Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Does this make me a racist

Does this make me a racist (Page 2)
Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
May 27, 2011, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Ummm. That wasn't an example - that was the first step in changing your mindset to one of freedom rather than slavery.
I completely get it. Unfortunately, I don't think you realize how much it reinforces the point opposite of yours:

When you have vaster resources of money, one is freer to adopt a mindset of freedom rather than slavery.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
May 27, 2011, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
I completely get it. Unfortunately, I don't think you realize how much it reinforces the point opposite of yours:

When you have vaster resources of money, one is freer to adopt a mindset of freedom rather than slavery.
Untrue. Sledgehammers cost the same whether you're rich or poor - less than an average family McD's meal.
The resources differential only comes into play if you intend to go and buy another TV when you've done it - which defeats the point in doing it.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
May 27, 2011, 08:37 AM

The resources differential only comes into play if you intend to go and buy another TV when you've done it - which defeats the point in doing it.
True. Many weathly people are bound to *that* slavery as well.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 27, 2011, 08:49 AM

Let me expand a little:

Most people here is Shitain have their savings in a 3% account.
Really poor people don't have savings.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Doofy
Clinically Insane
May 27, 2011, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Really poor people don't have savings.
I know. It's hard to have savings when you go and buy a 52" plasma and subscribe to the full 1,000 channels of shite package with Sky.

My car is dirty. So far, nobody has knocked on my door and offered to wash it for a fiver. Therefore, there are no really poor people in the UK.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
May 27, 2011, 09:07 AM

I know. It's hard to have savings when you go and buy a 52" plasma and subscribe to the full 1,000 channels of shite package with Sky.

My car is dirty. So far, nobody has knocked on my door and offered to wash it for a fiver. Therefore, there are no really poor people in the UK.
Most really poor people don't have 52" plasmas. I will admit that some do, but not most.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
May 27, 2011, 09:12 AM

Most really poor people don't have 52" plasmas. I will admit that some do, but not most.
You're right. They're on 60 inchers nowadays.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 27, 2011, 09:42 AM

You have the wrong idea about poor people. Poor people actually have jobs but they lose half of their salary in one form of tax or another. They have to have things like cars in order to get to work because public transport is shit and not really much/any cheaper when you use it every day. They might even own their own houses. Technically.

You are thinking of the people who claim to be poor but get a free roof over their heads, and the heads of their many kids. Who don't have to work at all but somehow still have money for booze, cigarettes, lottery scratch cards Sky Sports and the local bookies. Those people don't have money to put in savings because what doesn't go on the above goes on paying off the finance on their Argos 60" TVs (Does anyone buy plasma anymore?), so you are right in that respect. These people think they are poor but I agree with you that they aren't.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Doofy
Clinically Insane
May 27, 2011, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
You have the wrong idea about poor people. Poor people actually have jobs but they lose half of their salary in one form of tax or another. They have to have things like cars in order to get to work because public transport is shit and not really much/any cheaper when you use it every day. They might even own their own houses. Technically.
I thought we were talking about "really poor people", not your average peasant.
And of course, your average peasant these days still buys loads of crap they don't need from Argos.

Like I said. Slaves.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2011, 11:00 AM

I'd really like to stop being a slave, not just from the TV (which I hardly ever watch because Frog TV is really really shite), but from what I consider are the 'consequences' of being Mr. Normal : Married, 2 kids, 2 cars, mortgage, job etc. There is however my extreme need to limit risk - I blame my father.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
May 27, 2011, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
I'd really like to stop being a slave, not just from the TV (which I hardly ever watch because Frog TV is really really shite), but from what I consider are the 'consequences' of being Mr. Normal : Married, 2 kids, 2 cars, mortgage, job etc. There is however my extreme need to limit risk - I blame my father.
Go to Amsterdam and be a man whore!

Or email me and tell me about your database skillz. I'm in need. Profit split.

nobull  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 22, 2011, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
Neither of these appears to be even close to the truth. In fact, I'll bet all four percentages are completely wrong.
You would br wrong...

nobull  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 22, 2011, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
Table A-2. Employment status of the civilian population by race, sex, and age

Unemployment rate From BLS:

Code:
White 2010 9.6 9.7 9.3 8.6 8.5 8.7 8.7 8.6 8.3 8.1 8.4 8.3 8.7 2011 8.8 8.7 8.3 Black 2010 17.3 16.2 16.6 15.9 15.3 15.6 16.6 16.3 15.9 15.2 15.4 15.2 16.0 2011 16.5 15.6 15.5

Historical Unemployment rate

Where can I find the unemployment rate for previous years?

re-read my post..

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 22, 2011, 04:22 PM

You mean "reread the post I stole."

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 22, 2011, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
It's not what capitalism is about, but it is in human nature. We have thousands of years of evidence that points to one group controlling the majority of wealth forcing the rest into servitude.
Thousands of years of wealth being acquired through force. The key characteristic of capitalism, when properly free from government coercion, is that it is 100% voluntary and protects people's rights. You can't be forced into servitude in a system based upon voluntary relationships.

Free market capitalism evolves into neo-fuedalism very quickly without a checks and balance system.
You keep repeating this lie.

This ridiculous fallacy that in order for one person to gain wealth, another must necessarily lose wealth, needs to die.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2011, 03:36 AM

If anyone wants to understand what I'm talking about, go and grab a sledgehammer and put it through your TV - right now. You won't... Because you're a slave with a slave mentality.
No thanks. I'm a business owner, and an employee, and modestly well-invested. And I happen to enjoy a good movie or TV show now and then. (Honestly, who doesn't?)

