Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > New AppleSCCSerial.kext -- possible fix for hangs

New AppleSCCSerial.kext -- possible fix for hangs (Page 4)
apple4ever
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2002, 10:36 PM

Just to check back in. After I rebooted since having that hang, everything is good. i think the old kext was still loaded, but rebooting forced the OS to load the new one. I've been up 4 days without a hang. Usually it will happen after 1 day. Its all good!
Pennsylvania Patriot
Mac Lover

swiz
GUI Punk
Mar 6, 2002, 10:56 PM

My grandad has the last model of the old iMac's and it does have the hang problem but I have the new iMac G4 800 and it has never hanged(hung?). Both computers have the same system- and installed from the same disc. Is it in the hardware somehow?

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

JKT
Professional Poster
Mar 7, 2002, 08:06 AM

Originally posted by tug:
<STRONG>I'm hoping you can help me with this problem -I don't think it's come up yet.

I've installed the new kext, on my Pismo PB400, everthing works great, horray. The problem occurs when I take my book to work and connect via ethernet. I can access all the network shares but can't access the internet via our network's connection. If I reboot it works great, when I get home I can hook up PPP great, but back at work I have the same problem. This has only been a problem since I installed the new kext.

Any ideas?</STRONG>
I've just been reading the MacFixIt headlines of the day. Perhaps this will help you too... they were having problems with dial-up which were solved by rearranging the order of the interfaces used to connect in the Network preferences. That is, they had to move modem to the top of the list above ethernet to get it to work. Perhaps you need to do the reverse - move modem below ethernet when at work. You can set up two locations to do this automatically (e.g. home location - have modem at the top, work location have ethernet at the top).

HTH.

KaptainKaya
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2002, 09:17 PM

Is it 10.1.3 or does this .kext file seem to crash my Finder every 30 seconds or so? B&W G3/350, 40GB HD, 896MB RAM. The RAM isnt a problem, neither is the HD since this has happened after 10.1.3.

PowermacG4_450
Mar 8, 2002, 02:03 PM

So, im lost...

Im using Macos 10.1.3, and ppp dialup to earthlink.

the long wait while connecting and disconnecting to the net is irritating at best...

Is this a Macos bug? Is there a fix for it? how do I fix it?

thanks.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 8, 2002, 03:14 PM

Originally posted by swiz:
<STRONG>My grandad has the last model of the old iMac's and it does have the hang problem but I have the new iMac G4 800 and it has never hanged(hung?). Both computers have the same system- and installed from the same disc. Is it in the hardware somehow?</STRONG>
The new iMacs use USB modems. The old ones didn't (I believe). That could be the reason, but I'm just guessing.

amontague
Mar 9, 2002, 07:31 AM

Just a question: are you using NAT? natd (or to be more precise the kernel) has a bug that creates these types of problems when you keep nat running on a dial up port. First time connect (after boot) always works, following connects don't because natd still sits on the interface from the previous connection. Fix: send natd a -HUP signal. Can be automated by using /etc/ppp/ip-up. Torsten Beyer
Hi Torsten,

I starting using IPNetShareX recently to share an internet connection, but I've run into the problem that you describe. I've been getting around the problem by turning off and on sharing every time I reconnect to the internet - a real pain.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by sending natd a -HUP signal. Is this the same as killing the natd process? I still can't get a useful connection to the internet after killing natd. Am I missing something? Can you be more specific in how to automacially achieve this with /etc/ppp/ip-up - This file isn't present on my set-up.

I would love to find out more about nat on OS X. Can you point me to some good tutorials? IPNetShareX works fine, but I'd like to have a better understanding of what is going on.

Andrew Montague
www.draiochtweb.com

amontague
Mar 9, 2002, 07:45 AM

Hi all,

I've applied the new kext and I no longer get the Internet connect hang. That's a great step forward as I was getting hangs that lasted up to 45 minutes. However, fixing that problem has highlighted a separate issue with internet connections.

From time to time (once or twice a week) the internet connection stops sending or receiving packets, but the OS still thinks it is connected. When I try to disconnect, the system attempts to disconnect but never succeeds. I cannot stop this process. It slows down my entire system, although other programmes are still usable. I can usually save and quit from all running programmes. The one programme that does not respond is terminal. It will not open a new window, or if it has not been launched - it cannot be launched. As a result I can't kill the offending process.

I can't shutdown the system either, as it won't shutdown while trying to disconnect. Eventually I have to resort to a forced reboot.

