Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook Pro makes weird clicking noise...

Macbook Pro makes weird clicking noise...
Libid21
Nov 26, 2010, 05:15 AM

I have a MBP that I bought around August this summer. It's a 15". Whenever I have it on my lap or somewhere that's not a flat surface, it makes a weird ticking noise. It's as if something is loose inside of it. It doesn't make any noise when it's on my desk but makes noises when I move it around even a little bit on my lap or on my bed/couch.

I googled this online and some of the things they have are random so I don't know which site to go with or which suggestion to roll with. I figured I'd ask here to make sure. I don't have an Apple store near me so I'm hoping this isn't anything serious.

Thanks.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 26, 2010, 05:22 AM

Clicking is usually hard drive. Next time you hear it, put your ear to the case, it should be coming from the front edge (not sure which corner on the current units, probably the right). If thats where the click comes from, its your drive.
Incidentally, if you are carrying it by the front right corner when you move it, that will cause a click from squeezing the disk too much. Don't do that.

Other clicks can be caused by optical drive, speakers and even the CPU back in the Core Duo MBPs. Hard disk is more likely though. Unless its clicking while powered off, in which case its a loose screw more than likely.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2010, 08:31 AM

The clicking is the sudden motion sensor parking the hard drive. Some machines are (far) more sensitive than others.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Libid21  (op)
Nov 29, 2010, 12:03 PM

So this isn't anything to worry about? Even when I slightly touch the bottom of the Macbook, it clicks too. I have a suitemate who also has the same 'problem'. Is there any way to fix this or is this completely normal?

reRESERVEDMD
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2010, 01:58 AM

No, nothing to worry about. As Doc HM said, it's SMS locking the drive whenever it senses sudden movement. I used to hear it whenever I tapped the bed on which the laptop was lying. Switch to SSD for absolutely quiet workspace!
MacBook Pro 15" Intel Core i7 2.66Ghz/4GB/GeForce 330GT M 512MB/Corsair 128GB SSD
Mac Pro coming soon
iPhone 4 32GB Black

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2010, 06:11 PM

You can disable the sms if you want:
Apple Portables: Advanced tips for Sudden Motion Sensor

I wouldn't though. It's quite useful.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Libid21  (op)
Dec 14, 2010, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by reRESERVEDMD View Post
No, nothing to worry about. As Doc HM said, it's SMS locking the drive whenever it senses sudden movement. I used to hear it whenever I tapped the bed on which the laptop was lying. Switch to SSD for absolutely quiet workspace!
What's SSD?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 14, 2010, 06:23 AM

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules