Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > setup wrt54g w/o info or pc

setup wrt54g w/o info or pc
pyn
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 11, 2005, 08:18 PM

my router sometimes has problems and the settings are reset, so i used my old pc to reconfigure it w/ the cd since it doesn't work one macs.

but now we threw the pc away b/c it sucked and the router had some problems and now i can't configure it to connect w/ the internet. i need have it "automatic dhcp" and i need the host/domain/static dns servers which were previously done by the cd. i use wrt54g and comcast cable

is there a os x setup utility or can i get the information w/o contacting the comcast? i hate their support which SUCKS i hate support people

f1000
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2005, 09:19 PM

Can't you just log into the router via a web browser? Try doing a hardware reset of your router first and then type in http://192.168.0.1.

pyn  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 11, 2005, 09:29 PM

i'm sorry. maybe you did not figure out that the only way i can know what i am missing is by looking right at the admin panel...

f1000
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2005, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by pyn
i'm sorry. maybe you did not figure out that the only way i can know what i am missing is by looking right at the admin panel...
You don't need any settings from Comcast. The default settings on most routers will work right out of the box with Comcast cable modems.

According to the WRT54g manual, all you have to do is type 192.168.1.1 into your Safari web browser to adjust any settings via a browser interface, ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pdf/wrt54g_ug.pdf.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 11, 2005, 10:30 PM

Really, that CD that came with the router is for PC users that got picked up for school on the "special bus." It's absolutely NOT needed. The router (ALL of Linksys' routers, in fact) is accessible through your browser by entering its default IP, 192.168.1.1 in your browser's address box. EVERYTHING that the CD does you can do by yourself on any computer that has a browser. ANY computer, as long as the browser supports a high enough level of HTML (Lynx probably won't work, but any browser from the last five years or so will).

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

f1000
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2005, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Really, that CD that came with the router is for PC users that got picked up for school on the "special bus."

pyn, do a hardware reset of your router so that I know we're both on the same page. Plug in an Ethernet cable from your Mac to the router. Make sure that your Mac network settings are for "Using DHCP".

Open up a Safari window and type http://192.168.1.1 into the URL and press enter. You should get a password prompt. Enter the default password mentioned in the manual. At this point you should get a web page that allows you to make adjustments to your router's configuration.

Most routers are set to use DHCP by default. All you have to do is plug it into your cable modem and you should be ready to go.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 12, 2005, 09:58 AM

Make sure you plug the ethernet cable into one of the LAN ports (and NOT the uplink port). The hardware reset is accomplished by powering off the router then powering it on while holding the reset button for at least 30-60 seconds; depending on which router model you have, a "DIAG" or "POWER" light will flash when you've held it long enough. No, it's not written that way in the manual-lots of things aren't in the manual. The default username is blank, and the default password is 'admin' without the quotes.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

itasor
Jun 12, 2005, 10:34 AM

Just a note, if you can't get into the admin panel once you've reset, mine was:

USERNAME: admin
PASSWORD: admin

Not username as blank like stated above. Just try some of those combinations like admin/password and you should be fine.

pyn  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 12, 2005, 08:09 PM

well i figured it out.

i had to unplug the router for a long while (minute) before it started working with my router.

thx

Forum Links
Forum Rules