Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.4.9 is out - experiences?

10.4.9 is out - experiences? (Page 2)
mac-at-kearsarge
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2007, 11:44 PM

I'm glad I had an old PM G4 with 10.4.8 on it. The above mentioned problems froze up my system, so I did a forced restart. Which resulted in the system freezing, with no simple fix. after several hours of doing all standard proceedures, I pulled out my G4, booted my Mini in Target Disk Mode, and ran the update on the Mini from the G4...thankfully it worked. I was fearing having to do a destructive restore.
iGeek

mrcarson2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2007, 11:45 PM

I installed 10.4.9 on my Macbook Pro CD 2Ghz and it was almost done "optimizing" and it gave a kernel panic. I restarted and it took several minutes to boot up, but it seems ok now. I love the fact that the eject button is delayed like on all of my previous macs!

kanx06
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2007, 12:25 AM

Don't know what the heck happened....towards the end of download, was told there was an error, the downloaded files were sent to the trash can and would be deleted. So I hit restart as the message told me to, and everything cleared except my desktop background...so forced shut down, then went to startup again and all it does is goto the gray screen with the apple and spins...so now I'm stuck in windows ...anyone have any tips

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 14, 2007, 01:00 AM

That's the second time I have heard of Software Update doing something very bizarre, knax. Could you tell us more about what happened?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Recontech
Forum Regular
Mar 14, 2007, 01:02 AM

The x-box 360 vision camera works great with my Powerbook G4 15" with 10.4.9.

I'm thrilled, now I can actually use video chat.
Blackhole Forums

Discuss Computers, Technology, Philosophy

post_break
Forum Regular
Mar 14, 2007, 01:18 AM

Here are some things I found.

My macbooks audio is much louder than before, its almost 50% louder than before. I upgraded to wireless N on my core duo macbook and still maintain the N function after the update for those whom are scared to upgrade.

Spacemoose
Fresh-Faced Recruit

Cool! They've addressed two issues that were bugging me, not really a bugs, so I never figured it would change.

1) As alluded to in this thread, they've changed the eject key (at least on my MBP) functionality so that you have to hold it down for a half-second before it will try to eject. Quick taps are ignored.

2) My MBP will no longer attempt to eject if there is no disc present. It used to bother me that if I fat-fingered the delete key, and tapped eject by accident, the drive would attempt to eject (due to the first issue). Even if there was no disc in the drive, it would mechanically cycle throgh the eject, making an obnoxious and pointless sound.

Now both of these issues are fixed, nice attention to detail, I'd certainly never expect requests of this priority to be addressed. Must be backporting from Leopard development.

Space

kanx06
Fresh-Faced Recruit

I have no idea. I started the download, went to study, came back and there was a message telling me an error occurred during the download process, the downloaded files were sent to the trash and I was asked to restart my computer. I hit restart, all my apps and windows closed and finder quit, all that was left on was my desktop background and my cursor. Couldn't force quit and restart the finder or anything. So I let it sit for about 5 or 6 minutes then still nothing happened. Held down the start button to force shut down the computer. So it was shut down, I let it cool off for about 5 minutes then I started it up again. Then all that happened was it went to the gray screen with the apple logo and the circle spun and spun. It won't even let me safe boot it or anything, and I'm stuck here at college and no way to a mac store or anything, with my install disks at home I don't know what all I can do. It will let me run Windows through Boot Camp nonetheless, so I guess I didn't get screwed THAT bad. Even though I will be majorly pissed at Apple if my files cannot be recovered. I didn't spend all that time writing those papers for nothing. Anyone have any tips?

hldan
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2007, 01:27 AM

I'm still playing around with 10.4.9 but the one thing Apple addressed is iCal's alarm appearing off to the side of my screen. I'm happy to say that it's smack dab in the middle now. It was their fault in the first place but I'm glad it's fixed. iPhoto opens up very fast now especially on second launch. I'm not quite crazy about my eject button on my G5 tower is now delayed. I have to hold it down to make the drawer open. I don't like it but it helps in case the button is pressed twice by accident and it has happened to me. That's all for now.

