Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Photo Booth Eliminates Processor Noise

Photo Booth Eliminates Processor Noise
bondsteel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 24, 2006, 07:17 AM

As reported in the Apple Support Discussion Forums by a number of users, opening and then minimizing Photo Booth eliminates the CPU humming sound. This noise (a "whine" or "humm") seems to occur when the processor is mostly idle, perhaps at the lowest CPU speed setting. Opening Photo Booth requires about 2% CPU use (per Activity Monitor), and this is enough to eliminate the sound. Or maybe turning on the iSight camera alters the voltage somehow.

This seems to be a fairly common problem (at least amongst 2.0 and 2.16 Ghz) models. I find the sound to be really bothersome, and I plan to call Apple about it today.

bloodline
Forum Regular
Feb 24, 2006, 09:30 AM

I'm really curious abut the "whine", as all my x86 laptops have suffered from it, but my PowerBook doesn't... Have apple been cheap on some components with the MBP?

terigox
Forum Regular
Feb 24, 2006, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by bloodline
I'm really curious abut the "whine", as all my x86 laptops have suffered from it, but my PowerBook doesn't... Have apple been cheap on some components with the MBP?
I have an HP laptop with Pentium-M 1.5ghz and it seems to suffer from this as well, but like you said, it only is relaly noticeable idle.

But why is your system idleing?!?! get to work!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 24, 2006, 10:14 PM

Who wants to sacrafice battery life to eliminate the humming/buzzing sound?

dndog
Feb 24, 2006, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by mduell
Who wants to sacrafice battery life to eliminate the humming/buzzing sound?
Who wants to hear a buzzing sound?
(sold)12" 1.33ghz iBook G4 512mb Ram [my first osx mac, way too slow]
(sold)15" 1.67ghz 1gig Ram Powerbook [I need more power a.k.a. Macbook]
15" 1.83ghz 1gig Ram MacBook Pro

DKeithA
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 25, 2006, 12:07 AM

Some people will always find a problem with anything Apple releases. 'These horizontal lines are unacceptable.' 'The MBP buzzes/whines.' Geeze.

hickey
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2006, 12:50 AM

i dont think ive ever had my pbook completely at idel to be able to hear such a thing. Im always typing, or listening to music, or watching a movie, or being productive.

diamondsw
Senior User
Feb 26, 2006, 04:32 AM

I can hear a quiet hum coming from the upper left corner, near the MagSafe connector - is that what people are discussing? Sometimes it does quit briefly, but the Photo Booth tip above makes no difference for me.

Personally, I'd also like to get rid of the noise, but it doesn't bother me much.

Forum Links
Forum Rules