Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Desktop Pictures

Desktop Pictures
zeebe
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 30, 2001, 12:26 PM

I was wondering if there is a way to drop a folder of desktop pictures so OS X rotates desktop picts like OS 9.1 does?
Thanks in advance

Support a charity as you search the Internet - Use GoodSearch - I support Sacred Heart School.

macanada
Mar 30, 2001, 01:15 PM

Yeah, I have been wondering the same thing myself, I love rotating my desktop pictures. I bore easily and hope that OS X didn't take that feature away from OS 9.

My best suggestion would be to look for a file that holds the information of your current background - and if possible, use the ARRAY to rotate it? I don't know. Just a wild guess, but logical to me.

Chad Taylor
Chad Taylor

bleen
Senior User
Mar 30, 2001, 02:22 PM

I have the same problem, I reported it to Apple. I think everyone else who wants the feature should do the same (The more reports the more of a chance Apple will do it)

I also requested... Since OS X doesn't crash, and that will make it a rare occasion that people are going to restart, so I requested the feature to have a (custamizable) timer built into it so you can set it for like every 30 Minutes or every 2 hours that it will automatically change the desktop picture. I think I remember someome saying there is an Application out there that will do this, but I would prefer if Apple would build it into the system. If you think that it would be a cool feature to add to the OS report it to Apple too, so the more request the more of a chance that Apple will add it.

[email protected]
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 2, 2001, 05:11 AM

While we're at it, I have always wanted a moving desktop picture, like a video or animated water or some looping something. (Ambiguous enough?) Now with all this beefy hardware we should be able to do that right?

*note: i am only half sarcastic here. and i sympathize with the want for rotating desktop pictures. in fact i can actually submit something useful here:
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...10318193505914

------------------
-�g��w��m�
emoticons are evil.
-�g��w��m�
emoticons are evil.

Agent69
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2001, 06:58 AM

I supposed that you could add a shell script that switches out the background for you at start up.

Agent69
Agent69

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Apr 2, 2001, 09:32 AM

There is a built-in timer that's very configurable - cron...

The desktop picture is stored in the finder's .plist preferences file...

Now - if someone can only work out how to tell the Finder to re-load it's preferences we'd be laughing!

MickS
Senior User
Apr 2, 2001, 10:04 AM

While we are talking about desktop pictures. Has anyone found a way to get different desktop pictures on different monitors. I used to use this under MacOS 9, where you could select a different picture for each monitor.

Under MacOS X you only seem to be able to select a single image :-(

Mactoid
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 2, 2001, 11:17 AM

Originally posted by Gee4orce:
Now - if someone can only work out how to tell the Finder to re-load it's preferences we'd be laughing!
kill -9

We hope your rules and wisdom choke you / Now we are one in everlasting peace
-- Radiohead, Exit Music (for a film)

Ernie
Apr 2, 2001, 11:49 AM

Since you don't really need to restart Mac OS X that often, it would be nice if the desktop picture could be set to change randomly when you log in.

2�

zeebe  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 2, 2001, 11:56 PM

Well, I went to the feedback section of Apple's website and gave them all of the ideas that we have given here. I hope you all do the same as the more suggestions, hopefully the more likely it will be put in. I was really surprised too that they wouldn't let me put two different pictures on my two monitors. Go and request away!!!

Support a charity as you search the Internet - Use GoodSearch - I support Sacred Heart School.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Apr 3, 2001, 06:41 AM

Aside: if you want to use those wonderful screensaver pictures as your desktop, do this:

1) go to /System/Library/ScreenSavers/
2) right click (oops - control-click for one-buttoners) on the .saver of your choice (eg Beach.saver)
3) select 'Show Package Contents' - a new Finder window appears
4) now navigate to Resources/Images (or something like that)
5) copy the images to somewhere more accessible, and select then in the Finder desktop picture window.

BlaKaT
Apr 3, 2001, 09:17 PM

Originally posted by MickS:
While we are talking about desktop pictures. Has anyone found a way to get different desktop pictures on different monitors. I used to use this under MacOS 9, where you could select a different picture for each monitor.

Under MacOS X you only seem to be able to select a single image :-(
I have exactly the same "complaint" it's a little one but it bugs me, having the same image repeated looks stupid and it's a huge step backwards. I have already submitted a comment to that effect to MAC OS X feedback.

hey, what images do you use for your dual monitors? when you can of course.

[This message has been edited by BlaKaT (edited 04-03-2001).]

Richard Clark
Senior User
Apr 12, 2001, 03:05 PM

It would be nice to see the the option for random pictures. The interface to the finder setting needs to be enhanced, cleaned up and give more options.

As one post on here mentioned - APPLE needs to get feedback on this!
"Tough Little Ship" - Riker
"LITTLE?" - Worf after having the Defiant salvaged by the Enterprise (First Contact)

tie
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2001, 03:44 PM

Is there a logout items folder in OS X?

It is not difficult to write a program which selects the desktop picture from all the images in a folder (Do it in perl, taking as argument the folder. Run ls, pull out files ending in .jpg or .tiff. Then run com.apple.finder.plist through a search and replace.)

The only problem is I don't think the Finder would look at the changed settings until you relaunched it. So putting the script in the startup items folder wouldn't work. I don't know how cron works.
The 4 o'clock train will be a bus.
It will depart at 20 minutes to 5.

mthole
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2001, 07:18 PM

I found this tidbit that could help you all out:
http://www.devworld.apple.com/techpu....html#CJBBAIAB

Should help out.

Forum Links
Forum Rules