Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Formac Studio DV Transverter

Formac Studio DV Transverter
Feathers
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 30, 2001, 09:56 PM

My Formac Studio just arrived today. WooHoooo! Awesome. It's totally transparent (the ads don't really show this) and works smooothhhh out of the box. BetaSP straight to disk.

tr
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2001, 10:55 PM

Hey Feathers,

Could you give some info on what machine you are using, and if you had to install any drivers or anything to get it working? Also, how is that speaker on the unit for monitoring? (I thought that was kind of an odd feature, but I guess it's a simple solution to monitor) I've been itching to get one, but I haven't seen any reviews yet.

And the Clear is really transparent? That's cool I was thinking it was going to be some sort of frosted color, like a more transparent snow iMac...I guess I'm getting Clear, not silver

thanks,

tr

Feathers  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 31, 2001, 06:38 PM

To work with FCP or iMovie requires NO drivers at all, they just think that it's another camera!

The only software to load (and you don't even have to) is the ProTV thingy for using the tuner etc or using it to capture outside of another application which is handy 'cos then I can capture using the Radius Codec from MotoDV (Free with Cleaner 5) rather than the Apple (Ugh) Codec.

Yes, it's totally see-through. A bit of a surprise to be honest. I would've liked a graphite tint maybe but way better than that horrid silver that looks like soemthing out of Earth:Final Conflict!!!!!

The speaker is just like using the speaker in a TRV900 or whatever. I like the confidence aspect of it. Call me paranoid but just 'cos something is coming out of the Mac's own speakers doesn't mean it's going anywhere else, right?

It's also bus powered (although it will take a wallwart supply)unlike that revolting new Dazzle* DV thingy (which I think is still PC only).

Feathers  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 31, 2001, 06:47 PM

Hi,

My machine is DVSE with an internal 46gig IBM 7200rpm drive, a gig of RAM and a Post-Op FCP Custom Keyboard. And the Formac Studio, of course.

It doesn't require ANY drivers, FCP and iMovie just think there's some unknown camera connected. You don't have device control unless you configure that separately with a TAO box or something.

It's completely clear although I would've liked a hint of Graphite.

I like the speaker, it's like monitoring off a TRV900 or similar. Call me paranoid but just because something is coming out of the Mac's own speakers, doesn't mean it's going anywhere else, right? So the confidence monitoring element is reassuring!!!! You also have proper phono connectors to connect to a DAMN BIG AMP if you want!!!

It runs off the Firewire bus power, so no extra cables either!

I'm happy

Feathers  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 31, 2001, 06:50 PM

Sorry about the double post. Things must be working really slow tonight. The first one hadn't gone through by the time I got directed back so I posted again. They're not exactly the same so I'll leave them both up!

elzinat
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2001, 05:00 AM

don't worry about it
the fora were going highly buggy toady.
if you want to edit your posts to combine them into one I'll delete the other, but you don't needn't bother if you don't feel like it.

Oh, btw, welcome back, feathers!

------------------
be happy!
-mac freak

iloveloosey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 1, 2001, 10:23 PM

feathers,
how does it look-- picture quality?

audio quality?

what is the compression ratio used? can you see any artifacts?

what resolutions are supported?
thanks!

btw, it seems perfect for cube owners who gripe about having no audio out. and, apparently, even the clear casings will match...

madgreek
Dedicated MacNNer
May 20, 2001, 08:03 AM

Hmmm maybe feathers is on vacation I too am interested in the quality and such as I just ordered a Studio, but have to wait a couple weeks before it's shipped.

Before I saw the Formac studio I had been looking for a good TV/Radio box for my PowerBook G3 FireWire and then later on I was going to look at a DV converter. Having all three in one box is what brought me to the Formac and I hope it was worth it.
Power Mac Quad G5 2.5GHz, OS X 10.4.10
===
Aluminum 23" HD Cinema Display
===
Aluminum 15" PowerBook G4 w/Superdrive
===
iPhone 8GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules