Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Can connect to ISP OK, but can't go anywhere :-(

Can connect to ISP OK, but can't go anywhere :-(
Reddog99
Mar 15, 2002, 04:21 PM

My computer is a DP 533 G4 running OS X 10.1.3

I don't know what I have done
The dialup "connects" ok and I can see in PPP Monitor that I'm connected to my ISP, but I can't
get thru to anywhere. Mail says "Can't connect to POP3 host" and Omniweb says "No such host" and NewsReader says there is no server. It was working OK yesterday.... The only programs I can think of that I've run since then are Folding, SETI, and Excel in Classic & Excel OS X (demo).

- I can connect without problems on another computer, so it's not the ISP.
- I rebooted without effect.
- I double-checked that BrickHouse was inactive (clear all rules, there is no startup script).
- All the internet system preferences appear to be as they should be.

What's up? It almost seems like an over-active firewall (which I don't think I have). I've checked everything I know about. I'm out of ideas. Help?

Pat

larkost
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2002, 05:17 PM

Try opening a terminal window and typeing this in:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1"face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial">code:</font><HR><pre><font size=1 face=courier>ping <font color = blue>144.92</font>.<font color = blue>9.22</font></font>[/code]

After typing return you should get a series of responce times. If you get nothing, that means that you have no connection to the outside world at all. In that case the next thing to do is to get the "Connected to" address from the Interntet Connect panel and try pinging that. If you get a responce there and nothing from the IP I gave earlier, then you have a router problem on your ISP's side. If you can't get anything from the second address either, then there is a problem in the modem connection or your local setup.

Jerommeke
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2002, 05:33 PM

is there anything in the console that could help figure it out? for example; things containing "lookup"
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 20", 2 GB RAM, 400 GB, OS X 10.4.5, iPod with color screen 60 GB

RH
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 16, 2002, 12:54 AM

I am having the exact same problem w/my connection in X. The differece is that this started happening after I had some propblems unrelated to my Internet connection, and I had to reinstall my system software.

I have no proplems with my DSL service if I start up in 9.2 but when I attempt to log on in X, I connect and IE opens and that's it!!! Blank white screen.

I did the ping thing mentioned above and it worked fine, I got a bunch of responce times but I am at a lost now. HELP!!! I still can't connect. :confused

taffy
Mar 16, 2002, 01:11 AM

keep in mind that it might not always be a problem on your side. it could easily be, say the dns server on your isp. if you can ping, but none of the name-based requests isn't going thru, then it might be the dns not being able to resolve the address.

-ck

Reddog99  (op)
Mar 16, 2002, 01:41 AM

larkost, I'll try the pinging tonite when I get home from work.

Taffy, I doubt that it's the ISP fault. I have an iBook and a PC running Be that can both get online without problems. The Be machine is what I used to post the message.

Thanks for the suggestions,
Pat

Reddog99  (op)
Mar 16, 2002, 04:35 AM

larkost, I pinged the address you provided and got the message "no route to host" (where is that?). I pinged the ISP's address and got nothing in return from the terminal. However, the send/receive window showed lots of activity in & out. A cntl-c to stop gave the message of 100% packet loss.

As an odd aside (or maybe it has something to do with this), I've noticed an almost instant FTP connection to my Be machine now, whereas in the past, it seemed to take almost a minute to get the initial connection.

I've copied the ppp log entries for when I tried the pinging routine, maybe you can decipher them:

