Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > thermal paste powerbook G4 12"

thermal paste powerbook G4 12"
UnixWarrior
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2007, 07:53 AM

I took my Powerbook G4 12" apart and I have a question about thermal paste.

I know that on an imac G4 flatscreen you have to put thermal paste on the CPU. But I am not sure if I have to put thermal paste on an powerbook G4 12" since it uses thermal pads?

Thanks for your time.

M.
But what happens when karma, turns right around and bites you?
And everything you stand for, turns on you, despite you?

Reddog99
Dec 28, 2007, 12:59 AM

Well, this is probably too late for you, but for anyone else with the same question, the answer is yes, you do need to use new thermal grease on the CPU. You need to first remove the old paste or pad from the cpu & heatsink, and clean the surfaces with alcohol, then apply the new grease very sparingly.

Tesselator
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 21, 2008, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Reddog99 View Post
Well, this is probably too late for you, but for anyone else with the same question, the answer is yes, you do need to use new thermal grease on the CPU. You need to first remove the old paste or pad from the cpu & heatsink, and clean the surfaces with alcohol, then apply the new grease very sparingly.
Don't do that unless you want to ruin your machine. First off thermal grease is different
from thermal paste and is used for temporary fixtures during prototyping and etc. You
shouldn't use "thermal grease" on a machine you're going to button up and use daily
over a long period of time.

Next "thermal pads" need direct contact to the material and applying additional paste is
highly inadvisable!! Clean the two surfaces with acetone (not alcohol!!!) and replace the
pad with a new one.

Now, thermal paste may be used INSTEAD OF a thermal pad if you would like and will
behave the same. Just be very careful not to put too much on. Although by looking
at your included photo I would highly recommend using a pad!

Again, do NOT use both pads and paste together and do not use "thermal grease" unless
it's just for a few weeks or months or something.

EDIT: Thermal Paste is also sometimes called "Thermal Compound".
( Last edited by Tesselator; Jan 21, 2008 at 11:14 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules