Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > InDesign - bad Image quality

InDesign - bad Image quality
HamSandwich
Feb 1, 2017, 10:29 AM

Hello,

I have a problem in InDesign and it's a bit urgent. I inserted many images, screenshots this time, and somehow, the image quality lost a lot, it decreased immensely. Looks not so good :-( How to fix this? Any settings? I tried creating a PDF and there you see the decrease in quality as well. (I also changed to this different mode, "Überdruckenvorschau", dunno what it is in English, this different preview where you can see what it looks like printed, but it still looks ugly).

Any help? I can reinsert the images. The images are scaled in InDesign, is that the problem? I could scale them in Photoshop, of course.

Greetings,
PeterParker

andi*pandi
Feb 1, 2017, 01:37 PM

What resolution are you trying to print? Is this to prepare for professional printing?

Indesign generally has a quick preview mode which is not full quality, but it sounds like you tried the print-ready mode as well.

Screenshots are generally 72DPI. Print requires 300DPI. You can try to swap that in photoshop, and you will have a much smaller image that will be print-ready.

Thorzdad
Feb 1, 2017, 09:23 PM

Is it that they look bad on screen, or that they print bad? I believe there is a control that forces only the low-rez version of placed images to display on-screen. This speeds up the app a bit.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2017, 02:49 PM

Sounds like an image resolution issue, A 72 dpi screen image (such as a screen shot) will not print well. As Andi says print images require 300 dpi. In addition scaling the images has the same effect as reducing the resolution, so a 300 dpi image that is enlarged 200% will have an effective resolution of a quarter of its original. I general you can scale images down 70% and up 130% and still be OK, although these days people seem to ignore the downsizing rule.
Also, when you print your pdf check your output settings. They may be set to reduce images to 72dpi as the pdf is created.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Forum Links
Forum Rules