Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac won't shut-down or restart - hangs

iMac won't shut-down or restart - hangs
Feathers
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 29, 2000, 01:50 AM

Just in case anybody's having the above mentioned problem with MacOS 9.0.4, I've made a mad discovery (or maybe everybody already knew): Check the version of carbonlib you're running, if it's 1.0.4, replace it with an EARLIER version 1.0 or 1.0.1 and the problem goes away. Unfortunately Napster requires 1.0.4. Weird or what!!!

The 9.0.4 installer tome contains version 1.0 so I've no idea where the 1.0.4 version came from!!!!

Further information on this would be interesting...check your system folder AND what was originally in the tome, they may be different! Thanks.

Stay Frosty.

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Nov 29, 2000, 03:48 AM

CarbonLib 1.0.4 is installed by AppleWorks 6.0.3, StuffIt Expander 6.0, or probably several other carbon apps. (Is Napster carbonized?)

Strange. I think a lot of people run 9.0.4 with CarbonLib 1.0.4 (including me) with no problem. You must have something that conflicts with it.

yoyo52
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2000, 12:53 AM

I have the CarbonLib 1.04 with OS 9.04 too, on a Rev A as well as on a PB and a G4 and a G3--no problem with any of them. There's got to be something else going on with your iMac. I think you said somewhere else that you've done a clean reinstall of the system, but if there's no conflicts that you can figure out maybe it's time to do another install?

[This message has been edited by yoyo52 (edited 11-29-2000).]
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

Forum Links
Forum Rules