Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > VLC 1.0 and Blu-Ray

VLC 1.0 and Blu-Ray
damiensmunki
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 9, 2009, 09:48 PM

Hey, guys -

So I saw the new version of VLC was released, and from what I understand, it supports blu-ray. Has anyone tried this in OSX? Can we use blu-ray now? Thanks!

Rob

IronPen
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 10, 2009, 08:50 AM

Not unless you have the hardware, which Macs don't have currently. However, you might be able to buy a Blu-Ray drive and connect it to your Mac. Assuming the drivers are available, you could use VLC to watch Blu-Ray.
MacBook C2D 2.0GHz/Combo/2GB RAM

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jul 10, 2009, 11:55 AM

Wow.. finally VLC has hit 1.0 after all this time. It's a fine player and one of the most useful beta applications I've ever used. True, Perian has mostly replaced VLC, but it's a fine back-up app for Perian!
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

ibook_steve
Jul 10, 2009, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by IronPen View Post
Not unless you have the hardware, which Macs don't have currently. However, you might be able to buy a Blu-Ray drive and connect it to your Mac. Assuming the drivers are available, you could use VLC to watch Blu-Ray.
I'm pretty sure that's what the OP wants to know: with an Blu-ray drive that you've added yourself and VLC, can we now watch Blu-Ray movies on our Macs?

I'd be interested in knowing this as well.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

damiensmunki  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 10, 2009, 06:43 PM

I'm pretty sure that's what the OP wants to know: with an Blu-ray drive that you've added yourself and VLC, can we now watch Blu-Ray movies on our Macs?

I'd be interested in knowing this as well.
Exactly. I know I can't stick a BD in my DVD drive. I'd have to install an aftermarket BD drive. I have a huge library of blu-rays and have been getting rid of my DVD's. Would be nice to be able to use the BD's on my Mac Pro, as it's what I use for a TV in my bedroom. Anyone given this a go?

damiensmunki  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 25, 2009, 09:46 AM

Has anyone tried this yet?

webraider
Forum Regular
Jul 25, 2009, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by damiensmunki View Post
Has anyone tried this yet?
I don't know for sure.. but on the page, it's pretty specific about the type of Blu-Ray that's supported. It says Blu-Ray PCM which is a type of audio format. I'm assuing this would be for a Blu-Ray audio disk but I didn't even know there were any. At any rate, I'd love to be wrong! Anyone else care to comment????

damiensmunki  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 7, 2009, 11:53 PM

Hmmm...anyone with more disposable income than me want to give this a shot?

P
Aug 10, 2009, 08:23 AM

Where did you see that it supports Bluray? It looks to me like the support for both the container format (M2TS) and the various mandatory codecs is there (H.264, MPEG-2 and VC-1, plus DD, DTS and LPCM for audio) but you still need something to get past AACS and, if applicable, BD+. On Windows, AnyDVD HD does that, but VLC does not seem to have support for that natively yet. My google-fu may be failing me, but if it does support AACS, then please link me to something that says that it does.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

damiensmunki  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 15, 2009, 05:33 PM

Reading again the impetus for my initial post, I'm realizing you're correct. I guess my desire led me to read a bit into it. Here is the original article I read:

VLC Media Player 1.0 Goes Live | High-Def Digest

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2009, 07:28 PM

VLC has been able to play H.264 Bluray formatted video for a long time, as has Quicktime. Just to be clear, we are talking about Bluray *discs* here, and not Bluray *video*, right?

Forum Links
Forum Rules