Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Is OS9 A Bad Thing For A+B iMacs?

Is OS9 A Bad Thing For A+B iMacs?
Feathers
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 22, 2000, 07:13 PM

I'm happily still running 8.6 on my revB. From the number of problem posts it seems that OS9 may not be a good thing for earlier iMacs.

a) Is it worth upgrading?

b) What (if any) are the confirmed OS9/A+B iMac incompatibilities

iMacMan
Mar 22, 2000, 08:42 PM

i have a rev b imac and i have os 9. there are no iMac/OS 9 incompatibilites at all. just make sure you update any 3rd party software. if you're tight on money, just wait for OS X

Waldo
Mar 23, 2000, 11:21 PM

I have a Rev. A. I upgraded to 9 along time ago. I haven't had any problems. As far as the amount of problems you see posted, go to an old forum with 8.6, you'll still see a lot of the same problems.
Willie

yoyo52
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2000, 05:02 PM

No problems with OS 9 running on Rev A. Just be sure you update your software so it doesn't conflict with the system--especially ATM. Make sure it's 4.5.2 or you're bound to crash.
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

bamadhaj
Mar 25, 2000, 03:06 AM

well i'm using 8.5 on rev B .

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 25, 2000, 07:12 PM

I'm using MacOS 9 on my iMac Rev. A too. One think I would like to ask is what is the max. RAM I can put in the Rev A iMac, I have 96Mb RAM now, but it is not enough while I'm making web site with PhotoShop 5.5, Netscape 4.72, GoLive 4.01, and also ImageReady 2.0 running at the same time.

------------------
"With technology in all corners, learning to unplug can be particularly difficult."

Feathers  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 26, 2000, 08:21 PM

Er Ken, although this is still a hotly debated subject and aside from being galactically Off-Topic it now appears that the answer is 512Megs in two SO-Dimms, one of which must be of the Low-Profile (LP) type. Installing the low-profile DIMM yourself (on the underneath of the processor daughter-card) will violate your warranty. Although I don't think even any RevB's can still be in warranty now. Check out: www.newerram.com

The theory is that all 1st gen A-D CAN accept and more crucially ADDRESS the full 512Megs although Apple have never confirmed this. Their answer is that SO-DIMMS of these capacities were unavailable when those iMacs were developed. (I wonder what's stopping them testing one now?)

fletch521
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 26, 2000, 09:10 PM

"I wonder what's stopping them testing one now?"

It is a much better investment in their time to just sell you a new one.

Fletch
MacBook Air, 2.13GHz, 128GB solid-state drive
24-inch Apple LED Cinema Display
iPhone 4

Feathers  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 26, 2000, 09:18 PM

Thanks Fletch for that depressingly true observation!

smiz93
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 27, 2000, 09:39 AM

I have been running OS 9 on my Rev A since it was released and haven't run into any major problems. You definitely want to update your 3rd party software, but that is about the only problem. One word of caution; If you are using any Saitek devices DON'T upgrade. I found out after I purchased a new Cyborg 2000 that several of Saitek's sticks won't work with OS 9 because it lacks a game sprocket. I have tried everything I can think of, but I have still be unable to get it to work. Good Luck!!

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 27, 2000, 06:10 PM

Thanks Feathers for recommanding the NewerRam web site for me and sorry for off-topic.

------------------
"With technology in all corners, learning to unplug can be particularly difficult."

Forum Links
Forum Rules