Frugle
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 14, 2007, 01:44 AM

Works great for me... I also LOVE the delayed eject button.. I was constantly ejecting CDs when missing the backspace button... that was irratating.
15" MacBook Pro | 2.16GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 100GB 5400 rpm | 256MB X1600

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2007, 01:55 AM

Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

spice003
Forum Regular
Mar 14, 2007, 03:29 AM

airport wont connect to my router now on macbook pro. tryed it many times. now i cant get on the internet. using winxp to type this. anybody knows how to fix it.?

mudzilla
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 14, 2007, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by kanx06 View Post
I have no idea. I started the download, went to study, came back and there was a message telling me an error occurred during the download process, the downloaded files were sent to the trash and I was asked to restart my computer. I hit restart, all my apps and windows closed and finder quit, all that was left on was my desktop background and my cursor. Couldn't force quit and restart the finder or anything. So I let it sit for about 5 or 6 minutes then still nothing happened. Held down the start button to force shut down the computer. So it was shut down, I let it cool off for about 5 minutes then I started it up again. Then all that happened was it went to the gray screen with the apple logo and the circle spun and spun. It won't even let me safe boot it or anything, and I'm stuck here at college and no way to a mac store or anything, with my install disks at home I don't know what all I can do. It will let me run Windows through Boot Camp nonetheless, so I guess I didn't get screwed THAT bad. Even though I will be majorly pissed at Apple if my files cannot be recovered. I didn't spend all that time writing those papers for nothing. Anyone have any tips?
I had a similar problem that has crippled my G4 Mac Mini, the update said it had failed and a subsequent reboot showed all finder windows with very slim buttons the toolbars, and basically an inability to launch anything or mount .dmgs, so I couldn't try the combo updater.

To fix your problem, you'll have to boot off your Install DVD and reinstall a system folder, then bring that up to date. You can install a System and keep existing users settings, so all your data *should* be fine.

Since your install discs are at home (nice move!) you better find yourself another mac user on campus, that can't be too difficult.
understand your lives are rubbish

rdas7
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2007, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by philm View Post
Still no joy with iSync and one of the latest SE phones, the M600i. Bizarre.
Check out this guy Feisar over at: mobile.feisar.com/plugins.html

He's got iSync plugins for all the Sony Ericssons for only a couple bucks. He's also got addressbook plugins and stuff like that. It's all transparent (driver based), not separate apps, etc. so you can basically enable the missing functions. Highly recommended!

Siggi_arni
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2007, 05:25 AM

After updating, i can no longer see my iTunes library. boo-hoo
iTunes 7.1 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Edit: Reinstalling iTunes did the trick
( Last edited by Siggi_arni; Mar 14, 2007 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Problem fixed)
Siggi Árni

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 14, 2007, 05:51 AM

Check iTunes Preferences > Advanced > General > iTunes Music folder location

pheonixash
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 14, 2007, 05:59 AM

Works perfectly fine on a 1.83 Core Duo MacBook. I don't see any improved performance though. Haven't been able to test if my speakers have become better.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Mar 14, 2007, 06:11 AM

2.16 c2d MBP.

Can confirm the sound preference loss when plugging and unplugging USB headphones is now fixed.

5 Hours in a work environment, and no issues as yet.

TPC

chrismear
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2007, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by post_break View Post
My macbooks audio is much louder than before, its almost 50% louder than before.
Yeah, flippin' heck. My MBP is now noticeably louder on one bar of volume than it was before. So much for super-quiet night-time music...

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 14, 2007, 07:04 AM

My dual 2ghz G5 seems fine, no differences noted so far.

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

trillionandone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2007, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by kick52 View Post
personaly i love the new theme.
it goes fine with the current desktop backgrounds and everything.
New Theme? I would like to understand what this implies as well... Are you talking about a new option beyond Blue and Graphite in the "Appearences" preference pane?

kanx06
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2007, 07:53 AM

Thank you very much! I appreciate the help. I'll let you know how it goes when/if I can get it fixed up.

pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 14, 2007, 08:04 AM

One small 10.4.9 nit noted with my 2’ Intel iMac-

I am virtually certain I did not have the problem with 10.4.8, so, FWIW, I attribute it 10.4.9 (Combo Updater)-

The “Hot Corner” (System Preferences/Desktop & Screen Saver> Screen Saver pane) no longer worked.

I then trashed the com.apple.ScreenSaver.Engine.plist, restarted, and all is again right with the world.

Strangely, at least to me, the above plist has not reappeared.
( Last edited by pendragon; Mar 14, 2007 at 08:14 AM. )
Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.10.3), iPhone 5 (iOS 8.3)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

zeebe
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 14, 2007, 08:53 AM

This is a little off topic, but check out the link from Macupdate:
Apple Mac OS X 10.4.9 - MacUpdate

Especially read the Editor's notes!!! Looks like we will have Leopard here soon! (If the editor knows what they are saying!!)

Support a charity as you search the Internet - Use GoodSearch - I support Sacred Heart School.

wei
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 14, 2007, 09:05 AM

Rotation support finally added for nVidia card.

tested on my MacPro's 7300gt.
MacPro, MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacMini, iPad, iPhone, and much more...

Jerommeke
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2007, 09:08 AM

I hate this new Eject holding feature. On normal keyboards there is not way to 'accidentely' press the button, in my opinon and when I want to shut down my machine I also have to press that eject button in the same way. Please, let the old behaviour return!
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 20", 2 GB RAM, 400 GB, OS X 10.4.5, iPod with color screen 60 GB

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 14, 2007, 09:13 AM

working fine on my work computers too... No issues yet.
we don't have time to stop for gas

GatorsFan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2007, 09:14 AM

I installed 10.4.9, rebooted, and then my phone rang. It was Nicole Kidman calling me from Oz. Said that Kenny was on-tour and that she was soaking in a bubble bath and wanted to hear the sound of my voice. The noise of a champagne bottle clinking against the rim of her crystal stemware was audible in the background. Suddenly, my screen was filled with the sight of fireworks bursting over the skyline of Sydney. My breath came in short gasps. There was the rushing sound of far-off thunder. I could hear the water sloshing in her deep Roman tub. . .

All I can say is "Thank you, Steve Jobs, thank you very much."
iMac 20"

rotuts
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2007, 09:30 AM

I have a MPro and an iSight ( no longer sold) will that work with 10.4.9? like tyo know before I update

cheers
MacPro 2.66 dual 3GB RAM 1.5 TB HD's
24" + 21" Samsung flat panels
Miglia mini HD (Great!)

cartoonspin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2007, 09:40 AM

Does anyone know if it fixes the blue color issue when logged into fast switching? That is a major annoying bug for me.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 14, 2007, 09:41 AM

I noticed that now the Eject key on my Apple Keyboard must be pressed for like 3 seconds to eject a disc now. Also 10.4.9 seems waaaaay faster than Tiger has ever been on my Power Mac G4. Also on my Power Mac, OS X's resolution is now automatically my display's highest resolution.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 14, 2007, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by zeebe View Post
Especially read the Editor's notes!!! Looks like we will have Leopard here soon! (If the editor knows what they are saying!!)
He's just a firm believer.

Divergex
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2007, 10:25 AM

USB Video Class (UVC)s a standard that many new webcams use to allow for basically driver-free use. A couple of the new Logitech webcams support this standard. OSX has had support for such cameras since 10.4.3, but 10.4.9 updates it so that they work properly with iChat. You need to confirm that the camera you buy supports the standard, as there are (for example) two versions of Logitech's webcam 5000, the older that does not support UVC and the newer one that does. Most older cams do not support this.

If a webcam has a Windows Vista logo on it then it should support UVC because such support is a requirement to carry that logo.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 14, 2007, 10:40 AM

Just updated and it seems to be nice and stable for me. I haven't poked around too much, but my normal practices have not been negatively affected. I have only restarted once-the one that the update requires-and that took the normal "after update" extra time, but opening stuff seems "snappier."

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 14, 2007, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by rotuts View Post
I have a MPro and an iSight ( no longer sold) will that work with 10.4.9? like tyo know before I update

cheers
Of course it will..

While im here.. I forgot to mention that I too experienced a problem when installing the update on a MacBook.. Similar to what some other people have said.. It downloaded, started optimising.. And took a while.. Then there was some error (Sorry, forgot what it said) I restarted and it was still at 10.4.8
So.. Downloaded and installed the 10.4.9 update again.. And the optimising took forever. The progress bar even jumped backwards a couple of times.. Anyway, I left it a while, and eventually it sorted itself out and worked fine second time around.
Very odd, and obviously something isn't quite right if a few people have experienced this. But ultimately it was alright for me anyway.

No such problems on 2 other Macs here (G4 & G5) although the restarts took much longer than usual.
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

galley
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2007, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by voth View Post
Just installed 10.4.9, rebooted. Tried to eject my DVD/CD drive prior to this installation I could just tap the eject button, now I am force to hold it down. Loading does seem a little slower too.

FYI: System is a G5 2.0 (Dual) w/ 6GB ram.
It appears that Apple has changed the way the EJECT keyboard key is processed, so that you have to keep it down for a half second or so for it to take effect. Probably because a lot of people (like me) were hitting it accidentally. On my old iMac G4 800, this would sometimes result in the tray door hitting my keyboard and jamming the tray. By the way, I discovered that you also have to hold the EJECT key down for a bit when using it in the CMD-OPT-EJECT combination to sleep the Mac. I suspect this will be true for other combinations involving that key.

jodyr3
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2007, 11:38 AM

If I have iWoW turned on, iTunes crashes when playing an internet radio station. Turning iWoW off allows internet radio to play.

tkmd
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 14, 2007, 11:47 AM

Update went without problems- I too experienced a long reboot time - but there have been no problems. One thing I have noticed, is that if I go to system profiler and go to memory section , now it notes all my memory slots regardless if they are filled or not.
Pismo 400 | Powerbook 1.5 GHz | MacPro 2.66/6GB/7300GT

dmsimmer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2007, 12:35 PM

Turn down the volume in iTunes to get that subtle, ambient music. It's separate from the volume on your computer.