CCLMatched : CONNECT
CCLMatched : 24000
CCLMatched : \10
Serial connection established.
using link 0
Using interface ppp0
Connect: ppp0 &lt;--&gt; /dev/cu.modem
sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 &lt;asyncmap 0x0&gt; &lt;magic 0x20e4750&gt; &lt;pcomp&gt; &lt;accomp&gt;]
rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 &lt; 00 04 00 00&gt; &lt;mru 1524&gt; &lt;asyncmap 0x0&gt; &lt;auth pap&gt; &lt;pcomp&gt; &lt;accomp&gt; &lt;mrru 1524&gt; &lt;endpoint 13 09 03 00 c0 7b 9a 08 17&gt;]
lcp_reqci: rcvd unknown option 0
lcp_reqci: returning CONFREJ.
sent [LCP ConfRej id=0x1 &lt; 00 04 00 00&gt; &lt;mrru 1524&gt;]
rcvd [LCP ConfAck id=0x1 &lt;asyncmap 0x0&gt; &lt;magic 0x20e4750&gt; &lt;pcomp&gt; &lt;accomp&gt;]
rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x2 &lt;mru 1524&gt; &lt;asyncmap 0x0&gt; &lt;auth pap&gt; &lt;pcomp&gt; &lt;accomp&gt; &lt;endpoint 13 09 03 00 c0 7b 9a 08 17&gt;]
lcp_reqci: returning CONFACK.
sent [LCP ConfAck id=0x2 &lt;mru 1524&gt; &lt;asyncmap 0x0&gt; &lt;auth pap&gt; &lt;pcomp&gt; &lt;accomp&gt; &lt;endpoint 13 09 03 00 c0 7b 9a 08 17&gt;]
sent [PAP AuthReq id=0x1 user="reddog" password=&lt;hidden&gt;]
rcvd [PAP AuthAck id=0x1 ""]
sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1 &lt;addr 0.0.0.0&gt;]
rcvd [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1 &lt;compress VJ 0f 01&gt; &lt;addr 209.244.42.40&gt;]
ipcp: returning Configure-REJ
sent [IPCP ConfRej id=0x1 &lt;compress VJ 0f 01&gt;]
rcvd [IPCP ConfNak id=0x1 &lt;addr 216.98.152.128&gt;]
sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x2 &lt;addr 216.98.152.128&gt;]
rcvd [IPCP ConfReq id=0x2 &lt;addr 209.244.42.40&gt;]
ipcp: returning Configure-ACK
sent [IPCP ConfAck id=0x2 &lt;addr 209.244.42.40&gt;]
rcvd [IPCP ConfAck id=0x2 &lt;addr 216.98.152.128&gt;]
ipcp: up
local IP address 216.98.152.128
remote IP address 209.244.42.40
Terminating on signal 15.
ipcp: down
sent [LCP TermReq id=0x2 "User request"]
rcvd [LCP TermAck id=0x2]
Connection terminated.
Connect time 6.5 minutes.
Sent 6059 bytes, received 4480 bytes.
CCLWrite : +++
CCLWrite : ATH\13
CCLMatched : NO CARRIER\13\10
CCLWrite : AT&F\13
CCLMatched : OK\13\10
Serial link disconnected.
Using interface ppp0
local IP address 10.64.64.64
remote IP address 10.112.112.112
Using interface ppp0
local IP address 10.64.64.64
remote IP address 10.112.112.112

Pat

Cipher13
Mar 16, 2002, 09:03 AM

I haven't read the previous posts in this thread, so forgive me for any repetition.

It's most likely either your domain name server, or simply your domain name server settings.

Call your ISP and find out your DNS servers address; if they ask why you need it tell them your OS isn't capable of automatic configuration, or some garbage. Say you're using System 7 - they won't even know what it is.

If you can go to, say, http://ipaddress in your browser and have it turn up, its definately DNS. Same deal if you can ping outside servers.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 16, 2002, 09:16 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
<STRONG>If you can go to, say, http://ipaddress in your browser and have it turn up, its definately DNS. Same deal if you can ping outside servers.</STRONG>
Here's a real world example to branch off of Cipher's idea.

140.186.123.168 - MacNN's IP

This probably isn't your problem though since you can't even ping, but for the other guy having problems, try this. You said you could ping so it's probably a DNS issue for you.

The DJ
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 16, 2002, 09:26 AM

Originally posted by Reddog99:
<STRONG>larkost, I pinged the address you provided and got the message "no route to host" (where is that?). I pinged the ISP's address and got nothing in return from the terminal. However, the send/receive window showed lots of activity in & out. A cntl-c to stop gave the message of 100% packet loss.
</STRONG>
Well, the connection seemed to be ok.
Try the following. Go to Network Settings and Choose "Active Network Ports" from the "Choose" dropdown list.
Now drag your Modem to the top of the list and choose "Apply"

Maybe that will work.
And make sure you use different subnetmasks for your PPP and your internal network. 255.255.255.0 is usually good for internal networks. But try 255.255.0.0 as an alternative.

DJ

Derk-Jan Hartman, Student of the University Twente (NL), developer of VLC media player

Reddog99  (op)
Mar 16, 2002, 02:28 PM

Try the following. Go to Network Settings and Choose "Active Network Ports" from the "Choose" dropdown list. Now drag your Modem to the top of the list and choose "Apply" Try the following. Go to Network Settings and Choose "Active Network Ports" from the "Choose" dropdown list.
Now drag your Modem to the top of the list and choose "Apply"

That did it! I can't remember messing with that order, but apparently I did (one bitch slap for me, DUH!) On the face of it, it seems stupid that the order would matter. I mean, what good is the "Automatic" selection if I have to go in and select manually?

A very hearty "Thank you" to all who left messages here trying to help. (I was about to try to re-install).

Pat

[ 03-16-2002: Message edited by: Reddog99 ]

The DJ
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 16, 2002, 08:36 PM

Originally posted by Reddog99:
<STRONG>
That did it! I can't remember messing with that order, but apparently I did (one bitch slap for me, DUH!) On the face of it, it seems stupid that the order would matter. I mean, what good is the "Automatic" selection if I have to go in and select manually?
</STRONG>
Well actually the automatic is only the first network configuration that was automatically setup for you. The order preference usually does not matter, unless the subnetmasks are not OK, or in some cases with PPP connections and automatic dialin.

Good to see it worked.

DJ

Derk-Jan Hartman, Student of the University Twente (NL), developer of VLC media player

Forum Links
Forum Rules