Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Is Lightscribe Worth it?

Is Lightscribe Worth it?
webraider
Forum Regular
Dec 28, 2009, 04:50 PM

I just noticed that I can replace one of my internal Optical super drives with a Light Scribe enabled one from OWC. This model is fairly inexpensive. I'm just curious if Lightscribe is actually worth it? I may be doing some freelance work up and coming and was thinking about just going the label route but is Light Scribe worth it? Thanks

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 28, 2009, 04:57 PM

It's a neat idea, anyway. You get a silkscreen style B&W permanent label on your CDs. It also doesn't cost anything extra; with labels you'd have to factor in the cost of the label itself plus the ink for your printer (which isn't cheap.)

The drawback, of course, is that there's a much larger upfront cost. It's also only B&W, while with a label you can print color.

However, the problem I've always run into with those self labeling kits is that the label comes off, especially if the disk is left in a moderately warm environment. I'm always paranoid they'll tear off in my CD-ROM drive and break something.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 29, 2009, 06:43 AM

Is there any Mac software that supports it?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 29, 2009, 07:09 AM

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 29, 2009, 07:16 AM

Takes AGES, requires expensive media, is very limited in what it can do - in a word, it's a gimmick you'll use maybe three times and then ignore.

Get a printer that can print directly onto CDs - far more versatile in what you can actually do, takes a minute rather than 45, and the added cost for printable media isn't that high.

DO NOT use CD labelling kits with stick-on labels. They WILL eventually destroy your drive - first by ALWAYS being off-center and causing excess vibration, and second by eventually disintegrating.

webraider  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 29, 2009, 09:55 AM

Actually the media isn't that expensive. it's about the same price or equal to regular media.. I've checked. It's CHEAPER than printable (CD's or DVD's that you can print directly on) media that you're referring to. It May be a gimmick but These type of optical drives are shipping on every computer sold at Office Depot, And most of the default ones at BestBuy. I Agree about using a printer but that's not an option for me. Unfortunatly I do not have a room for another printer, the printers that do this are limited (there are not that many out there) and the ink jet that i use is what I need for my additional printing needs. I've looked at the designs and I actually AM impressed with what Lightscribe can do. That said, I will more than likely use the Title only feature most of the time to keep printing times down. They said you will eventually be able to do color with LightScribe.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 29, 2009, 10:05 AM

"Eventually" meaning just in time for the complete extinction of optical media.

Forum Links
Forum Rules