Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Recommendation for Mac-friendly home media center

Recommendation for Mac-friendly home media center
diamondsw
Senior User
Jun 23, 2005, 04:21 PM

I'm looking for an inexpensive device that will allow me to easily access video stored on my networked iBook and file server. Something like this, but without the Windows lockin BS:

http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=1&pid=318

This is a nice, Mac-friendly product, but seems to rely on an internal hard drive of its own rather than files on the network:

http://tvixusa.com/default.asp?id=60&mnu=51

Does anyone have any experience with other products, their ease of use, etc?

boardsurfer
Jun 23, 2005, 04:47 PM

Check out the EyeHome from El Gato. I use it and find it pretty awesome. You can store the movies anywhere you like, and play them from your tv like a tivo.

diamondsw  (op)
Senior User
Jun 23, 2005, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by boardsurfer
Check out the EyeHome from El Gato. I use it and find it pretty awesome. You can store the movies anywhere you like, and play them from your tv like a tivo.
I like the sound of the deep Mac integration, but I don't like the fact that it *only* works with a Mac and requires specific software. One thing I am trying to avoid is any kind of lock-in, which to me means playing content from a plain vanilla network share.

I already had my Tivo Desktop taken away due to their unwillingness to update for Tiger; I don't want to wind up in the same situation again. So as nice as this looks from a pure Mac perspective, I'll pass.

Forum Links
Forum Rules