Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > USB 3.0 PCI Card

USB 3.0 PCI Card
Camali
Mac Enthusiast
May 29, 2012, 04:38 PM

Anyone have any experience/recommend a USB 3.0 card for a 2009 Mac Pro? I'm reading lots of mixed reviews on the web, and like to just get one that works.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2012, 12:25 AM

Haven't looked into it on a while but it seems that the LaCie offer works great… with LaCie hard drives.

Reddog99
Aug 17, 2012, 05:10 PM

CalDigit makes a lot of this kind of stuff and it's supposed to be good quality. You can buy from Powermax.

That said, I just returned a USB3/eSATA card of theirs because I found out that the USB ports will not function with non-storage devices (keyboard, etc.). It wasn't defective and if they had just specified this in the data sheet we both could have been save a lot of troubleshooting (I'd never have purchased it to start with). Fortunately, they guarantee satisfaction, so I'll get my money back.

So, if you want USB3, and don't need it for non-storage devices, Caldigit makes them.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 18, 2012, 07:38 AM

I'd take a look at xlr8yourmac.com. This is the sort of thing they'd have a bunch of user reports on.
I'd also check OWC. You can be sure they will thoroughly test everything they sell for use with Macs.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Forum Links
Forum Rules