Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Problems connecting to samba share on Linux

Problems connecting to samba share on Linux
diamondsw
Senior User
Dec 10, 2004, 06:06 PM

Hello all, I have a problem with a samba share I'm trying to access, and I can't tell whether things are borked on the Linux side or on the OS X side. For background, I'm trying to connect from OS X 10.3.6 on an iBook to a Linux 2.6.9 kernel with Samba 3.0.8.

The symptoms are:
1) I can see the server ("Behemoth") in the Network entry in the Finder. On clicking on it, either I get the "connect" pane in column view, OR it disappears saying the alias cannot be found. Refresh Network and it's back again.
2) If I get as far as clicking "connect", I sometimes still get the "alias cannot be found" error; sometimes I get the list of shares ("Data" is the one I want) and an authentication option. I authenticate (successfully) and click connect.
3) At this point, I always get the "alias cannot be found" error.
4) However, if I mount via "Connect to Server", everything works fine, as does performing a mount_smbfs at the terminal.

So, I can work around it, but I'd like to know why I can't browse properly.

Here's my testparm and smb.conf info:
Code:
root@behemoth# testparm /etc/samba/smb.conf Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf Processing section "[Data]" Processing section "[homes]" Loaded services file OK. Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE [global] workgroup = WORKGROUP netbios name = Behemoth server string = Samba Server %v log file = /var/log/samba3/log.%m max log size = 50 log level = 3 hosts allow = 10.0.1. 127. security = user encrypt passwords = yes smb passwd file = /etc/samba/private/smbpasswd socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192 interfaces = eth0 local master = yes os level = 33 domain master = yes preferred master = yes name resolve order = wins lmhosts bcast wins support = yes dns proxy = no preserve case = yes short preserve case = yes [Data] comment = Server Data path = /mnt/data valid users = me public = no writable = yes printable = no browseable = yes [homes] comment = Home Directories browseable = no writable = yes

Forum Links
Forum Rules