Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > When Did Your Favorite Software "Jump the Shark"?

When Did Your Favorite Software "Jump the Shark"?
Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 14, 2006, 08:47 AM

Here's a thread about Mac software that happened to Jump the Shark at some point.

1. MacLinkPlus
When it was good: The utility was excellent back when it was bundled with Mac OS 8.0. The MacLinkPlus was a file translator that allowed your program of choice to open a similar program's file as if it were its own. The version bundled with OS 8 was fast, accurate and transparent - the translation was so good you really could forget it was in use.

When did it jump? at least by version 10, which I upgraded to a few years after getting it with OS 8. This version launched a slow application every time it had to convert a file, and the results were not very good once the translation was done. It was very disappointing to realize the program was now more trouble than it was worth. I think the designers of version 10 tried to code it more cleanly, without resorting to that much extension trickery, but it never worked nearly as well as the old version. I trashed it a few weeks after installation.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules