Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Would you buy an iBook without Applecare?

Would you buy an iBook without Applecare?
Feathers
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 16, 2003, 08:28 PM

Based on the number of problems reported in these fora, would you buy an iBook without Applecare and what the hell are we paying for when we buy the device in the first case?

Sage
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2003, 08:47 PM

Um, I bought mine without Applecare, and I don't think I'll be needing it (I'm paranoid about keeping it out of harm's way and in good shape).

x user
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2003, 08:47 PM

Originally posted by Feathers:
Based on the number of problems reported in these fora, would you buy an iBook without Applecare and what the hell are we paying for when we buy the device in the first case?
YES, buy the computer now. Then if it has been trouble-free for 11 months, screw applecare. If you've had many warrenty-related problems in 11 months, buy applecare at that time.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 16, 2003, 09:51 PM

X user's advice is solid. I've never purchased AppleCare, and never needed it.

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2003, 10:08 PM

i bought it when I bought a return from CompUSA. It's been a solid machine so far, only needing a warranty replacement battery.

malemutekid
Apr 17, 2003, 02:27 AM

I asked the same question awhile back, I everybody that responded said yes, it is worth it. So, I am saving to buy it at the end of my first year.
Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2003, 04:44 AM

I have AppleCare used it once. To replace the keyboard, which was kinda my fault ...
we don't have time to stop for gas

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 17, 2003, 08:36 AM

Originally posted by chabig:
X user's advice is solid. I've never purchased AppleCare, and never needed it.
Ditto. I'm not knocking Applecare, but it is hardly a necessity.

bleee
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 17, 2003, 09:08 AM

Well basically your paying for piece of mind I mean it's the same thing with home owners insurance, if you feel comfortable taking the risk than don't buy it. But remember things do break as a result of ware and tare i.e. keys popping off keyboards, batteries dying, hinge creaking, chargers sparking etc� I bought mine because laptops aren�t like desktops where if a component like a mouse (track pad) dies you can just goto the store and purchase a replacement for $20.

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 17, 2003, 10:45 AM

Based on the number of problems reported in these fora, would you buy an iBook without Applecare?
Never again! Never again will I buy an iBook (or PowerBook) without AppleCare. I could have bought AppleCare for $250. Because I didn't, I had to pay $300 to repair a broken backlight cable. Thank goodness the price difference was small in my case.

and what the hell are we paying for when we buy the device in the first case?
Who the hell knows? In reality, we pay for a great piece of hardware with a great OS and have to accept possible flaws after the 1-year warranty expires. IMO, everything I buy should come at least with a 3-year warranty. But having a separate service package lowers the initial sticker price for the vast majority of buyers, who don't want to pay for peace of mind. Unfortunately, that's the way the consumer retail world works.

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

xtal
Senior User
Apr 17, 2003, 12:12 PM

I wouldn't consider buying a notebook without Applecare, mainly because it isn't a 'fix it yourself' kind of machine. Also, with the ease of portability, this machine will be taking more knocks than the machine that sits on your desk day in day out.

It's worth it, but the best part is you don't have to buy it at the outset. You can pick it up within 12 months of initial purchase, and it still extends your warranty to three years from purchase date. This gives you a chance to absorb the cost at a later date.

To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2003, 12:54 PM

Originally posted by xtal:
I wouldn't consider buying a notebook without Applecare, mainly because it isn't a 'fix it yourself' kind of machine. Also, with the ease of portability, this machine will be taking more knocks than the machine that sits on your desk day in day out.

It's worth it, but the best part is you don't have to buy it at the outset. You can pick it up within 12 months of initial purchase, and it still extends your warranty to three years from purchase date. This gives you a chance to absorb the cost at a later date.
It extends your warranty two additional years, not three years from the date of purchase of AppleCare.

Having said that, I would never buy a notebook without AppleCare. Mine is a little over a year old, and Apple replaced the DVD drive on it. I wanted to clean up some stuff, so I wiped the drive, and the DVD wouldn't read the Jaguar install discs, so it got replaced!
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

gator
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 17, 2003, 01:17 PM

If you're planning to keep it for more than a year, it's probably a good idea just in case something strange happens.

If you plan on doing perpetual upgrades to the newer model every 6 months or so, then I don't see a point.
12" PB 1 GHz Combo, 60GB, 512MB, AE
40GB iPod

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2003, 07:40 PM

Based on the number of problems reported in these fora, would you buy an iBook without Applecare
No way.

I never had any problems with Apple Laptops until the newest incarnations, but I have in the last 2 years, bought a dual USB iBook and Ti Powerbook... both have needed to have serious faults fixed by Apple.

They were bought to replace my clamshell 466SE iBook. However it has outlived them both! It is indestructable... Goes with me everywhere and never misses a beat.

Mind you, I also wouldn't buy a dektop without Appleare at the mo... I have had 2 Powermacs repaired too....

QC anyone?

Peace,

Marc

xtal
Senior User
Apr 18, 2003, 02:38 PM

Originally posted by KarlG:
It extends your warranty two additional years, not three years from the date of purchase of AppleCare.
I meant the date of hardware purchase. Sorry if I was being unclear.

To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.

Sosa
Senior User
Apr 18, 2003, 02:39 PM

People seem to be relying on AppleCare not just to fix warranty break downs but user damage also. I do not believe this extended warranty will cover this.

I had my iBook for 8 months now and have had it sent back to Apple for repairs twice. I think I will consider purchasing AppleCare at my 11 month, but first I would read the fine print to see exactly what it covers. Otherwise, it could be a nasty surprise and waste of money.
( Last edited by Sosa; Apr 18, 2003 at 03:10 PM. )
2011 iMac 2.7 i5, 16gb RAM, 1TB HD
Previous Macs: Apple IIc+, iMac 350 G3, iBook 700 G3, G4 Powerbooks 12" 1ghz & 15" 1.67ghz
Join Team MacNN.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 18, 2003, 03:37 PM

I'm on my second iBook. I sold the first one when it was 11 months old. For what it would have cost to purchase AppleCare, I added the proceeds from the sale and bought a newer model iBook.

And I didn't cheat the buyer either. The iBook was in perfect condition.

Chris

MacMaui
Apr 18, 2003, 09:00 PM

Originally posted by chabig:
I'm on my second iBook. I sold the first one when it was 11 months old. For what it would have cost to purchase AppleCare, I added the proceeds from the sale and bought a newer model iBook.

And I didn't cheat the buyer either. The iBook was in perfect condition.

Chris
Very clever!

x user
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2003, 11:59 PM

A very good point.

Forum Links
Forum Rules