Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Schmidt: Apple, Google to handle disputes as 'adults'

Schmidt: Apple, Google to handle disputes as 'adults'
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Dec 4, 2012, 03:38 PM

Apple and Google should work through their ongoing differences in a state-like, "adult" manner, according to Google executive chairman Eric Schmidt. Schmidt, in a recent interview, brushed aside much of the media's coverage of the struggle between the two tech giants, arguing that the two companies will opt for "the adult way to run a business" instead of the "sort of teenage model of competition" he says the press hopes for. Schmidt says that "conversations are going on all the time" between the two companies, though he declined to say whether a grand resolution is in the foreseeable future.

Speaking with The Wall Street Journal, Schmidt expressed confusion over Apple's decision to go with its own mapping solution over Google's. He said, though, that "the adult way to run a business is to run it more like a country. They have disputes, yet they've actually been able to have huge trade with each other. They're not sending bombs at each other." Schmidt, who has previously characterized the iOS-Android battle as the industry's "defining fight," said he believes Apple CEO Tim Cook and Google CEO Larry Page have "an understanding of this state model. When they and their teams meet, they have just a long list of things to talk about."

Don108
Dec 4, 2012, 05:01 PM

I guess by "adult" he means pretending to be someone's friend, stealing their hard work, creating cheap products that are bad imitations of that work even though they look like it, and then release it in an attempt to destroy your "friend's" business because you lack any creativity yourself.

DrSkywalker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2012, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Don108 View Post
I guess by "adult" he means pretending to be someone's friend, stealing their hard work, creating cheap products that are bad imitations of that work even though they look like it, and then release it in an attempt to destroy your "friend's" business because you lack any creativity yourself.
I only wish that I could have put it as perfectly as Don here did.

fractaledge
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2012, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by NewsPoster View Post
... Schmidt expressed confusion over Apple's decision to go with its own mapping solution over Google's."
I guess its too much to expect Google's glorious chairman to remember that, ever since Google has started peddling Android, Google has purposefully been holding new features back on iOS. Its really confusing why Apple would ever seek to implement its own mapping solution when there is a perfectly good Google solution that hasn't been updated on IOS since last decade.

Or perhaps Eric just decided to go past the mature adult stage and go straight to geriatric senile stage, who knows.

lockhartt
Dec 4, 2012, 08:18 PM

Yup... I'd say that pretty much sums it up. That and the fact that Schmidt has finally gotten to the point where he's not turning around every 30 seconds to make sure Steve isn't sneaking up behind him to unleash unleash a load of whoop-arse like the world has never seen, so he's feeling a bit cocky.

The degenerate low-life techno-troll should just learn to shut up and count his lucky stars.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2012, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by NewsPoster View Post
Schmidt expressed confusion over Apple's decision to go with its own mapping solution over Google's. He said, though, that "the adult way to run a business is to run it more like a country.
Requiring Apple to hand over my data and to include prominent branding for a direct competitor in exchange for basic functionality is in fact an adult deal.

And it was as much a sensible, adult thing to walk away from that deal.

Take your make-believe innocence and shove it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules