Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Aver

Aver
digiology
Jul 23, 2001, 07:20 PM

I was reading about a product that seems to be a dream come true look at info on it here: http://www.aver.com/products/tvbox01.html

What I want to know is if the surround sound feature is what the sound blaster live does, I want to use EAX in games, does the Aver thingy only use 5.1 on DVDs or something?
Stuff is great, never take it for granted.

dfiler
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 25, 2001, 06:41 PM

None of the scan converters and such offer surround sound output. Aver is purposely misleading you. The surround that it outputs is the origonal sound with added freaquency equilization. From the stereo effect, a sound chip figures out which direction the sound is coming from. Then it adjusts the sound such that it has the tonal effects of a sound coming from that direction and heard by human ears.

This gimmick is still two channel sound, although it occaissionally improves the sound on inexpensive speakers.

Forum Links
Forum Rules