Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > Still Dreaming of Firewire in RevA-D

Still Dreaming of Firewire in RevA-D
Feathers
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 6, 2000, 05:14 PM

Now that nobody is manufacturing devices for the Mezz, has everybody (apart from Ca$h) abandoned the various Mezz-Slot fantasies that floated around twelve months ago? Mine is still firewire in a RevB. Given this PCI card from Ratoc, anybody thinking or drooling?
http://www.ratocsystems.com/english/...s/pcifu1p.html

Ca$h68
Banned
Jun 6, 2000, 07:34 PM

its probably possible. If I were you, I'd go nab a mezzanine connector somewhere, a PCI slot, some ribbon cable, and ask someone to solder it together. It'd be prolly under fifty bucks, and you could always order teh card, see if it works, then if it doesnt, send t back. HEhehe. Its worth a shot!

Remember: Mezzanine IS a PCI slot, only screwed up.

Ca$h

marklyn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2000, 03:38 PM

I've been thinking about the same thing and this might work.
Add the scsi card in the mezz slot. http://www.formac.com/usa/html/produ...er/iprotv.html
Then add the Orangemicro SCSI to firewire external device. http://WWW.ORANGEMICRO.COM/oconverter.html
My only question about it is that the orangemicro box seems to be about adding a scsi option to a computer with firewire. I don't know if you can just turn the thing around and go firewire in to a computer's scsi port. It means I'd have to swap out my GameWizard but might be worth it for firewire.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2000, 03:53 PM

Cash,

Each day you don't post your pics of your Franken'iMac I feel less and less encouraged of making this mezzanine connector. Please send macro shots of the Voodoo2 card!

Ca$h68
Banned
Jun 23, 2000, 09:19 PM

My film isnt done yet, and Im pretty low on dough right now. Tuition costs, girls, yadda yadda yadda, so once I get my film developed Ill try to get them scanned at a friends house ASAP..

Ca$h

Feathers  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 30, 2000, 09:02 PM

Originally posted by marklyn:
I've been thinking about the same thing and this might work.

Then add the Orangemicro SCSI to firewire external device. http://WWW.ORANGEMICRO.COM/oconverter.html
My only question about it is that the orangemicro box seems to be about adding a scsi option to a computer with firewire. I don't know if you can just turn the thing around and go firewire in to a computer's scsi port. It means I'd have to swap out my GameWizard but might be worth it for firewire.
That's an interesting idea especially 'cos I already have the iProRaid warming my mezz... Hmmmmmm!!!!

The Wolfe
Jul 1, 2000, 03:22 AM

Ahhhh... dreaming of a blazing iMac...

personally, I'd love to see a USB 2.0 card for the Rev A-B iMac's - but I'm wierd...

...or how about a geoport connector, or a geekport�...

I'm sure Jean-Louis Gassae would agree.

------------------
-Eliott Wolfe
Winnetka, Calif

Forum Links
Forum Rules