Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > How do you bill non-profits?

How do you bill non-profits?
funkboy
Professional Poster
May 28, 2002, 01:09 PM

I have something of an ethics question for designers here: how do you bill non-profit, or very small businesses, for your design work?

I imagine one could keep track of their hours and maybe use it as a tax write-off if the group is a state-sanctioned non-profit group, but what about if the organization simply has very limited funds, or you at least suspect they do?

Billing is the toughest part for me when doing design work. Part of that may be because I'm a just-graduated high school senior, and I think to get some business students need to charge less than other places, otherwise what would be the point of going to someone just starting out?

(I liked it when I was at this conference and a twenty-something beside me was pointing to his presentation, saying, "This website would cost about $5,000 to setup initially." As soon as he said that I looked directly back at my mom (this was a couple summers ago) and just smiled, since I knew I'd probably barely charge $500 for that!)

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
May 29, 2002, 03:02 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by funkboy:
<strong>I have something of an ethics question for designers here: how do you bill non-profit, or very small businesses, for your design work?

I imagine one could keep track of their hours and maybe use it as a tax write-off if the group is a state-sanctioned non-profit group, but what about if the organization simply has very limited funds, or you at least suspect they do?

Billing is the toughest part for me when doing design work. Part of that may be because I'm a just-graduated high school senior, and I think to get some business students need to charge less than other places, otherwise what would be the point of going to someone just starting out?

(I liked it when I was at this conference and a twenty-something beside me was pointing to his presentation, saying, "This website would cost about $5,000 to setup initially." As soon as he said that I looked directly back at my mom (this was a couple summers ago) and just smiled, since I knew I'd probably barely charge $500 for that!)</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">I'm not a designer, but I put myself through college as a commercial photographer, so maybe I can offer this.

My attitude was that I ran a business and had to make a living, pay taxes and overheads, etc. So did my competitors. I tried to charge what I was reasonably worth, set rates and don't haggle. If you get into the haggling business you will just screw yourself, or your industry.

Now here's the other side of the coin:

If you beleive in and support the non-profit or charity, don't charge them at all. Do the write-off thing if you want to, or just make a straight up gift. I found doing that was better for my concience than just undercutting myself.

The charity appreciated it more as well. If you just reduce the rates, you will be treated as an amateur. If you let them know what the rates are and give the work away for free, you will be treated like the generous professional you are.

KaptainKaya
Mac Elite
May 29, 2002, 03:19 PM

Also by not charging them, you get better recommendations on how professional you are towards everything.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
May 30, 2002, 10:12 AM

As my prime directive of billing, I charge EVERYONE! The second you do a single project for free, you open the door for some serious issues.

- What happens when they want to change something every few days?
- What happens when the next nonprofit calls?
- What do you consider a nonprofit?

BUT, I'm not a total bastard! I give an amazing nonprofits deal. It is about 20% my normal charges, and I ask that they send their nonprofit exemption forms. Just to confirm that they are on the up and up...

JMII
Forum Regular
May 30, 2002, 10:20 AM

Most non-profit organizations have the money to pay you. They are regular businesses, but just doing it make money. They have income and revenue sources and bills to pay just like everyone else does. Most of them are required to send out work to the lowest bid. You could bill them your regular rate, but then note a "discount" or donation to the their organization - that should make them happy. As for small businesses, you can try to barter your services for theirs, but do not sell yourself short - most owners are savy enough to know a good deal and they'll rape you if your not careful.

- John

Forum Links
Forum Rules