Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > How do you change Disk Icons in X???

How do you change Disk Icons in X???
zorn
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 23, 2001, 02:07 AM

I have 4k78 and I am doing to usual copy paste, thing. I was told only "root" could do it. Then i followed the instructions on macosx.org to enable "root" tried to no avail.

When I boot into 9.1 I see the new icons, but not in X ... errr!

Little Help?

- mike

------------------
$post_count++;
~ Mike
--
Personal Site: MikeZornek.com
Other Interests: WebDevWiki.com

Polyphony
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 23, 2001, 01:27 PM

Same problem here! It's so annoying! You paste the icon, and nothing happens, but when you boot into 9.1 it's there. You HAVE to be able to change your disk icons. I don't want three metal boxes sitting on my desktop, even if they are cool looking.

On another note, Why can I only have ONE info window open at a time. When I select another item, it loads up the new info in the info window that I already have open. SAME goes for view options. It's one thing to try and reduce clutter, but how many people out there would like to have two info windows open at once to, perhaps, Copy and paste an icon!?!?!? oh but WAIT I FORGOT... we can't do that.

<excuse my bitterness>

Bartimus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 23, 2001, 03:04 PM

This is a known and acknowledged by Apple bug.

Expect the fix in 10.1 (tomorrow? don't hold your breath, but maybe.)

Ernie
Mar 23, 2001, 03:21 PM

Thanks for the info. I was wondering about this. I logged in as root and cant change them either. Glad Apple will have an eventual fix. However, by the time it comes out I probably wont be displaying them anymore. I hardly ever go to them. I find myself using the Go menu a great deal. I only go to the disks out of 'muscle memory'. For me, the Go menu and the little Finder in the dock are easier and quicker than digging through my drive.

Same thing with the Apple menu. I am going up there by reflex only. I am really starting to appreciate the dock. I put an alias of the OS 9 Apple Menu there and I can get to everything I need quickly and easily by clicking and holding on the folder icon in the dock.

Nice job Apple... and it will only get better...

Just my 2 �

Forum Links
Forum Rules