Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Weird - iPad Stopped "Seeing" My Belkin Keyboard

Weird - iPad Stopped "Seeing" My Belkin Keyboard
ghporter
Administrator
Oct 9, 2013, 09:32 AM

I upgraded my iPad 2 to iOS 7.0.2 yesterday or late the day before. I had gotten a Belkin "Ultimate Keyboard Case" for my iPad for my birthday this past spring, and I've really enjoyed using it. Until this morning, when it stopped typing. I thought "the battery is low, I'll charge it." No go. It was weird that this just stopped, and that I couldn't get it working again. Then I got an idea...I paired the keyboard with my iPhone and it worked fine. Hmmm.

So I restarted the iPad and the keyboard still didn't work. Once I had the iPad "forget" the keyboard, and then I re-paired it, THEN it started working again.

So maybe iOS 7.0.2 (both iPad and iPhone) may goof up existing Bluetooth settings. I dunno if that's what it was, but it sure did show up pretty soon after I upgraded. Thoughts?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

P
Oct 9, 2013, 11:29 AM

I don't know, but I can make a wild guess. iOS 7 appears to have updated its Bluetooth support to add a few services, mainly related to low-energy operation. From what I can google up, it appears that to use the low energy mode, you have to use version 4.0 of the protocol, so clearly the iPad now supports Bluetooth 4.0. If you're using version 4.0, you must use the newer pairing protocol. At a guess, it was previously paired using Bluetooth 2.0 and the old pairing protocol (Bluetooth 3.0 was never widely adopted), but now that the iPad's Bluetooth stack has been updated, the iPad wants to use a newer version. To make this work, it needs to re-pair.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Oct 9, 2013, 09:39 PM

Wow. That actually makes sense. I thought it would have more to do with iOS 7 being impacted by solar activity or aliens.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules