Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Yamaha 4416 Burner

Yamaha 4416 Burner
Feathers
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 19, 2000, 12:58 PM

Helping a friend:

Toaster won't mount at all, any attempt to probe the device results in a crash...

OS8.6 Toast3.56 Adaptec 2940 UW

Anybody have quirky experience with Yamahas and Adaptecs?

Cipher13
Aug 19, 2000, 06:17 PM

What kind of computer is it?
I had problems with that exact setup on my 5500.
I then upgraded to 9, and that didn't help .
First of all, get Toast Deluxe 4. I use that with OS 9.04 and an Adaptec 2906 with a Yamaha 8424, and its an awesome setup - never any problems.
The latest version of Toast 3 is 3.57 I believe, so you may also want to try that.
What model is it? The Yamaha CRW4416E or the Yamaha CRW4416S?
The S needs a firmware update, 1.0f. I couldn't find that... try on Adaptecs site.
The E didn't get Toast compatibility to version 4... The E got it in 3.56, which was severely overhauled in 4.
It has been known that incompatible versions of Toast were shipped with burners... happened to me. Yamaha seem to do that a fair bit .
Let us know how it goes...

Cipher13

mike one
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 25, 2000, 09:52 AM

I've had a yamaha 4x4x16 club mac external burner for over about 1.5 years in a Blue G3 with adaptec scsi card, i forget the model number, it is one up from the low end card it cost $99.

i believe that the version of toast that shipped with the burner was 3.5.7, or at least i know i upgraded to that at one point.
toast 3.5x and 4 have worked flawlessly with it.

you might want to fool with you scsi settings. try switching around the configurations in the powerdomain control panel.
start the computer up after powering on the cd burner and see if the drive is visible through the apple system profiler. if the drive is not visible then you may want to fool around some more with scsi settings.
hope this helps.

michael

Evangellydonut
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2000, 12:35 PM

Also, there has been a firmware release for the Yamaha burners 'bout a month or so ago, take a look at it...
G4/450, T-bird 1.05GHz, iBook 500, iBook 233...4 different machines, 4 different OSes...(9, 2k, X.1, YDL2.2 respectively) PiA to maintain...

Forum Links
Forum Rules