Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > YouTube5 & Click2Flash not working

YouTube5 & Click2Flash not working
Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2013, 11:53 AM

I got rid of Adobe Flash a couple of months ago when I found these plugging, but today Youtube videos just don't seem to work. The videos start loading and playing but then immediately stop and come up with the "require adobe flash plugin..." message. Many videos are not playing on my iPad1 either (something about 'mobile browsers, or something'.

I tried reinstalling the plugins and resetting and restarting safari to no avail.

Wondering if any of you guys are having the same issues?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 23, 2013, 12:04 PM

You might want to join the HTML5 beta again, perhaps your cookie expired or was deleted.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2013, 07:27 PM

I uninstalled those plugins and opted into the youtube html thing, but videos still dont play. (There's no way i'm installing flash)

Any other suggestions?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 23, 2013, 07:47 PM

Well, I don't think all YouTube videos are available as HTML5, particularly the ones with embedded ads and/or embedded navigation. Does this happen with all YouTube videos, or just some?

OreoCookie
Jun 23, 2013, 09:29 PM

I think Google's enthusiasm for html5 videos has wavered a bit, especially after they started pushing their own webm format that hasn't exactly caught on fire.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 23, 2013, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
I think Google's enthusiasm for html5 videos has wavered a bit, especially after they started pushing their own webm format that hasn't exactly caught on fire.
The fact that as of Firefox 21 and any version of Chrome WebM is not needed for any sort of video playback in any browser, Google seems to have recognized this failed project. It never did drop MPEG-4 support from Chrome.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 24, 2013, 04:26 AM

The Click2Flash extension only makes sense if you actually have Flash installed. The whole point is to block the plug-in from being loaded. If the plug-in isn't there, it's not going to load, regardless.

Also, YouTube5 and YouTube's HTML5 beta actually try to do the same thing, as far as I know.

I remember having to opt OUT of YouTube's HTML5 beta, and I've UNinstalled YouTube5 because it was breaking things.

I now have only Click2Flash installed (and the Flash plug-in), and everything works fine.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2013, 09:05 AM

Still not working.

And it seems to be happening to any random YouTube video I click on. It's bizzare cause the video starts to load, and sometimes start playing, and then a second or two into it, i get the 'adobe flash is missing' message.

Very frustrating, considering it was working just fine the day before.

Curiosity
Senior User
Jun 25, 2013, 01:55 AM

Safari for Mac is now using HTML5 with YouTube. Click to Flash controls Flash, not anything else.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2013, 02:10 PM

I had Click2Flash installed, but disabled.

My working setup was: Safari(Mac) and YouTube5.

Now it isn't working. I've tried reinstalling youtube5 to no avail. What are your working setups? (with version numbers if possible?)

Cheers

Curiosity
Senior User
Jun 26, 2013, 01:04 AM

What is YouTube5? Is that something you have to install to use HTML5? On my system, Safari is using HTML5 whenever possible with video sites. Click to Plugin is the extension I use with Safari to control plugins, but it does not work with HTML5 because that is not a plugin.

qeek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2013, 08:25 AM

It started happening to me too in the last week or so.

I suspect it has to do with YouTube trying to force ads onto the users. It is clearly not a problem with the plug-ins or the browser. As you noticed, the videos sometimes start playing for a second or two before they get blocked.

It is also not caused by being out of the HTML5 trial—I am in it and indeed some videos are played in the HTML5 player, but most get blocked.

For now, you may use Google Chrome which has its own Flash plugin, or install Flash until a new solution arises. (the good news is, once you install Flash, the plug-ins start working again)

Forum Links
Forum Rules