I always thought that this problem was part of the Internet Connect problem but the new kext has resolved that problem while this problem persists. I suspect however that they may be related problems.

Has anyone else had similar experiences? I've sent this feedback to Apple.

Andrew Montague
www.draiochtweb.com

OoklaTheMok
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 10, 2002, 04:23 AM

Originally posted by amontague:
<STRONG>From time to time (once or twice a week) the internet connection stops sending or receiving packets, but the OS still thinks it is connected. When I try to disconnect, the system attempts to disconnect but never succeeds. I cannot stop this process. It slows down my entire system, although other programmes are still usable. I can usually save and quit from all running programmes. The one programme that does not respond is terminal. It will not open a new window, or if it has not been launched - it cannot be launched. As a result I can't kill the offending process.

I can't shutdown the system either, as it won't shutdown while trying to disconnect. Eventually I have to resort to a forced reboot.

I always thought that this problem was part of the Internet Connect problem but the new kext has resolved that problem while this problem persists. I suspect however that they may be related problems.

Has anyone else had similar experiences? I've sent this feedback to Apple.

Andrew Montague
www.draiochtweb.com</STRONG>
Hey, this is exactly what happened with my computer. I always thought this was the hang problem, but I guess it's something diferent. You didn't mention it, but the PPP menu would have the marching disconnecting lines and would keep on marchin' no matter what I did.

But also I was unable to launch more programs than just Terminal.

I was sometimes able to do "sudo reboot" from the terminal (if it was open) to avoid having to hard-restart the computer. But even this didn't work sometimes.

Anyway...I got dsl a bit less than a month ago, and thus the problem is not applicable anymore. But yes I did send feedback to Apple about it before. This is on an iMac DVSE 500.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 10, 2002, 05:24 AM

<STRONG>Can you be more specific in how to automacially achieve this with /etc/ppp/ip-up - This file isn't present on my set-up.</STRONG>
You can just create it. A standard shell script is all that's needed. Make sure it's executable.

bm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2002, 01:32 AM

I've got a DP 450 MHz and have had the hang problem when connecting with PPP since getting OS X. Installing AppleSCCSerial.kext v1.2.2 completely stopped the hangs, but I have experienced at least four kernel panics since installing it and seldom had them before. The kernel panics seemed to have been triggered by connecting to the internet. I have two of them captured with a digital camera. Both list AppleSCCSerial (1.2.2) as Kernel loadable module in the backtrace, whatever that is.

I am very pleased with the hang fix but not with the kernel panics. So who can I send these screen photos too? I would like to see this fixed.

[ 03-12-2002: Message edited by: bm ]

benh57
Senior User
Mar 12, 2002, 04:21 AM

Originally posted by bm:
[QB]
I am very pleased with the hang fix but not with the kernel panics. So who can I send these screen photos too? I would like to see this fixed.
Um.. Apple?
Dual 800 - GF3 - 1.5GB

JKT
Professional Poster
Mar 12, 2002, 06:30 AM

Originally posted by bm:
<STRONG>I've got a DP 450 MHz and have had the hang problem when connecting with PPP since getting OS X. Installing AppleSCCSerial.kext v1.2.2 completely stopped the hangs, but I have experienced at least four kernel panics since installing it and seldom had them before. The kernel panics seemed to have been triggered by connecting to the internet. I have two of them captured with a digital camera. Both list AppleSCCSerial (1.2.2) as Kernel loadable module in the backtrace, whatever that is.

[ 03-12-2002: Message edited by: bm ]</STRONG>
Either E-mail them to [email protected] or write down the info and post it at the MacOSX feedback page at Apple.com. Try to provide as accurate a description as you can as to what you were doing at the time (e..g which apps were open, how you connected - via IC or the menubar icon, etc).

[ 03-12-2002: Message edited by: JKT ]

N.B. Since I installed 14 days ago, zero hangs and fortunately zero Kernel Panics either.

[ 03-12-2002: Message edited by: JKT ]

bm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2002, 10:50 AM

Originally posted by JKT:
<STRONG>

N.B. Since I installed 14 days ago, zero hangs and fortunately zero Kernel Panics either.

</STRONG>
Thanks for the help. I went up to 7 days without a hang or kernel panic just last week. Prior to installing the fix I would reboot everyday or so because the hangs are shorter (or don't even happen) if the machine has been re-started recently. After installing the fix the hangs disappeared completely so I decided to see how long it would go and 7 days was it.

Torsten Beyer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2002, 11:41 AM

<STRONG>

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by sending natd a -HUP signal. Is this the same as killing the natd process? I still can't get a useful connection to the internet after killing natd. Am I missing something? Can you be more specific in how to automacially achieve this with /etc/ppp/ip-up - This file isn't present on my set-up.

I would love to find out more about nat on OS X. Can you point me to some good tutorials? IPNetShareX works fine, but I'd like to have a better understanding of what is going on.
[/URL]</STRONG>
When people talk about killing a process most of the time they mean quitting the process. However, killing really means sending a signal (think of an interrupt in hardware terms) to a process. Apart from signal #9 all other signals can be caught and the process can decide to do something interesting upon receipt. So, sending kill -HUP sends signal HUP to the process (I think HUP is #11, but I am not sure). This is a signal a process can catch an in the the case of natd it rescans interfaces and rereads its configuration. This should really happen automatically everytime a new ppp connection has been established - but because of a bug in the mach kernel it does not. This kill -HUP can be automated, since pppd (the guy that does the ppp connection) calls ip-up (if it exists) in /etc/ppp everytime a new connection is established.

If you want to do that on your box, create a file called /etc/ppp/ip-up. Then do a chmod +x /etc/ppp/ip-up and using your favourite editor put the following commands into that file (make sure you are root - and be careful :-):

#!/bin/sh -
N_P=`ps -uxc -U root | grep ' natd$' | awk '{ print $2 }'`
if [ "$N_P" != "" ];
then logger -i -t $0 "Sending SIGHUP to natd (PID $N_P)"
kill -HUP $N_P
fi

What it does: it finds the process id for natd, logs what it does and then sends a -HUP to natd.
unix is a trademark of at&t. at&t is a modem test command.

KaptainKaya
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2002, 11:50 AM

Originally posted by bm:
<STRONG>

Thanks for the help. I went up to 7 days without a hang or kernel panic just last week. Prior to installing the fix I would reboot everyday or so because the hangs are shorter (or don't even happen) if the machine has been re-started recently. After installing the fix the hangs disappeared completely so I decided to see how long it would go and 7 days was it.</STRONG>
I know what you mean! Although its been about 15 for me, and its still ticking!

Macindean
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 15, 2002, 09:44 PM

Originally posted by Angus_D:
<STRONG>

I have put the attached AppleSCCSerial.kext in my iDisk public folder (http://homepage.mac.com/fdobbie). Please test if this fixes it or not and get back to me so I can send feedback.</STRONG>
Just found your solution today. Tried it with my iMac and it seems to work perfectly now. Before I never could connect after sleep. Always had to restart. Also, took forever to connect after connecting/disconnecting just once. But everthing seems to be fine now. Have tried it several times after a sleep with now problems so far. Thanks Angus for cornering this aggravating problem! Now it's not so embarassing for my PC-loving relatives to watch me get connected!

Krypton
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2002, 02:32 PM

So who can I send these screen photos to?
You could try [email protected] as he recommended that if I got any kernel panics I could send him a pic. If he can't fix it he can share it with the Apple engineers.

rooky13
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2002, 06:13 AM

Can someone please email me the latest AppleSCCSerial.kext? I have tried to log on to Finlay's homepage to access his public folder to download it myself but everytime I just get to the iTools web page that claims he doesn't exist! Has anyone else had this problem?

burning_ice
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2002, 08:06 PM

tried it a few days ago and hmmhmmm is it good to be alble to connect without walking away for five minutes .

oh and rooky13 if you look on page 2 of this thread you will find another link to the kext

Pavao
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 19, 2002, 02:30 PM

My iBook has been up for 9 straight days. I use it almost 10 hours per day putting it to sleep and waking it up several times a day. Lots of logins and logouts, lots of connecting and disconnecting my USB Logitech mouse and FireWire CD-RW and TV. I connect to the net by modem more than 5 times a day. NOT A SINGLE HANG!!!! All connections are always immediate. This update is the best thing that happened to my iBook since I bought it!!

When do you think the official update will come?? It's taking a bit too long, don't you think?

explora_b
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 19, 2002, 04:24 PM

I'm on a DP 500 G4 and have tried the AppleSCCSerial.kext 1.2.2 and I'm still having problems with disconnecting - I'm using a Draytek miniVigor128 with there 1.61 software - anyone else had any experience with these...

My internal modem connects with no problems!

Seems most peoples problems have been solved by 1.2.2...
Why, is it always me that has these problems!!!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 19, 2002, 05:50 PM

Isn't an official Apple update long overdue? Does anyone have information on the progress? I imagine that first time computer users who have bought iMacs for their simplicity are very confused/unsatisfied if they're using modems. This bug effects every single Mac OS X dial up user. It's unconscionable that Apple continues to wait to fix such a major bug.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

explora_b
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2002, 03:17 AM

Originally posted by Big Mac:
<STRONG>Isn't an official Apple update long overdue? Does anyone have information on the progress? I imagine that first time computer users who have bought iMacs for their simplicity are very confused/unsatisfied if they're using modems. This bug effects every single Mac OS X dial up user. It's unconscionable that Apple continues to wait to fix such a major bug.</STRONG>
I agree but make sure you email Apple to make them aware of the problem - I have and hope that something will happen!!!

Angus_D  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2002, 04:03 PM

Originally posted by Big Mac:
<STRONG>Isn't an official Apple update long overdue? Does anyone have information on the progress? I imagine that first time computer users who have bought iMacs for their simplicity are very confused/unsatisfied if they're using modems. This bug effects every single Mac OS X dial up user. It's unconscionable that Apple continues to wait to fix such a major bug.</STRONG>
They have a fix, they are working on it. I would say more, but e-mails headed with
*** Apple Confidential, Do Not Forward ***
SECURITY: NON-DISCLOSURE USE ONLY
make me scared

Angus_D  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2002, 04:05 PM

If worst comes to worst, the fix will be in the next point release of OS X.

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Mar 20, 2002, 04:49 PM

<STRONG>They have a fix, they are working on it. I would say more, but e-mails headed with
*** Apple Confidential, Do Not Forward ***
SECURITY: NON-DISCLOSURE USE ONLY
make me scared </STRONG>
Were those sent to the darwin-dev list or you personally?
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

boots
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2002, 09:20 AM

Angus_D,

I've been using the the new extension for a while now, and have only had one problem. Last night I had 3 programs open in classic, Word X, Excell X, a couple of XWindows apps, and computational chemistry program all running. This is easily the most stressed my physical memory has ever been. Anyway, I actually had a short hang (20-30 sec) while all this was going on. I can live with that. Under every other situation, it has worked vey well.

Just thought I'd report back since I was one of the loudest complainer about the ppp hang. Thanks very much for helping to make my internet conection useful.

If Heaven has a dress code, I'm walkin to Hell in my Tony Lamas.

explora_b
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2002, 05:18 PM

<STRONG>If worst comes to worst, the fix will be in the next point release of OS X.</STRONG>
Do you think it will solve the issues on DP machines (like my sawtooth DP500) with the Alcatel DSL and ISDN TA???

Please say yes, I tried the new AppleSCCSerial.kext with my current miniVigor128 and had no luck (think it's mostly down to the drivers with the miniVigor!)

Douglas Clements
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 23, 2002, 06:45 PM

Trouble:

When I try the suggested fix (copied below), I get:

mkextcache: Too many kexts to fit in mkext

Sorry, I'm not Darwin-aware to fix or address this; can anyone help?

THANKS!

% cd /System/Library/Extensions/
% sudo tcsh
# mv AppleSCCSerial.kext ~
# mv ~/Desktop/AppleSCCSerial.kext .
# chown root:admin AppleSCCSerial.kext
# chown -R root:wheel AppleSCCSerial.kext/Contents
# kextload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleSCCSerial.kext
# mkextcache
# exit
Thanks,

Doug C.

explora_b
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 27, 2002, 03:26 AM

Originally posted by explora_b:
<STRONG>

Do you think it will solve the issues on DP machines (like my sawtooth DP500) with the Alcatel DSL and ISDN TA???

</STRONG>

It's all gone quite here - anyone got news on any possible fixes for DP owners?

Thanks

Reddog99
Mar 27, 2002, 04:48 AM

For whatever it's worth, my DP533 has now been up 14 days and I'm no longer getting hesitation to dial up. Before this kext, I couldn't go 1.4 days let alone 14. I'm happy

Pat

tinrib
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2002, 12:17 PM

Me too. Finlay, this was my only gripe with OS X and you fixed it. I think it's shit the way Apple have treated you, and I think they owe you a big fat cheque for fixing it. And not releasing the update yet? WTF are they thinking? every day this goes on a million people are cursing their macs.

I didn't actually expect it to work, but look at me now, 7 days and no reboot. It just didn't happen before.

explora_b
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 27, 2002, 03:51 PM

Originally posted by Reddog99:
<STRONG>For whatever it's worth, my DP533 has now been up 14 days and I'm no longer getting hesitation to dial up. Before this kext, I couldn't go 1.4 days let alone 14. I'm happy

Pat</STRONG>
What ISDN/DSL adapter are you using???

explora_b
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 27, 2002, 03:56 PM

Originally posted by tinrib:
<STRONG>Me too. Finlay, this was my only gripe with OS X and you fixed it. I think it's shit the way Apple have treated you, and I think they owe you a big fat cheque for fixing it. And not releasing the update yet? WTF are they thinking? every day this goes on a million people are cursing their macs.

I didn't actually expect it to work, but look at me now, 7 days and no reboot. It just didn't happen before.</STRONG>
Can I also ask you what ISDN/DSL adapter you are using?

Angus_D  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 27, 2002, 09:11 PM

Originally posted by tinrib:
<STRONG>Me too. Finlay, this was my only gripe with OS X and you fixed it.</STRONG>
*sigh* no, I didn't. I helped track it down, that's all.

boots
Professional Poster
Mar 27, 2002, 09:22 PM

<STRONG>

*sigh* no, I didn't. I helped track it down, that's all.</STRONG>
Don't sell yourself too short. You may not have written the fix, but you did find a pretty d*mned elusive bug. That takes initiative, brains, and more than a little intuition. For that, I am awfully thankfull. You were also the one who destributed the extention for testing.

Don't take all the hubbub too seriously. I hope you don't sour too much on apple...people like us still need you around.

If Heaven has a dress code, I'm walkin to Hell in my Tony Lamas.

nuckin futs
Forum Regular
Mar 27, 2002, 10:04 PM

<STRONG>

*sigh* no, I didn't. I helped track it down, that's all.</STRONG>
you helped a lot of folks here. i'm sure if you set up an account to collect donations you'll have a dual ghz w/ a cinema display in no time.
try not to get frustrated over the ADC fiasco. Your work is greatly appreciated.

yukon
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2002, 07:47 PM

OK, PROBLEM!
my post in another thread http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/ulti...&f=46&t=002014
this "Kernel_tas) just popped up. I installed the "new AppleSCCSerial.kext-hangfix.sit" for the PPP hang bug, which might be fixed, but suddenly I get the spinny cursor a lot more, and kernel_task is now in top, eating lots of processor cycles.

another thread, http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/ulti...&f=46&t=003664
someone got the error-
************An SCC Error Occurred 0x7C
leading me to bleieve it is the new kext

I'm going to fsck, then if it isn't gone, I'll think about reinstalling OS X again. I'm idly watching my cpu monitor jump up and down from 1 to 12, when it used to hover just around the first block (cpu monitor). switching apps results in the cpu being used totally.
I'll remove the extension too, so I can see if this thing poppes up anymore. thanks for your kelp "angus", but I think I need some more!
[img]broken link[/img]
This insanity brought to you by:
The French CBC, driving antenna users mad since 1937.

explora_b
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 30, 2002, 09:29 AM

I hope this may be of use to someone...

SpeedTouch beta testers wanted The SpeedTouch development team is looking for people willing to beta-test a new Mac OS X driver for the Alcatel SpeedTouch USB modem. They write: "If the there are users on your site with an Alcatel USB modem and OS X, they can volunteer for this program. The beta drivers will be emailed to them when we have a list of users willing to participate."

The email address is... [email protected]

Spirit_VW
Senior User
Apr 2, 2002, 01:36 AM

Well, like virtually everybody else, I too got the @%#$! dial-up hang after the system had been up for a while - installed the new kext, and so far so good. Mad, mad, mad, MAD props to Finlay and the Apple engineers for this - and Finlay, I really hope the whole ADC thing doesn't sour you on Apple - we need people like you on our side!
Kevin Buchanan
Fort Worthology

OverclockedHomoSapien
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 2, 2002, 04:16 AM

Had severe problems with PPP hang time.

Installed new .kext file.

No more hangs! Beautiful. Somebody rocks!

Only problem I have now is that when I connect, the first one or two connections disconnect after a minute or two, then I get a reliable connection. But this may be on the server side. A friend of mine on the same ISP gets the same problem in OS 9, so either Apple's PPP connect between OS X and OS 9 has some bad traits in common, or it's a server side issue.

Well it's awesome not to have the PPP hang, now I can leave my system on 24-7 and whenever it gets tired I let it sleep. This is the way Macs are meant to be used. I NEVER wait for OS X to boot up, because I never have to reboot it! How cool is that?!?!?

Dig it.
[FONT="book antiqua"]"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
- Thomas Jefferson, 1816.[/FONT]

P
Apr 2, 2002, 08:05 AM

Originally posted by Xeo:
<STRONG>The new iMacs use USB modems. The old ones didn't (I believe). That could be the reason, but I'm just guessing.</STRONG>
A pretty good guess... The bug is in the SCSerial kext - USB doesn't use that kext.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Apr 2, 2002, 08:49 AM

Anyone hear whether Apple has done the right thing with regard to Finlay yet? Or is he still dropped like yesterday's oatmeal?

Angus_D  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2002, 07:11 PM

Originally posted by Mithras:
<STRONG>Anyone hear whether Apple has done the right thing with regard to Finlay yet? Or is he still dropped like yesterday's oatmeal?</STRONG>
The latter, in fact I was trampled on a little heavier towards the end of last week. I would explain but I'd rather clear things up first.

Fransemil
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 3, 2002, 02:56 AM

Originally posted by ARENA:
<STRONG>

I put it in the Extensions folder and rebooted, but when i try to connect via the System Menu or the Internet Connect app, nothing happens as if i'd never clicked 'connect'.

Any idea of what might be happening with it?</STRONG>
Well, the same thing that happened to me. This message showed up in the Internet Connection log: unrecognized option '/dev/cu.modem'

Doesn't sound cool at all...

I'm working on a solution. Maybe reinstall OSX?

/F

benh57
Senior User
Apr 3, 2002, 08:41 PM

Thought you guys would be interested in this.

Subject: Re: How long for submitted bugs to show up...?
Sender: [email protected]
List-Archive: &lt;http://www.lists.apple.com/archives/darwin-development/&gt;
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 09:49:15 -0800

Generally how long does it take for a bug, submitted against Darwin, to
show up on the Darwin bug website?

50 days and counting.

Nice response. Okay, we admit it. The bug tracking site hasn't been updated in a while. Okay, maybe almost two months now. That's a long time.

It all began when the bug tracking site went down for some obscure reason. We've realized for quite some time that people want the ability to submit their own bugs, and be able to update existing bugs. So instead of simply putting the system back on line, we decided to see what we could do about addressing the larger need for the developer community.

We're working on a bug tracking system that will allow developers full access for all of Apple's open source projects. This means the ability to view, create, and update bugs. We were hoping to have it ready by now, and simply say "here it is". Instead it's taking a bit longer than we had planned.

Just wanted to let you know that we're not ignoring this. Please, no flames like "it doesn't take that long to put up a bug tracking system". We know that, and we hope that you'll be pleased with the end result. Just a bit more patience please.

Ron Dumont
Program manager for open source at Apple
Dual 800 - GF3 - 1.5GB

Angus_D  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 4, 2002, 04:01 PM

Originally posted by Fransemil:
<STRONG>Well, the same thing that happened to me. This message showed up in the Internet Connection log: unrecognized option '/dev/cu.modem'</STRONG>
You probably didn't delete your Extensions.mkext. Delete that, and sudo kextload the extension.

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2002, 07:53 AM

OK here's a story -

I don't use dial-up so I never noticed the famous PPP bug, however I do use IrDA on my Pismo - Occasionally when using it the system would hang.

I tried using the New (1.2.2) kExt and way-hey no - more hangs.

All was sweet for a few weeks, until I installed the Bluetooth tech preview. Suddenly my IrDA port and internal modem were unavailable to the entire OS.

I sent feedback to Apple (assuming that this was a Bluetooth bug) and we discovered that the problem was the new kExt.

Upon removing it and replacing it with the original (always keep the original!) everything worked again.

Has anyone else used the BT preview and this 'unoffical' kExt?

michael london
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2002, 11:44 AM

<STRONG>

Edit: Apple has screwed up my iTools account, I have contacted various addresses but have received no feedback. I will continue to pester them, in the meantime please see below, someone posted a mirror. PLEASE DO NOT E-MAIL ME ASKING FOR IT.

[ 03-18-2002: Message edited by: Angus_D ]

[ 03-18-2002: Message edited by: Angus_D ]</STRONG>
I have tried to move the sccserial ext., but I keep getting a response that I can't because it is owned by root; when I try to move in the new sccserial etx, i'm told the ext. folder cannot be modified. I do have root enabled. Don't know what to try next!!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules