Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Shipped or not shipped, that is the question!

Shipped or not shipped, that is the question!
Feathers
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 19, 2004, 01:14 PM

I don't know which is the most appropriate category for this, so I'm posting here.

I've never bought direct from the Applestore before preferring to argue face-to-face with those who might try to rip me off. Anyway, Applestore says that the ordering procedure is:

Place order.

Receive Order acknowledgement (Subject to acceptance)

Receive Order Confirmation (Order Accepted)

Order Remains "Open" until shipped.

Order ships and invoice sent (credit card debited)

Shipped order can be tracked online until delivery.

Now, I ordered 2.0/DP G5 over a month ago. Received order acknowledgement. Never received order confirmation but a phonecall confirmed order was processed (they checked my credit card but didn't charge anything).

I receive a "revised shipping date" e-mail and according to "order status" item duly ships on said date, but I don't receive any notification or invoice. Now here's where it gets interesting (if you haven't got bored by now).

Check TNT to track item and get a "no such item exists" message.
Ring TNT who say that their records may not have updated yet, fair enough!
A week goes by and the situation remains the same, nothing on TNT and Applestore records "item shipped" and nothing else.

Ring Apple and conversation goes more or less as follows:

Me: Where's my stuff?

Apple: It shipped Monday.

Me: TNT says it doesn't exist.

Apple: TNT may not have it yet.

Me: So where is it?

Apple: Hold on a second...it's in transit!

Me: So you guys don't have it anymore?

Apple: Er...yes...er....no!

Me: But if you don't have it and TNT doesn't have it, who does?

Apple: It may have gone with a 3rd party...yes...it will ship on Friday. ETA Monday.

Me: But you said it shipped last Monday.

Apple: It's in transit.

Me: With whom? Do you have a tracking number from them?

Apple: (Silence)

Me: But you can't charge my credit card until it ships.

Apple: We haven't.

Me: So it hasn't shipped?

Apple: It's in transit.

At this point, I gave up. No tracking data from Apple and a waybill number that TNT says is invalid.

Given that through the whole sequence of events nothing seems to have been processed as it should, I just wonder what is going on and whether my order even exists at all?

I'd just like to know other people's experiences here and what e-mails they received at each stage of the process and whether the online tracking should actually work. I just don't want to find in another weeks time (nearly two months from order) that my order was never actually processed at all!!!!

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2004, 01:46 PM

http://www.apecode.com/appletrack/

Try this, enter the first 10 digits of your Apple tracking # starting with 80xxxxxxxx
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

Feathers  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 19, 2004, 02:17 PM

Finally actual information, thanks a million.

Makes me wonder how come I couldn't get the info from Apple, plus the fact that I now know that they were clearly lying to me!

Feathers  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2004, 11:52 AM

Although I now know where my PowerMac is, thanks to D'Espice, the journey that my machine is taking is rather odd.

Although it only had to travel about 250 miles from Apple in Cork, since last Monday it has visited Luxembourg, returned to Cork (!) and is now passing through the Netherlands.

I can only surmise that this is something to do with taxation in Ireland where, basically, companies pay no tax on revenues generated from exports. So even when selling within the Emerald Isle, the item is "exported". I don't doubt that the final invoice will be generated in some country other than Ireland. Can't help wondering if this is entirely legal?

When all is said and done, my Mac may be more well-travelled than I am!

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 22, 2004, 12:08 PM

I'm happy to hear that you found resolution feathers.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2004, 12:08 PM

Maybe your PowerMac is on holiday?

Jens Peter
Senior User
Nov 22, 2004, 02:48 PM

I had a similar experience, when ordering an iPhoto Book.

After 10 working days the website still said the book was being printed, so I called Apple and asked if there was a problem. The supporter said that they were a little behind schedule, but that there wasn't any problems with my order. 2 or 3 days later, I receive a email from Apple, saying my book has been shipped. I checked the webpage, and is still claimed my book was being printed. So I emailed Apple, and 2 days later I got a reply, saying my book could not be printed, due to some strange error.
I was a bit surprised, because I was just told that it had been shipped. Apple emailed and apologized, and send me some application that should fix my iPhoto.
The app didn't work, and after 3 weeks of emailing I just assembled a new book, and made a new order. The same pictures, same layout as the first book, but this I received after a week....

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Nov 23, 2004, 11:24 AM

to ship, or not to ship - that is the question.

good luck getting your gear

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Feathers  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 25, 2004, 01:43 PM

My PowerMac arrived today. I'm sure for those who already have a similar (or better) machine, they are quite blas� by this stage but for me, and I also received the Production Suite, there are no words other than "F*cking breathtaking". Playing around with the Hi-Def demos in FCP HD, I haven't been this excited in years! I'm not kidding. And Motion..."Oh..my...God!" Right now, I am the happiest penguin (!) alive. I literally just had to tell somebody!!!! Was it worth the wait? Every damn minute! There is no doubt about the pay-off of buying Apple, even opening the box is a pleasure...and there's a strangely pleasant smell too.

Forum Links
Forum Rules