Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Text-to-speech new Voices!

Text-to-speech new Voices!
Socrates
Jun 14, 1999, 01:51 AM

Does anyone know a way to make new Text-to-speech voices? I imagine there is NO utility to make them or hack into the existent ones. Am I wrong?

Nonoche
Jun 18, 1999, 12:21 PM

If you listen carefully to the different voices available with TTS, you'll notice that not only the voice itself changes, but also the way it reads text. (try for instance with an all cap word, some voices will spell the word while some others will read it. Some voices read abbreviations while others try to pronounce the abbreviations as they're written, and so on) And voices are associated to a specific language. So voice files aren't only a set of parameters on the tone of the voice.

This leads me to believe that TTS voices aren't only data files, but also "executable" files, which contain instruction, and thus those instructions must be coded in a way or another (and concerning speech synthesis, it must be the hard way ;�)

So according to me there can't be a way to create your own voice other than using Apple's TTS SDK and coding in C.

Arnauld

Socrates
Jun 21, 1999, 03:52 PM

Sorry for the delay in response.

Is there a Text-to-Speech SDK? How can I put my hands on it?

lucifer
Jun 22, 1999, 03:56 PM

Apple's SDKs can be found at:
http://developer.apple.com/sdk/

You might want to wait until Apple releases the next TTS and SR SDK 2.0, so you could start writting new voices...

It might be ready by the time Apple releases Sonata. (System 8.7 or 9.0.)

Good luck...

[img]about:qtlogo[/img]

------------------

jwild
Forum Regular
Jun 25, 1999, 08:33 PM

I hear from the mac guy who works with me that mac will be adding new vioces, but i personnally have not see any thing about it.

[This message has been edited by jwild (edited 06-25-99).]

argonaut
Jun 27, 1999, 08:53 AM

I know it is possible to at least modify the voices because Microsoft Word 98 lets you do it. Go to the Tools menu and select "Pick Voice..." It lets you modify the rate, pitch, and modulation of any installed voice. Unfortunately, you can't export them from Word as far as I know.

BTW, changing the modulation has a major effect on how text is spoken. Perhaps that accounts for the variation you noticed among the different voices?

--argonaut

KBerg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 1999, 03:56 PM

The Mac Text-To-Speech system has three different engines, and used to be for computers of different power levels. The pro engine sounded the nicest (Voices like Agnes, Victoria and Bruce, as well as the High quality versions of those voices) the II engine, which has lower memory requirements and a broader variety of voices and finally the I engine which was for '020 machines. Each of these engines pronounces certain things differently, and as far as I can tell pronunciation is consistent across all voices that use a particular engine.

Hope this helps somewhat.
Karl.

Forum Links
Forum Rules