Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > USB iMac Keyboard Sucks

USB iMac Keyboard Sucks
Feathers
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 19, 2000, 10:51 PM

Ok, I know this sounds like a post from Anthony(KG), Ca$h or Kozmik but...

The right-hand usb socket on my keyboard no longer works. It just stopped today. Any ideas? Don't just say buy another one! Is this a common problem? (No, I couldn't be bothered doing a search, this'll be so much more fun)

RockLord
Apr 20, 2000, 01:09 PM

Oh, good! Here I thought this topic was going to be another "bash the iMac keyboard" thread. But I don't mean to be a smarta**!

Actually I have never heard of this problem before. Have you overused the connection? Worn or dirty connectors, perhaps? Those little connectors can get quite dirty, but avoid touching them with your fingers or blowing on them. This just introduces finger oils and moisture that collect more crap. Clean with alcohol on a q-tip (power off, of course!)

Other than that, I don't know. Ideas anyone??

[This message has been edited by RockLord (edited 04-20-2000).]

Ca$h68
Banned
Apr 20, 2000, 03:09 PM

Open it up, see if you can switch the connectors. Thats what I'd do.

Ca$h

Feathers  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 20, 2000, 06:51 PM

Actually, from the day I got the machine and plugged in the mouse, I had almost no occasion to EVER plug or unplug from that(the right-hand) socket.

Of course, according to Murphy's Law, my warranty expired approximately two weeks ago, and now the trouble starts. What's next? My CD-ROM? I've heard there's trouble brewing there. There's the wobbly monitor thing, and the iSub and the...

Where's Anthony? Maybe I should buy a PC?

wlonh
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2000, 06:55 PM

i hear those FishPC's are really nice

Feathers  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 21, 2000, 10:21 PM

Further info:

Something keeps trashing the (new)mouse overdrive extension (1.3), it ceases showing up with it's Extension icon, just a blank document icon and Conflict Catcher doesn't recognise it as an extension anymore! I reload it and it'll work fine until the mouse hangs and I have to restart and use the built-in driver(which doesn't recognise the 2nd button). Oh BTW, it also happens with the hockey-puck. The only thing I installed recently was TTPro 2.5.1. Any ideas?

Kato
Apr 24, 2000, 12:18 PM

My iMac's keyboard did it, and the only thing I could do to fix it was take it apart and do a complete reconstruction.

Anyway, 3 days after it started working again, I went out to buy a cheap full-sized keyboard and can now touch type at a reasonable speed.

Kato

Forum Links
Forum Rules