Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Is The iMaxPower Worth It?

Is The iMaxPower Worth It?
Feathers
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 23, 2000, 07:57 PM

Does anybody have the NeverTech upgrade and if so, is it worth it?

(Eh moderators, don't move this to "Third Party" or "Peripherals" or some such, the iMaxPower is unique to the iMac (Like the iProRaid which you did move!))

Alpha Centauri
Mar 24, 2000, 12:03 AM

I put the IMAXpower in my Rev B a week ago and it really makes the games I play move much faster. The only reason I went for the upgrade instead of a new Imac was because the wife wont let me buy a new one and what she doesn't know won't hurt her. Besides I already put the voodoo 2 card and a 10 gig hard drive in it.
The 1st CPU card I got from Newer Tech wouldn"t even open the computer and the second one clocked in at 266 instead of 466 but the third one is working fine. Poor quality control.

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2000, 02:40 AM

Remember, the iMAXpower is, what, $600? if you sell your iMac and add the $600 you would have spent on the iMAXpower, you could get a new 350mHz iMac, or a new/refurb iMacDV (depending on what you get for yours based on config. and any extras you put in).. a standard iMac333 could net you $6-700, so consider getting DVD, Rage128, extra RAM, speed, and HD (plus airport compatibility) for what you would have spent on JUST a processor upgrade.

iMan_ca
Mar 24, 2000, 04:41 AM

No

Feathers  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 24, 2000, 02:51 PM

Thanks for the replies, guys. Now my situation is an overclocked (300) RevB with 256M Ram and 40 gig Maxtor 7200rpm AND iProRaidTV SCSI. I am NOT planning to sell this machine and loose SCSI (I have a film scanner which I don't forsee a Firewire version of in the near future).

So really I'll rephrase the question - Do you think the NOTICEABLE increase in speed is worth $600?

P.S. iMan-ca I/we were always taught to support our answers with relevant reference and quotation, sorry D+, must do better

duel
Mar 24, 2000, 10:03 PM

If you send your original iMac cpu to Newer, then they will give you a $200 rebate so the price for the upgrade can be $400.

Forum Links
Forum Rules