Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Is my TV going?

Is my TV going?
Mac Write
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2007, 10:52 PM

I have a 1992 Toshiba 27/29 (not sure anyways), at the bottom it's developed a 1/20-1/10th back bar using the AV in on the back (only one in) and a 1/20th line at the top. Since I run my computer into it 99% of the time, the software black bar at the bottom appears in the solid black bar as a horizontal strip with a thin thin black bar on the top an a bigger on the bottom, add in a vertical split in the middle of that software black bar.

Here let me give you a photo, it might explain it easier. Also, how long do you think I have before it goes. A new TV isn't exactly an expense I can afford.

Get busy living or get busy dying
--Stephen King

abe
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2007, 04:23 AM

Yes, and if your refrigerator is running you should hurry up and catch it or you won't have any appliances left.

If you can't afford a new one right now try Sal's, Vinnie's or Willie's.
America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 16, 2007, 09:18 AM

It may well be on the way out, it is an old TV. The flyback in our old '92 Sony went earlier this year, we managed to buy another similar Sony off a local couple who were emigrating. Great clear picture, unlike our old one before if finally died.

Keep a lookout around your town for people selling/giving away TVs, also check Craigslist, everyone will be wanting rid of their TVs as they upgrade to LCD and Plasma.

Out of curiosity, what resolution does your computer display on the TV?

Railroader
Banned
Aug 16, 2007, 10:03 AM

Used CRTs are CHEAP right now. I saw a 32" Sony in the classifieds last week for $50. With everyone buying new HDTVs, older "outdated" models are pretty much free for the taking. As a matter of fact, I have a 27" that is collecting dust and taking up room while I try to figure out where to put it.

Mac Write  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2007, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by seanc View Post
It may well be on the way out, it is an old TV. The flyback in our old '92 Sony went earlier this year, we managed to buy another similar Sony off a local couple who were emigrating. Great clear picture, unlike our old one before if finally died.

Keep a lookout around your town for people selling/giving away TVs, also check Craigslist, everyone will be wanting rid of their TVs as they upgrade to LCD and Plasma.

Out of curiosity, what resolution does your computer display on the TV?
I run my computer at 640x480 to get the clearest image, but it can go upto 1280x720. The image is crisp, it's just this black bar on the bottom and another thin one on the top. I want to know what it means, what's the cause of the problem.
Get busy living or get busy dying
--Stephen King

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 16, 2007, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
Used CRTs are CHEAP right now. I saw a 32" Sony in the classifieds last week for $50. With everyone buying new HDTVs, older "outdated" models are pretty much free for the taking. As a matter of fact, I have a 27" that is collecting dust and taking up room while I try to figure out where to put it.
I got a used Panasonic 32" with component input for free, the case was slightly cracked but the picture is quite nice for a CRT.

Railroader
Banned
Aug 16, 2007, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I got a used Panasonic 32" with component input for free, the case was slightly cracked but the picture is quite nice for a CRT.
Perfect! We donated our old Sony 27" Wega to a local Children's group home near us.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 16, 2007, 07:38 PM

I can't see throwing away a perfectly good TV. Props to your donation, Railroader.

I also got another TV for free, its a 35" Trinitron that has a few problems, so far it's been fixed enough to make it turn on, but no picture. meh, either way it's free.

Forum Links
Forum Rules