So putting a sledge hammer through perfectly good entertainment equipment is just a waste of money. And stupid.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2011, 03:41 AM

My car is dirty.
Put a sledge hammer through the windshield and get back to us. Free your mind.

Monique
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2011, 03:52 AM

If the rich were so generous you would not need welfare; and it is a myth that people want to be on welfare and it is a skin color issue.

You are not racist just a conservative that thing everyone can do it by themselves and no one need help.

The only thing I am agreeing with you is affirmative action, time has past and it is not time to give it a rest.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2011, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE View Post
Put a sledge hammer through the windshield and get back to us. Free your mind.
I think you're missing the point Crash. My car doesn't spew adverts at me for crap I don't need.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2011, 03:59 AM

I think you're missing the point Crash. My car doesn't spew adverts at me for crap I don't need.
It allows you to drive past billboards for crap you don't need. The Man got you right where he wants you.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2011, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
Thousands of years of wealth being acquired through force. The key characteristic of capitalism, when properly free from government coercion...
In other words, a system that doesn't exist. For example, the constant extension of IP way beyond what is reasonable is coercion. Another example, when the gov't given billions to the military-industrial complex far beyond what is reasonable, that is coercion. Another example, when the gov't bans some kinds of drugs to protect the market for other kinds of drugs, that is coercion. Another example, when the gov't blocks the import of sugar from the Caribbean and subsidizes the American corn industry, that is coercion. I could go on and on and on.....

There are literally millions of wealthy Americans who made their wealth thru the coercion of gov't policy, and stuff millions into the mouths of politicians for even more power. The system of capitalism you believe in doesn't exist.

The worst tragedy: libertarians like you spend almost no time discussing these egregious crimes, but you whine and moan about art grants and welfare moms without end.

This ridiculous fallacy that in order for one person to gain wealth, another must necessarily lose wealth, needs to die.
On the contrary, it happens every day. See above.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jul 23, 2011, 10:07 AM

True, but let's consider what they do have including more than one vehicle, cable or satellite tv, air conditioning, microwave, nearly half actually own their homes and the average home owned by persons classified as poor by the Census Bureau is a three-bedroom house with 1.5 baths, a garage, porch or patio, and more sq footage of living space than the average individual living in Paris, London, Vienna, Athens, and other cities throughout Europe. More than a third have a dishwasher, virtually the same consumption of vitamins and minerals as the middle class and in fact consume more than 100% the recommended daily allowance of protein on average, and more than a third with both a landline and cellular phone service. The majority cause of poverty? Parents who aren't working and absent fathers. Statistically, the typical poor household with children is supported by an average 16 hours of work per week. By working 40 hours per week, nearly 75% of children living at poverty level would be lifted out.

So no, we're not providing a "tired old comparison between people in the US and people abroad", but citing how much better a lifestyle is being lived in the US as "poor" than virtually anywhere else on the globe. This comes at a price and that price is an increasing income disparity between rich and poor which again has zero to do with quality of life among both.

The poor here will not admit it because A. They're on a computer, likely an expensive Mac B. They're still mired in angsty "damn the man" youth or... C. Do not want to be held to account for their monetary behaviors that would decidedly indicate exactly why they remain poor.
ebuddy

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2011, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
In other words, a system that doesn't exist. For example, the constant extension of IP way beyond what is reasonable is coercion. Another example, when the gov't given billions to the military-industrial complex far beyond what is reasonable, that is coercion. Another example, when the gov't bans some kinds of drugs to protect the market for other kinds of drugs, that is coercion. Another example, when the gov't blocks the import of sugar from the Caribbean and subsidizes the American corn industry, that is coercion. I could go on and on and on.....

There are literally millions of wealthy Americans who made their wealth thru the coercion of gov't policy, and stuff millions into the mouths of politicians for even more power. The system of capitalism you believe in doesn't exist.
Without quibbling over the details of your examples, I agree. People with blind faith in the benevolence and competence of the government, combined with an irrational hatred and mistrust of everyone who has something that they themselves don't have, would never allow it.

It's a shame.

The worst tragedy: libertarians like you spend almost no time discussing these egregious crimes, but you whine and moan about art grants and welfare moms without end.
I'm not a Libertarian (though, I may have referred to myself as one before I realized fully what they were) and they don't speak for me. I don't remember ever going on about these things. Maybe a few years backā€¦?

On the contrary, it happens every day. See above.
Yes, it happens through the government. Sounds like an argument for the separation of government and economics to me.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2011, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
So no, we're not providing a "tired old comparison between people in the US and people abroad", but citing how much better a lifestyle is being lived in the US as "poor" than virtually anywhere else on the globe. This comes at a price and that price is an increasing income disparity between rich and poor which again has zero to do with quality of life among both.
It wasn't my intention to start a war between "poor in fattyland" and "poor in euroland".

Point is, most people (in any country) who whine about there being no opportunities only miss those opportunities because they're too busy sitting on their arses watching TV.

Originally Posted by Trent Reznor
Slave screams he thinks he knows what he wants
Slave screams thinks he has something to say
Slave screams he hears but doesn't want to listen
Slave screams he's being beat into submission

Slave screams he spends his life learning conformity
Slave screams he claims he has his own identity
Slave screams he's going to cause the system to fall
Slave screams but he's glad to be chained to that wall

screener
Senior User
Jul 24, 2011, 04:24 PM

only miss those opportunities because they're too busy sitting on their arses watching TV.
I expected better from you, alright, I lied.

Forum Links
Forum Rules