Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Can you save terminal 'styles'

Can you save terminal 'styles'
Ernie
Mar 28, 2001, 10:24 AM

Hello!

Is there a way to save terminal styles? For example, I like to have my terminal set up as a semi transparent blue with white text. But I would also like to have differnet 'styles', like semi-transparent black with green text, etc.

Is there a way to save a terminal 'style'? Or do I just have to keep manually making the changes in Terminal prefs every time I want a different 'look' for my terminal?

Thanks,

timm
Mar 28, 2001, 01:19 PM

haven't found a way yet... but you can save the individual preference files after saving & swap 'em out by script - the preference file's called com.apple.Terminal.plist, which you probably know if you've been writing to it, & it's located at Users/[username]/Library/Preferences/ it's not the cleanest approach, but only takes a few secs & don't even need to quit Terminal... just open a new window. good to see applescript back in X.

gralem
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 28, 2001, 04:27 PM

Yes, there is a way to save your styles. You have to do them one at a time, but that's OK. Also, I don't know if you can vary the amount of transparancy between styles--it is a default behavior.

I have about 7 terminal settings I use to connect to different machines. I like to have them different colors, so I know which one I'm connected to.

Pull up Terminal.app. Go to "preferences". In "Startup", change "When Terminal Starts Up" to "Do Nothing". (I also recommend going to "General" and changing "When Shell Exits" to "Always close the window", but that could be your pref/security/debugging reasons.)

Now modify the rest of the terminal preferences however you'd like them to be. A good way to know what stuff you can modify for your "styles" is whatever you can see in the "inspector" (cmd-I "command-eye"). Once you have your settings, select "Shell"..."Save As...". I recommend that you save it to your desktop. It adds the extention ".term" to the filename. I have them connecting to a whole bunch of different machines (via rlogin), so I name them my machine names.

And you can make them do things like "rlogin machinename". You can replace the "shell" command from "/bin/tcsh" to "/bin/rlogin machinename". (NOTE: rlogin/telnet/ftp are all insecure over the internet compared to ssh/sftp, but in a closed environment, like I use, it's not too bad).

VERY IMPORTANT INFORMATION!!! Only edit one terminal window at a time when setting up styles. Set your style, close Terminal.app, restart to see the changes. Then do the "Save As...". When you do a save, EVERY TERMINAL WINDOW YOU HAVE OPEN WILL BE SAVED WITH POSITION AND COLORATION IN THE ".term" FILE. This means if you need to edit these files individually, set up each style the way you like and carefully save. Then when you double-click on the "style.term" icon on the desktop, you will pull up only the style you want.

One other cool thing, though. Let's say you always want to have 3 terminal windows open with different styles. Edit each style individualy as I have described. Then pull up ALL 3 STYLES by clicking on the 3 ".term" icons. Once they are all up and positioned on the screen the way you like, do another "Save As..." and call it something like "everything.term". When you open up that file, all 3 styles open up where you wanted them to be with the correct colors/styles.

One other thing: When you open up the ".term" icons, the resulting terminal window will ALWAYS OPEN in the exact position the window was when the "Save As..." took place. It will not "cascade" the windows as you open the same "style.term" icon again and again.

Hope this helps. Please ask further questions if you'd like.

---gralem

Gavin
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2001, 10:17 PM

As long as we're on the subject. How can I make a shell script clickable?

I double click it's icon, it pops open a terminal window and runs.

You can take the dude out of So Cal, but you can't take the dude outta the dude, dude!

Forum Links
Forum Rules