Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > How to access PC from Mac (and vice versa)

How to access PC from Mac (and vice versa)
CDailey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2006, 10:11 PM

Hello everyone. I recieved my MBP (15" matte, 2.16GHZ CD, 1GB ram, 100GB hdd) today and the MBP connects to the wireless network perfectly fine. I am posting this message using it. My question is, HOW can I be able to access my MBP from my PC and vice versa? I have all my music on my PC and I'd like to be able to access it from my MBP. My network is set up like this. Modem plugged into wireless router, PC (and Xbox 360) to wireless router, MBP connecting to wireless signal. My router is a Dlink WBR1310. Can anyone help??

Edit:Well, it seems that I can access the music on my internal hard drive on my PC, but I cannot access my external hard drives. Is there a solution to this, other than having to connect the external drives to the MBP?

EDIT2: When I found I could access the music on my PC, I did not that when I added it to the library in iTunes that it would copy it over to my MBP. Is there any way I can just stream it over the network?
( Last edited by CDailey; Nov 16, 2006 at 10:59 PM. )

kikkoman
Senior User
Nov 17, 2006, 12:47 PM

If you have iTunes on the PC just turn on Sharing.
iTunes > Edit > Preferences > Sharing

Reddog99
Nov 26, 2006, 04:31 PM

Be sure you have Sharing turned on for the drives on the PC that you want to be able to see from the Mac.

Pat

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 27, 2006, 10:59 AM

External hard drives are an interesting issue when it comes to sharing. In my experience, Windows isn't entirely consistent with sharing them, but it may be that there are just a LOT of factors to manage to make it happen.

Make sure the external drive has a drive letter under Windows, and make sure you have something on the drive explicitlyshared. Sharing the root folder on any drive is a Bad Idea (and Windows will tell you this), so make it easy on yourself and share a folder on the drive.

Seeing your Mac from Windows usually involves setting up a persistent "My Network Places" entry. It's not a big deal and it's even the first task in Windows' task list on the left side of "My Network Places."

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules