2006, 02:53 AM

cejones....nice response. wanna buy mine....rookie?
To quote a famous American: Stupid is as stupid does

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 11, 2006, 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by riverfreak
I have a collection of computers that once cost thousands of dollars each (much more expensive than current machines factoring in inflation). None of them are worth more than a couple of hundred bucks now.
No kidding. The original Macintosh back in 1984 cost…what was it? $3500? Something like that. And now it's just a slow-ass beige box sitting in the back of the garage. I doubt you could get more than $50 for it, and that's only if you found an enthusiast who wanted it at all.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 11, 2006, 04:28 AM

The new iMac is great. They took everything that's good about the older iMac and added what seems to be a very fast CPU.

If you want that extra power, just sell off your old iMac on eBay and get a new one. It's really not such a big deal once you are sure how much the extra power is worth in your own opinion.

Paco Loco
Forum Regular
Jan 11, 2006, 06:13 AM

My girlfriend's iMac G5 (which I recommended her to buy) was delivered 5 hours before yesterday's keynote... she has not yet heard the news, and I am doing everything in my power to keep it that way... I am living on borrowed time.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jan 11, 2006, 07:47 AM

Better a PPC chip than a rev A, I say. Plenty of time to upgrade still.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2006, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Paco Loco
My girlfriend's iMac G5 (which I recommended her to buy) was delivered 5 hours before yesterday's keynote... she has not yet heard the news, and I am doing everything in my power to keep it that way... I am living on borrowed time.
http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Im...spolicies.html
If you ordered RAM from Apple, you forfeited your right to return.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2006, 08:20 AM

Yeah, I hate it when Apple introduces new machines.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2006, 08:37 AM

I have had my new iMac for 9 days! Its going back....
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 11, 2006, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by The Godfather
http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Im...spolicies.html
If you ordered RAM from Apple, you forfeited your right to return.
Oh, that looks like a case of bad customer protection in the US. That line is not in Apple's EU policies. I think in Europe they're required to refund no matter what. So even if it's BTO they have to take it back and give you a full refund.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 11, 2006, 09:44 AM

Use the Official Thread.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules