Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Wireless ethernet bridge products

Wireless ethernet bridge products
veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Mar 25, 2003, 07:47 AM

While I am trying to find answers for my wireless router problem, I come across some wireless ethernet bridge products:

Linksys wireless ethernet bridge WET11
D-Link Ethernet-to-Wireless bridge DWL-810
(another other products around?)

and of course 2x AirPort Extreme base station can also do wireless bridging (but would it turn out to be an expensive way to do it?)

Now I would like to know are:

1. Do I need two identical products in order to bridge one network to another? (i.e. can I mix and match products, or even one wireless bridge on one end, and then a wireless router or even Airport baser station... would it work?)

2. Does these bridges allow AppleTalk?

3. Do these bridges generally work OK through brick or concrete floors and walls?

Thanks in advance.

John Strung
Senior User
Mar 25, 2003, 02:00 PM

The WET-11 bridges a wireless network to a wired network. It does not bridge two wireless networks if that is what you are trying to do. Also, it does not support AppleTalk.

I am not familiar with the D-Link.

schalliol
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2003, 12:01 AM

niceguy,

Did you get a solution? There are other wireless access points that can bridge as well.
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

tsukurite
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2003, 12:54 AM

I'm using a WET11 to connect my HP digital Entertainment Center upstairs, to my airport wifi lan (the airport is downstairs) and then onto my cable modem. It bridges fine, with no problems.

Setup can be a pain to get started, but once you're in it, it's straight forward. I have no problems with connectivity to my airport, but I'm still investigating implementing WEP so none of my neighbors can piggy-back my connection.

Can't speak to Appletalk as I'm running a mixed environment with TCP/IP, however, I don't think Appletalk is expressly supported, but isn't there an implementation of Appletalk over IP?

All in all, it's been a nice reliable piece of hardware.

-tsukurite

veryniceguy2002  (op)
Senior User
Jun 3, 2003, 08:43 AM

Originally posted by schalliol:
niceguy,

Did you get a solution? There are other wireless access points that can bridge as well.
No, I ended up kind of abandoned my idea of wireless bridging... I got a Asante wireless bridge for my cable connection, and just wait until I win the lottery or save enough money...

Forum Links
Forum Rules