Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Got my 17" 1.33 Powerbook today! Keeper?

Got my 17" 1.33 Powerbook today! Keeper?
kmarketing
Mac Enthusiast
May 24, 2005, 04:59 PM

Hi,

Okay, I received my 17" powerbook 1.33ghz today, and I am really happy with it. I mantioned in another post that I bought it for $1200, and I think that it is a great deal. It wasn't difficult for me to sell my previous 12", 15" or even my rev a 17", but the 1.33 seems to have everything that I would probably need for a couple of years. Even the battery life and airport range are terrific.

So now, I have a g5, the 17" and my beloved pismo. I'm certain this is overkill for what I need, but the 17" is really a machine to behold. Size doesn't really bother me, and actually I prefer that to the 15" and the 12". When I need something rugged on the road, I have my pismo. My wife doesn't let me touch the g5 since she says that is her machine

My question now is, is the 17" a keeper? I think from now on, I will be looking at 17" powerbooks over any other model. How is this older model comparable to the newer ones? Do you think that this one will hold its own against them? Are there particular feautures of the newer ones that might make you say, sell this one and look towards the newer ones?

It's definitely interesting, because I know I can make money off this one. But until then, this powerbook and my pismo will go hand in hand. I didn't have as much enjoyment with my 12" or 15" as I do with the big guy.

Let me know your thoughts!!

roadracr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2005, 08:52 PM

God, how I hate posts such as this! I mean, if you start with "I received my 17" powerbook 1.33ghz today, and I am really happy with it", then why do you need the approval of the forum to decide whether or not to keep your new toy? If you're really "certain this is overkill for what I need", and you've already owned 12" and 15" models, what can we really help you with?
G4 PB15, 1.67 GHz, 512 MB RAM, 128 MB VRAM, 100 GB HD
G4 iMac20, 1.25 GHz, 768 MB RAM, 160 MB HD

jdiddy
Forum Regular
May 24, 2005, 09:07 PM

Where the hell did you get it for $1,200 thats a heck of a deal.

Lesterm10
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2005, 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by roadracr
God, how I hate posts such as this! I mean, if you start with "I received my 17" powerbook 1.33ghz today, and I am really happy with it", then why do you need the approval of the forum to decide whether or not to keep your new toy? If you're really "certain this is overkill for what I need", and you've already owned 12" and 15" models, what can we really help you with?

I agree with you. If he said he's happy with it, plus he's tried the 12 and 15, and loves the size of the 17 inch, why ask if it's a keeper? Hello, you're happy with it. If you weren't happy, why buy it in the first place, maybe it's buyers remoarse, but if you're asking if you should keep it, you just answered your own question.
Dell Dimension XPS Gen 4 | P4 3.6 Ghz | 2GB of Memory | 160GB HDD | 80GB HDD | Dual Layer DVD-RW | DVD-ROM Drive | ATI Radeon X850 XT PE | Internal 10 in 1 Media Card Reader | Sony HX73 17 inch Silver LCD Monitor | Logitech DiNovo Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse

Apple Powerbook 12" rev. D | 1.5 Ghz G4 | 1.256GB of Memory | 80GB HDD | SuperDrive

kmarketing  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 25, 2005, 07:28 AM

Hi,

I think part of it is buyer's remorse, and then part of it is wanting to have the newest and best. I sold the latest 15" that I had, to keep the pismo as my cheapest laptop to own, so that when newer machines came out I would have saved up the most money for that. The money that I received for my 15" was a few hundred more than what I ended up paying for this 17", but I guess my constant question becomes do I keep it or sell it to get a profit. I think if this machine is very comparable to the newer 17" powerbooks, then this wouldn't be much of a question.

Sorry if this sounds irrational.

d.fine
Mac Elite
May 25, 2005, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by kmarketing
My wife doesn't let me touch the g5 since she says that is her machine
Haha, that sucks! I'd fight... for your right... to use the G5 (or to party )

Keep it, I'm never gonna get rid of my 15" RevA PB, I love it and it has zero problems. And I mean never! My grandkids will play with it and say 'damn that thing is old, but looks so nice!'

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

Forum Links
Forum Rules