richwig83
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2007, 12:52 PM

Im glad they fixed the eject button problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Whats this talk about new themes?? (i cant install yet due to a internet problem)

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Mar 14, 2007, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by richardwigley View Post
Im glad they fixed the eject button problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Whats this talk about new themes?? (i cant install yet due to a internet problem)
themes remark was a joke (i assume...no new 'themes' here).

am amazed not to see my kensington bluetooth mouse wake my powerbook when i first put it to sleep!
all else seems same here; speed, functionality.
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Bobby
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 14, 2007, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by sabre 39 View Post
My Bluetooth icon disappeared out of my menu bar, even though the option in Preferences to show it there was selected. Had to deselect and select a couple of times before I got it to show.
Welcome to the club, this happens to me almost every time I reboot.

If you uncheck the option, then re-check it and quit system prefs, the icon should come back...

lockhartt
Mar 14, 2007, 01:43 PM

I don't like the delay at all... it messes up my shutdown routine of ctrl-eject. I used to just hit ctrl-eject and then enter on the computer (currently an iMac Core Duo) as I walked past on the way to bed, now I have to stop and wait a second for it to recognize the eject key... blah. There's not supposed to be a delay for ctrl-eject... just eject.

Originally Posted by mrcarson2 View Post
I installed 10.4.9 on my Macbook Pro CD 2Ghz and it was almost done "optimizing" and it gave a kernel panic. I restarted and it took several minutes to boot up, but it seems ok now. I love the fact that the eject button is delayed like on all of my previous macs!
( Last edited by lockhartt; Mar 14, 2007 at 01:45 PM. Reason: typo)

GreenwoodMO
Forum Regular
Mar 14, 2007, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by fisherKing View Post
themes remark was a joke (i assume...no new 'themes' here).

am amazed not to see my kensington bluetooth mouse wake my powerbook when i first put it to sleep!
all else seems same here; speed, functionality.
I think the theme post was just a miss post and was in regards to the sticky about the theme change for the MacNN site.

thisdarcy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2007, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by kanx06 View Post
Don't know what the heck happened....towards the end of download, was told there was an error, the downloaded files were sent to the trash can and would be deleted. So I hit restart as the message told me to, and everything cleared except my desktop background...so forced shut down, then went to startup again and all it does is goto the gray screen with the apple and spins...so now I'm stuck in windows ...anyone have any tips
Same problem here. Tried Disk Repair with install DVD and no change. Tried Safe Boot, waited ages, no love. Am making a disk image in Disk Utility now to an external drive I've manage to borrow. I have a lot of stuff backed up to DVD-R, but still more thats hanging in the balance here. I don't even know if the disk image will be of any use for retrieving files, but its worth a try.

Bit nervous about installing OS X again in the hopes it won't write over my files. Anyone else have any luck here?

Siggi_arni
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2007, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Check iTunes Preferences > Advanced > General > iTunes Music folder location
Thanks Simon, but that did not work for me.

ps. I think you need another mac
Siggi Árni

dannyillusion
Forum Regular
Mar 14, 2007, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by parsec_kadets View Post
Same with the Nokia 6133.
Tell me about it, apple is falling seriously behind on isync supported phones and the big question is... WHYYYY!!!!
DI

thisdarcy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2007, 03:00 PM

Ok, I'm in the installer. It won't let me install to the external drive, unfortunately, because it says OS X can't start from this volume. Its formatted for Macs, so I guess that means OS X just doesn't boot from externals. Bummer.

With my MB's HDD selected it says the following:

"You have selected to move the files in the System folder on this volume to a folder named "Previous System" and save existing settings and user accounts. After installing a new version of Mac OS X, your existing settings and user accounts will be restored."

Hmmm, that sounds about alright, though a little too vague or un-mentioning about what will happen to all my other files and apps. It says the install requires 15.5GB and fortunately with some recent spring cleaning I've got 20.7GB free.

My finger's on the button. Someone please either stop me or tell me its all gonna be alright!

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 14, 2007, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by cartoonspin View Post
Does anyone know if it fixes the blue color issue when logged into fast switching? That is a major annoying bug for me.
What behavior is that?, I use to lost my own Display Profile when doing FUS (fast user switching), but I did solve it adding the DMProxy item to the Dock so I just have to click on it, Terminal launchs and the Display Profile is OK again.

If that is what happens to you, DMProxy is located at:
System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Versions/A/Resources/DMProxy

Get Info on it to check if it is aimed to be opened with the Terminal.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Mar 14, 2007, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by dannyillusion View Post
Tell me about it, apple is falling seriously behind on isync supported phones and the big question is... WHYYYY!!!!
iPhone

Forum Links
Forum Rules