Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Windows Sharing an External HD in OSX

Windows Sharing an External HD in OSX
doctorb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 30, 2005, 04:34 AM

Hi all,

I am not sure if this was the right place to put it, but I recently purchased an external HD to back up my PC and my new PB. However, I didn't know about the limitations of NTFS (OSX can't write to it) and FAT32 can only do 4gb files (no disk images!!). I did some searching on this forum... and discovered that perhaps plugging an NTFS formated external HD into my PC and turning on Windows File Sharing might be a good way for me to write files from my Mac to the external HD while staying in NTFS format.

I am such a n00b... but can anyone tell me exactly how to do this? I turned on the "Share this folder on the network" and the "Allow network users to change my files" in Windows, but am unsure as to how I access the drive on my mac?

Thanks a bunch!

Reddog99
Dec 31, 2005, 01:12 AM

From the Go menu in the Finder, click on Connect to Server.
Type the IP address of your pc. For instance this is what I use for mine:
smb://192.168.2.2

This should bring up a dialog of the available shared folders on your pc. If you still have trouble, then download a program called Sharepoints (for the Mac). Set that up and this should get you going.

Pat

doctorb  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 31, 2005, 05:05 AM

Thanks a lot! That seemed to work great for the other shared folders that I had on my PC, but I can't seem to access the external HD... I type in the correct user and pass that I use to connect to the other shared folders, but when I try to access the external HD, i keep getting an error code -41.

Hmmmm.... I guess I'll have to keep trying. Thanks for the help!

Forum Links
Forum Rules