Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac Modem

iMac Modem
Feathers
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 15, 2000, 07:11 PM

I'd always assumed my dial up speed was due to poor line quality (a crappy 28800) until my Bro dialed in on the same line at 48000. I then tried all the Modem scripts ( via a URL from a reply Wlonh gave to somebody else awhile back). Tried forcing a connection at a higher rate, 30666, but it would connect and then drop after a few minutes. I've always known that external modems CAN perform better than the iMac internal one, so here's the question:

Can somebody recommend a V90 USB modem and do they know which chipset the iMac modem uses, Rockwell or whoever( Y'know this, connect to your ISP with the same type modem sheeet!!!)

Bakerbot
Jul 17, 2000, 04:15 PM

Do yourself a small favor and go to www.rockstar.com and download FreePPP. Run the installer and use the generic modem init string. I consistenly connect at 48000 to 50667 and have stable connections that last for days.
As the name implies, it's free

Forum Links
Forum Rules