Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > WEP Settings???

WEP Settings???
bells0
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 31, 2004, 08:31 AM

hey all

have a netgear g834g 8011.g wireless router that my iBook and PC connect to using WPA psk encription.

got a new wireless bridge for my P2 that at the mo, can only use WEP.

can't seem to work out how to change my settings to WEP!

change in router to 64 shared, it gives me a space to enter a key so to generate 4 new passwords.

now my ibook wont connect with old wpa settings, obviousley, but i cant find how to get it so i can enter new wep password, and not totally sure when i do how to enter it, as have read something about hexi/deci something or other!!

any help appreciated, WPA psk is easy to use [enter my password in router setup and in either comps] WEP doesnt look as straight forward.

Chris

Cake
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 3, 2004, 05:06 AM

Did you originally configure the router using the PC?

My Linksys router that I bought a couple of months ago came with a CD that only allowed me to set it up initially on the PC, then for my PowerBook I just went to http://192.168.1.1 in Safari and configured Airport (because Linksys allows you to type that address in any browser to change any settings on the router).

I'm not sure if Netgear uses a web interface like Linksys does, but that's how I do it.
Sorry I can't be of more help.

bells0  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 5, 2004, 05:36 AM

got it going, after much scouring of apples support pages.

turns out the password u enter to generate the key has to be 13 letters long??!!

anyhuw, entered a 13 key pass and got a key to enter into wep password and it worked. bit dumb if u ask me and wasnt easy to find this.

happily wirefree again though

Chris

Reddog99
Apr 5, 2004, 07:05 PM

You're right, they don't make it easy or obvious! For 64 (or 40 bit) bit encription you need a 5 character password. For 128 bit encription you need a 13 character password.

Pat

brapper
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2004, 10:00 PM

Here's my set up:
A linksys wireless router (can't remember the model right now and it's in a locked room..)
My powerbook, my housemates' three Toshibas and a neighbour stealing some internet.
Problem is that I can't set a wep password that will be recognized when I input it on my powerbook.
All the other guys can access the network fine with wep enabled, but I can't.
I've read that the passphrase needs to be 13 characters long and I've tried that but it's still not working.
Any ideas?

Macola
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2004, 10:44 PM

Take the passphrase and type it into WEP Key Maker. Then generate the corresponding hex string (for 128-bit encryption, if that's what you're using). Enter the hex string into the Airport password dialog box, after selecting the appropriate type of encryption from the drop-down menu (I assume you're using Panther, otherwise YMMV).
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

Forum Links
Forum Rules