Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Why does Login setting always connect to the internet

Why does Login setting always connect to the internet
Ernie
Jan 5, 2002, 01:22 PM

Question:
Whenever I go into the Login prefrence and click on the login tab, the system always connects to the internet.

Does anyone know why this happens? Why would I need to be connected to the internet to change my login settings?

Thanks!

Brazuca
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2002, 02:42 PM

Originally posted by Ernie:
<STRONG>Question:
Whenever I go into the Login prefrence and click on the login tab, the system always connects to the internet.

Does anyone know why this happens? Why would I need to be connected to the internet to change my login settings?

Thanks!</STRONG>
I'm not sure why, but it seems that lookupd keeps trying to resolve some DNS queries at odd times. You will notice that if you turn off the option to 'connect automatically when launching TCP/IP apps' in the Network prefs, it won't connect anymore.

Check out your console log to see what is actually happening.
"It's about time trees did something good insted of just standing there LIKE JERKS!" :)

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2002, 05:08 PM

Originally posted by Ernie:
<STRONG>Question:

Does anyone know why this happens? Why would I need to be connected to the internet to change my login settings?</STRONG>
Some of the login settings are stored in NetInfo, and since NI can be set up to inherit settings from other machines on the network, I'm guessing it might be related to that... But it shouldn't be, these are local configuration values anyway. Hmm... Does the Users preference do the same?

mr. natural
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2002, 05:32 PM

Whenever I tried to open Users in System Preferences it would launch Internet Connect. I finally tracked it down to Mail and the "Check accounts for new mail" option if it is set to anything but "Manually."

Invoking "Users" fires up any user's web accounts in Mail, which starts looking for any new messages, which launches Internet Connect.

Choose "Manually" for the "Check accounts for new mail" in the Mail app Preferences and that should stop Internet Connect from launching.

[Edit] While this works, sometimes IC is triggered as well by the auto-connect of TCP/IP apps in the PPP Options of your Network settings too.

[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: mr. natural ]

"Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give the appearance of solidity to pure wind." George Orwell

Ernie  (op)
Jan 6, 2002, 01:19 PM

Thanks to all for your great help. Setting Mail to check manually fixed it.

Thanks again!

Forum Links
Forum Rules