Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > VPC 1.*.* and OS 8.6

VPC 1.*.* and OS 8.6
dabla
May 12, 1999, 08:23 PM

Just installed the 8.6 update and VPC95 will not run. I see that the boards are full of stuff about VPC 2.*.* . Does anyone use the old version of VPC and if so does your version work under OS 8.6?

My system is an iMac revB, 96MB ram.

Thanks all !

Brian Marsh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 1999, 03:46 PM

I haven't confirmed this myself (I only have one friend that has VPC 2.1.3, the latest, no one with previous)

but Connectix says that only VPC 2.1.3 will work with 8.6 (maybe 2.1.2 as well, not sure)

i'm pssitive that VPC 1.x will not work
(maybe contact Connectix about any plans for a fix, or upgrade options)

billybob
Mac Enthusiast
May 14, 1999, 03:59 PM

2.1.2 will work, thats what i have, and it works much better than it did under 8.5 (startup takes about 15 seconds on my imac... why cant macos start up that fast??). altho i also heard that you HAD to have 2.1.3... i guess im too l33t.
everything you know is wrong (and stupid)

Guary
Jul 8, 1999, 10:55 AM

15 seconds?? that IS IMPOSIBLE!!!
Loading VPC either with win 95 or 98 takes a couple of minutes, NO LESS.

You must be talking about reloading VPC, which is an option to save your current PC state each time you quit. The next time you load it, even if you shutdown your Mac, VPC just loads that state, and not the full Windows. So, if you follow me, that 15 seconds should be compared to waking up a Mac after putting it to sleep, which takes something like 8 seconds.

Besides, when your computer starts, it's not just Mac OS that takes time to boot, there are also quite a few hardware tests to perform. If you have a lot of RAM, it might look as if your computer is stuck for some seconds, so you can disable this test.

bye

DrZAP
Jul 12, 1999, 10:16 AM

When I installed 8.6, several programs didn't work on my 350MHz B&W G3. Wouldn't even launch without and error (-2). Disabling the ATI extensions worked for some, but not for VPC 1.x. I tried removing every combination of extensions--to no avail. I forked out the $39 to upgrade to VPC 2.3, and all is hunky-dory (with VPC).

Forum Links
Forum Rules